Sponsored by:

Wheel Bolt Floating Washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Wheel Bolt Floating Washers

If you've ever changed your wheels you know that there is a floating washer that sits between the head of the lug and the threads (see between the arrows in the pic). This washer is made such that it cannot be slipped off of the bolt.

I am buying 14 mm rear wheel spacers for my new snow tires/rims from H&R via Tire Rack. The spacers come with longer bolts to accomodate the extra width of the spacer BUT do not have the little floating washer - which is necessary.

Damon at Tire Rack has told me (and has offered) that one can cut the Porsche bolts in half, remove the floating washer, and bore it out slightly so that it will fit the new bolts by slipping over the threads. This has been done but necessitates trashing a new set of Porsche wheel lugs.

My Questions are:
1) Does anyone know a source of just the floating washers?
2) Has anyone gotten around this spacer problem using the aforementioned technique or some other way?

THANKS!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Coochas,--they're considered "captive" washers. Any washer that will fit will work. If you get a crushable one it will work fine after you tighten them down the first time. Of course, the reason for being captive is so you don't lose them.

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not know of a source for just the washer.

Some people can pry it off the bolt. If that does not work then take a grinder to the ridge that keeps it from sliding off.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question - Can't you order a new set from Porsche or am I missing out on something...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Coochas,--they're considered "captive" washers. Any washer that will fit will work. If you get a crushable one it will work fine after you tighten them down the first time. Of course, the reason for being captive is so you don't lose them.

Dan
Thanks Dan,...have you used a crushable washer in this setting??? It's an experiment that I am reluctant to try!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Do not know of a source for just the washer.

Some people can pry it off the bolt. If that does not work then take a grinder to the ridge that keeps it from sliding off.
I think this is what Damon at Tire Rack says people have done.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Stupid question - Can't you order a new set from Porsche or am I missing out on something...
No,...the problem is that with a 14 mm spacer you basically need another 14 mm worth of bolt - hence the stock ones just aren't long enough (and I thought buying a Porsche was going to put this whole length thing to rest).
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Coochas,

I think this sounds harder than it is. First off, do not screw up the OEM lug bolts with the captive washers. You'll want them for May 15th when you pull the snows off.

I would find any washer that can deform a little and fits the inner and outer diameter requirements. Remember, the purpose of these washers to to make sure that the lug bolt will freely turn until it snugs up at the torque values, and not affect the wheel's bolt opening.

With the massive spacers you need to bring your snow tires out to the edge of the wheel opening you're going to have to deal with an aftermarket wheel guy for the longer bolts. (Remember, Porsche offers two bolt sizes for the 2005-06 997s,--the regular size, and the ones factory delivered with the 5mm spacers on them.)

This is nothing serious,--any competent wheel shop should be able to help you out. If you have trouble, get a hold of Jerry Peligrino who's got a great P-shop near Wellesley.

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Coochas,

I think this sounds harder than it is. First off, do not screw up the OEM lug bolts with the captive washers. You'll want them for May 15th when you pull the snows off.

I would find any washer that can deform a little and fits the inner and outer diameter requirements. Remember, the purpose of these washers to to make sure that the lug bolt will freely turn until it snugs up at the torque values, and not affect the wheel's bolt opening.

With the massive spacers you need to bring your snow tires out to the edge of the wheel opening you're going to have to deal with an aftermarket wheel guy for the longer bolts. (Remember, Porsche offers two bolt sizes for the 2005-06 997s,--the regular size, and the ones factory delivered with the 5mm spacers on them.)

This is nothing serious,--any competent wheel shop should be able to help you out. If you have trouble, get a hold of Jerry Peligrino who's got a great P-shop near Wellesley.

Dan
Thanks very much Dan!
Someone on 6Speed recommended these bolts http://www.boothedesign.com/boltsstudslugs.html which look like they'll also do the job.
I'll post again when I come to the final solution. Is Jerry Pellegrino's shop in Wellesley MA? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:42 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
No,...the problem is that with a 14 mm spacer you basically need another 14 mm worth of bolt - hence the stock ones just aren't long enough (and I thought buying a Porsche was going to put this whole length thing to rest).
I knew I was missing out on the obvious! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 AM
raffi
Pro

Hey coochas,
No need for grinder or any special machines.
If you want to keep everything looking the same without grinding on the metal all you need is a plier.
The kind that opens up wider like a "double joint" i dont know what its called.
one end at the tip of the lug bolt the other in between the washer and head.
all you need to do is squeeze close with firm pressure and keep rotating around, this will take approximately 5 minute per bolt. you will feel and hear as the piece of metal keeping the washer on wears away.
all you need is some strength and patience but at least you will not harm anything...
I did the first few of my bolts with a grinder but then found this method was cleaner and actually easier with some bolts...
tell me how it works out.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Think I would have opted for the PORSCHE 17mm spacers..

Centering elements on either side for a perfect union with wheel and hub. This set of two also comes with 10 wheel nuts.$249.95
Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raffi
Hey coochas,
No need for grinder or any special machines.
If you want to keep everything looking the same without grinding on the metal all you need is a plier.
The kind that opens up wider like a "double joint" i dont know what its called.
one end at the tip of the lug bolt the other in between the washer and head.
all you need to do is squeeze close with firm pressure and keep rotating around, this will take approximately 5 minute per bolt. you will feel and hear as the piece of metal keeping the washer on wears away.
all you need is some strength and patience but at least you will not harm anything...
I did the first few of my bolts with a grinder but then found this method was cleaner and actually easier with some bolts...
tell me how it works out.
Thanks...I'll consider it.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Think I would have opted for the PORSCHE 17mm spacers..

Centering elements on either side for a perfect union with wheel and hub. This set of two also comes with 10 wheel nuts.$249.95
I thought those were only for the 996? Not that it should make a difference?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 17mm spacers come stock with the new Carrera Sport wheel if ordered on a '06 Carrera 4 etc.

The design makes more sense than just extended wheel bolts..

Quick Reply: Wheel Bolt Floating Washers