Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997TT pics Interior too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 12:49 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
No, I have not seen the introduction of a manual transmission into F1 racing.
No, I have not met anyone who can shift faster than a DSG equipped car, or an F1 racing gearbox.
Hate to break it to ya, but that tippy magic tronic in the Turbo? It aint a SMG type system.

Give me a P!

Give me an R!

Give me an N!

And finally, give me a D. This magical D mode is the magic behind the tansformation of the uncoordinated into the sports car "driving" "Enthusiasts."

Let's hope that at least the 997 Turbo and GT3 will still have a real engine in it, and not the M97 bored out boxster piece of junk that costs nothing to manufacture and cannot be rebuild.

M64 uber alles.
Old 01-09-2006 | 12:36 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I see you're as passionate on the subject as I am stuka... just realize that the type of posts you're writing will just **** off those you're trying to convince - they won't be convinced no matter what you say, even though the heart of your argument is exactly right. Some people do, indeed, take the "everything is relative, everything is equally great" viewpoint, and they can't handle criticism - in fact, they take criticism of new Pcars as an attack on themselves. This is because they probably define themselves by the badge on the hood of their car, whether they admit it or not...

Their responses are usually "you're just jealous because you can't afford a new one." Amazing how insecure some guys can be.
Old 01-09-2006 | 02:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
Not everything is relative. In the sports car world, torque convertor as a transmission sucks in every sense of the word.

Oh, and the automatics that you are talking about, that aint what's in the Turbo. The tippy magic tronic in the Turbo is merely a fancy torque convertor pile of doggie doodoo that most uncoordinated leave in D while sipping latte with their other hand and posing down the boulevard.

Porsche doesn't currently have any real SMG type system, and a torque convertor is a torque convertor. It sucks.

Sorry if I am not into the everything is relative, everyone is great new age crap. Torque convertor serves only one purpose, it magically transforms the uncoordinated poseurs into sports car "driving" "enthusiasts."
Sure,...if you say so.
Old 01-09-2006 | 02:47 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pcar964
Their responses are usually "you're just jealous because you can't afford a new one." Amazing how insecure some guys can be.
Well, it's always quite funny when they realize that I have a 996 Turbo.

What? Me jealous of some M97 POS?

I really don't know what PAG is doing. 3600 pound Turbo with less than 500HP. Who do they think they are? Sure, poseurs will keep buying the 3600 pounder Turbo with tippy magic tronic, but I suspect that many 996 Turbo owners (myself included), will be taking a long hard look at other available chorices.

Namely, the Z06. More HP, lighter, and has a dry sump block that Chevy races as well.

Unlike all the crap M97 that PAG is not even itself confident enough to race.
Old 01-09-2006 | 03:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
Well, it's always quite funny when they realize that I have a 996 Turbo.
Maybe people just make the assumption because your tone and thought content is more consistent with a 'drive my dad's Subaru' profile.
Old 01-09-2006 | 04:08 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Coochas
Maybe people just make the assumption because your tone and thought content is more consistent with a 'drive my dad's Subaru' profile.
I suppose this is the new demographic that PAG is going after, the tip cab 997 and the VW truck owners.

After all, us track driving M64 owners with a real gearbox should let the latte sipping tippy magic tronic owners be, right?

Good luck on your M97, hopefully it won't blue smoke on you with its "integrated dry sump" that PAG itself doesn't even dare to race.
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:25 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Stuka I am with you against the tip tranny etc... but the 997TT you hate so much will not be that much different than your 996TT... Yours is a 3,400 lbs pig with only 420hp... What were you thinking when u bought it? AWD, ABS, ESP, Antispin etc... it nealry drives itself...

You see it is all relative... my car is 2,300lbs with 310hp... still a pig compared to some sub 2,000lbs early 911s with 3.6 Vrams in it...
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:58 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think all the cars since the 964 have been pigs in terms of weight, but even a 993 can be trimmed down to 2700lbs or so... The 994 and then 996TT are so heavy that it would be near impossible to even get under 3000lbs without turning it into a racecar, so they are indeed pigs. Throw in the amount of electronic nannies and crap in the new cars, and I agree that stuka you've picked the wrong Pcar if you are indeed a purist. My car is a daily driver in the south Florida heat, and I simply wouldn't be able to enjoy driving an early 911 that didn't have good A/C, so I had to compromise and get a 993. As great as it is, it's not a purist machine in the same vein as an old 911S, or a 930.
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:02 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pcar964
I think all the cars since the 964 have been pigs in terms of weight, but even a 993 can be trimmed down to 2700lbs or so... The 994 and then 996TT are so heavy that it would be near impossible to even get under 3000lbs without turning it into a racecar, so they are indeed pigs. Throw in the amount of electronic nannies and crap in the new cars, and I agree that stuka you've picked the wrong Pcar if you are indeed a purist. My car is a daily driver in the south Florida heat, and I simply wouldn't be able to enjoy driving an early 911 that didn't have good A/C, so I had to compromise and get a 993. As great as it is, it's not a purist machine in the same vein as an old 911S, or a 930.
I know the Turbo is the wrong car, and I am looking for a yellow GT2. Yes, must be yellow, and must have clearbra put on the first day it was driven off the lot, see my post on other sub forum. It needs to have clearbra on because it has proven its value to me after 12 track events and some 185mph stunts and my car still has no chips.

Tall order I know. Failing that, when the lease is up, I will probably get a GT3. Whether it be 996 or 997 depends on whether PAG puts the posuer POS M97 block in it or not.

The PSM is really annoying. Even the lowly E46 M3 can be held in a double locked power on drift, but PSM won't let me, no doubt because of the demographic.

All that being said, the Turbo has the M64, it has a real gearbox, and at the time of the purchase, was the only viable option in the P car world. Back in 2003 GT3's were scarce, and GT2's were going for ridiculous prices.

Quick Reply: New 997TT pics Interior too!!!