Sponsored by:

Single CD player problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Cytoboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single CD player problem

Only 2 weeks and 300 miles into my 06 C2S and I have discovered a problem with my single-CD, in dash CD player. The vehicle is NOT equipped with a remote changer.

With increasing frequency, and apparently independent of the disc, I have found that shortly after beginning CD play---I receive an error message saying "unable to read CD", and immediately thereafter I see the entire PCM screen turn white with a few vertical (?) colored pixel lines. This pattern repeats itself within 10 seconds of restarting the CD. The radio then comes on the preset station and receives the broadcast normally. I have not noticed any track skipping or other audio problems simultaneously.

As I am relatively new to this site; I may have missed an earlier thread.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its somewhat common, take it in for replacement.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a busted single-cd player too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Mine does not work either. Never has worked. I am waiting to see if there is any other issues the come up so I can deal with them all at once.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:38 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CD Player & Radio Quirks

This is something that started about a couple of weeks ago. I was coming home, listening to a CD, and was about to pull in my garage when all of a sudden, just as I was really getting into a particular track, the CD quit playing and the radio suddenly came on, tuned to a rap station that obviously is not on my list of presets. I thought that was really weird and (maybe it was because I had a beer or two - okay maybe 3 or 4) thought that I had accidentally hit the AM/PM button turning off the CD in the process. But that wouldn't explain the radio tuning to 105.9, the hip-hop station. I ignored it thinking I must have done something weird to cause that.

So a few days passed of listening to nothing but the radio, as I usually do anyway, completely forgetting about the CD, and nothing out of the ordinary popped up until one day during the holiday break as I was getting in the car inside the garage I see that the CD is sticking out of the player like a tongue sticking straight out at me. It was a little spooky, like a scene early in a poltergeist movie just as a demonic spirit is taking over little by little and you see manifestations here and there, at which point you usually hear an audience member say "Run, get out of there!"

Well, I shoved the tongue back in and got in and drove away listening again to the CD. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. And I wasn't suspecting anything to be amiss at all, thinking that first episode was just a quirk or inadvertently caused by me. So last Friday night as the wife and I were heading out to dinner listening to KLOS (one of my favorite stations) out of the blue, with both hands on the wheel and my wife's hands on her lap the radio changed stations just like that and "tuned itself" to that Power 106 station. Weird. It's like some rap demon doesn't care for my choice in music and has taken over my radio and tuned it to what he likes whenever he wants.

Anybody else experience anything remotely like that with the radio changing stations on its own? I realize it may require replacing the PCM unit but I'm gonna wait a while until it happens more regularly so I can demonstrate to the service reps.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben, I believe some one mentioned the same thing in other thread. What you need to do is to un-check the Traffic Program. It was set for European setting for the traffic info and there is none in LA or something like that. Try to un-check the Traffic Program. It should work. I did that on mine. Good Luck
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Um - will try this as well as I too had a reading error on a CD...
Old 01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Ben, I believe some one mentioned the same thing in other thread. What you need to do is to un-check the Traffic Program. It was set for European setting for the traffic info and there is none in LA or something like that. Try to un-check the Traffic Program. It should work. I did that on mine. Good Luck
You know, come to think of it, I recall now that when the CD quit playing and the radio came on tuned to that station, that there was a text message along the bottom of the screen that said something about traffic alert this and that.

I must have missed that thread in my search. I'll try searching under Traffic Program to see if I can find it and see what happened in that case.

But thanks, Stephen King, I appreciate it. Hey wait a minute, you didn't have anything to......nahhhh
Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Ben-I pulled these words from that thread......

"For radio tuning problems, turn off Traffic Alert and Traffic Program to prevent the radio from tuning to 106 by itself"
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Hey, why didn't you post the thread link? ... I searched under Traffic, Traffic Program to no avail, and I searched in the 987 forum as well.

Please post link. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Ben,
My audio is doing the same thing...Traffic Alert, then hip hop. Everytime the hip hop comes on I have an urge to do a drive- by. Help me!!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
OCBen
Banned

In that case, I'll see to it that Joe posts that link real soon. Wouldn't want you driving down my street when that urge hits you! ..
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
In that case, I'll see to it that Joe posts that link real soon. Wouldn't want you driving down my street when that urge hits you! ..
check your PM

grasshopper
Old 01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks Joe.

This was discussed in Rennteam and here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=1#175460

Apparently this bozo hip-hop station is transmitting the wrong frequency codes and causing radios in the LA area to switch over to them. Hey, that's insidious and sounds a lot like that redirect virus I have on my browser at home that I can't shake loose. Sounds like intentionally malicious programming to me. Controlling the airwaves is one thing, controlling my radio, now that's where I draw the line.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

jfscheck, Mine is at the dealer as we speak to replace the head unit. Mine never worked and I still have my Pearl Jam CD stuck in the unit. I had to wait a few weeks for the unit to come in so I would suggest you bring it in and get the process started.

Quick Reply: Single CD player problem