Sponsored by:

Self Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Morphine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Self Dimming Mirrors

With the short days and the increased amount of night-time driving I really wish I had self dimming mirrors. Does anyone have them on their car and do they work well? Does anyone know if they can be installed by the dealer? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 AM
P997C2S
Advanced

Yes they work very well and can also be shut-off.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/184444-anyone-add-the-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror.html
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
MMD
Banned

My opinion is not THAt great. If you're driving on lighted expressways, no problem. If I'm on dark roads I still have to knock the mirrors down so they're not in my eyes. (note: I'm not talking about the function of the manual re-alignment tab here). To see what's behind me I then have to move my head more. So, assuming the non-auto dim have that little re-alignment tab, which would serve you well on occasional driving on lighted roads, I don't think they are a "must have" option.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

yet another feature that should be standard on a $90,000 vehicle.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

I have them and they work well.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, should be standard equipment.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by MMD
My opinion is not THAt great. If you're driving on lighted expressways, no problem. If I'm on dark roads I still have to knock the mirrors down so they're not in my eyes. (note: I'm not talking about the function of the manual re-alignment tab here). To see what's behind me I then have to move my head more. So, assuming the non-auto dim have that little re-alignment tab, which would serve you well on occasional driving on lighted roads, I don't think they are a "must have" option.
Except that the self-dimming feature also works with the side view mirrors which are also a source of glare from SUV's and those who insist on driving with their brights on.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:45 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine works great and is a must have in the land of SUVs.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 AM
PV
Pro

They work well, with as remark that you don't see to much detail anymore besides the head lights.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
FlyingLow
Racer

I think it's hilarious that OCBen doesn't even respond to posts anymore, he just inserts links to other threads that answer the question.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
P997C2S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speed
Except that the self-dimming feature also works with the side view mirrors which are also a source of glare from SUV's and those who insist on driving with their brights on.
Don't forget the fog lights the idiots insist on using 24/7.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
I think it's hilarious that OCBen doesn't even respond to posts anymore, he just inserts links to other threads that answer the question.
Yeah, pathetic isn't it? Bordering on being disrespectful. But after seeing so many of the same topics coming up time after time I can almost point with my eyes closed to where this was discussed before in detail. So as a service to the thread starter I do a search for him and show him where this very topic was discussed before, perhaps more enthusiastically than the second or third or fourth time around. (At least I've refrained from throwing out the DAFS meanie - hopefully you guys have noticed that.)

I don't know about you guys but I can't get enthused talking about something I specifically remember talking about not that long ago. I guess for those with short-term (or long-term) memory problems it may seem like a new topic of discussion and begin yapping away like women at a Tupperware party. But for me, it's like the movie Groundhog Day - been there, done that, said that.

What is really annoying (and this happened a couple weeks ago) is when a poster starts a new thread while being oblivious to the same exact topic just a few rows down!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, pathetic isn't it? Bordering on being disrespectful.
I don't know about you guys but I can't get enthused talking about something I specifically remember talking about not that long ago. I guess for those with short-term (or long-term) memory problems it may seem like a new topic of discussion and begin yapping away like women at a Tupperware party. But for me, it's like the movie Groundhog Day - been there, done that, said that.
:
Nature of the internet. It's HUGE. Lot's of people with lots of concerns.

I LIKE walking into a local coffee house and everybody keeps to themselves, doesn't overtly check you out, but is available to you if you make the effort. They leave you alone and let you adjust.

I HATE walking into some local coffee houses and everybody stares at you and checks you out like you're a stranger just walked into their kitchen in their house.

What's the difference? To a certain degree this site and the coffee houses are PUBLIC places. Why expect a non-regular visitor or newcomer to know exactly what's going on, what's been going on for the past year?

Insted of having to monitor and listen in on conversations at a coffee house (in many cases the exact same conversation that's been had five hundred times before), maybe just keep quiet and let what happens happen?! Let people enjoy themselves?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I like the coffee house analogy, but I also see OCB's point: A few posts are like some newcomer walking into a coffee house, requesting everybody's attention, and then asking: "Do they sell coffee here?"

Quick Reply: Self Dimming Mirrors