997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006 | 05:23 PM
canick
Advanced

I've got to voice my full support for OCBen on this matter. Of all the forums I have ever participated in this is by far the most relaxed in terms of self-monitoring repetitive threads. The upside of that is newbies (like myself - I'm the first to admit) are made to feel welcome. The downside is that a lot of topics get repeated over and over because someone failed to do a simple search before making a post. There is a point when the board can become so cluttered with repetitive threads, new information/ideas can get lost and the overall relevance of the community suffers.

In addition to reminding people of the search function, my other nit is the high use of non-descriptive thread titles. Searching only works if the topics make sense - Help Me, Need Help, Need Answers, etc. are not really helpful in generating a historical record to search through.
Old 01-04-2006 | 05:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
Insted of having to monitor and listen in on conversations at a coffee house (in many cases the exact same conversation that's been had five hundred times before), maybe just keep quiet and let what happens happen?! Let people enjoy themselves?
Bad analogy. My point was obviously beyond your grasp.

The poster came looking for information on a particular option, perhaps to make a critical buy decision. I simply pointed him to an excellent thread that has very detailed information including a technological explanation of how this amazing technology works. To sit idly by and not speak up (as you're suggesting) would be a disservice to this individual. I know I would appreciate it if someone pointed me to a wealth of information that would be useful to me in my decision making process.

You internet café analogy, however, is an excellent description of how our OT Forum functions. Anything and everything is discussed there, from what the Pope said the other day to what you think the final score of tonight's game will be, with no strict adherence to the subject at hand. You can chat away in mindless chatter to your little heart's content in this internet cornucopia of subjects. I think you would find this more to your liking if you're the type that enjoys such meandering discussions. And I highly recommend you become a Rennlist Member just for the privilege of participation. Bring your own coffee, though.

But in here, as the sign hanging outside the door says, it's strictly for technical discussions, where people come to learn and be informed and not necessarily be entertained, though occasionally that too happens.
Old 01-04-2006 | 06:47 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
not necessarily be entertained, though occasionally that too happens.
Like now! Sorry for starting the ****, I just thought it was amusing (and helpful) Ben. As a matter of fact, Ben, you should change your name to HelpfulBen, now I'm cracking myself up. Sorry dudes. Wish I still lived in Huntington Beach so I could meet you.
Old 01-04-2006 | 07:09 PM
MMD
Banned

But in here, as the sign hanging outside the door says, it's strictly for technical discussions, where people come to learn and be informed
So your daily commentaries reflecting the OCBen-topia Worldview, they don't belong here either? Just wondering. And, I thought this was just a hobby-related board with people who merely enjoy discussing their 997/s cars. I'm glad there are some hobby-zealots here who can set examples for the rest of us to follow.
Old 01-04-2006 | 08:18 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Wish I still lived in Huntington Beach....
Next time you're in town, you bet! Just shoot me a PM and maybe I can round up a few of us Rennlisters for a meet and greet and drink or two!
Old 01-04-2006 | 08:22 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Yeah, pathetic isn't it? Bordering on being disrespectful.
I disagree. I dont think it is disrespectful at all.

I asked about the GSM phones a while ago and I did search and I couldnt find it.

I greatly appreciated that you posted the link.

Then again, I have been on news groups and such since 1991, and so maybe stuff that would have started flame wars just dont bother me anymore.

This forum would lose a lot if OCBen wasnt here and stopped posting the previous links.
Old 01-04-2006 | 09:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

OCBen rules!
I really do think we need a emoticon.
Old 01-04-2006 | 11:29 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Message board forums are a good tool for communing, which provide opportunities to meet new people and share information. They leave a lot to desired in terms of indexing, searching, and overall information archtecture. The forum does not scale well as a "reference library" unless someone is constantly reorganizing information as it becomes available (reference librarian).

OCben is doing his best (as reference librarian) to point people in the right direction, although I think the "do an f'ing search" idea is a bit harsh considering how poor the search results can be.

Example:
a new user wants to find information on Sport Exhaust.
sport exhaust - yields 190 Threads
"sport exhaust" - yields 130 Threads

Many of these threads with multiple pages. Faced with this, I'm guessing most people will choose the path of least resistence and create a new thread, which will yield an answer, a link pointing to a useful thread and/or a scolding.

If they conduct an Advanced Search and select "Search Titles Only" from the pull down menu, 6 threads are returned. Much more manageable, but requires drilling down to a level most users will not explore.

+ Brainstorming... +
Create a Wiki provides much better organization of information for "reference". All the information relating to Sport Exhaust can be consolidated into one page and is editable by anyone with additional knowledge to share.

Much more to discuss on this topic. Let's explore how we can make this a better place for communing and reference.

Cheers!

Last edited by zumaron; 01-05-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-05-2006 | 11:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
So your daily commentaries reflecting the OCBen-topia Worldview, they don't belong here either?
Daily commentaries??? ... I think you're confusing me with some columnist who also has apparently gotten your goat. ... "OCBEN-topia Worldview"??? ... Is that anything like Wayne's World?

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "Methinks the man doth protest too much."
Old 01-05-2006 | 11:31 AM
MMD
Banned

Daily commentaries??? ... I think you're confusing me with some columnist who also has apparently gotten your goat. ... "OCBEN-topia Worldview"??? ... Is that anything like Wayne's World?

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "Methinks the man doth protest too much."
Sorry, I'm still peeved at you for your hostile and patronizing remarks made to and about me. But I will now make it a point to forgive (I can't harbor these stupid negative emotions).
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well, if I said anything that hurt your feelings, I do apologize right here and now. It was never my intent to be hurtful.
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:16 PM
MMD
Banned

Thanks (mee too).
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Good New Year, new friends and buried grudges.

OT- Even if your desired team didn't win last night you have to admit it was a very entertaining game.
Old 01-05-2006 | 12:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, they just made too many mistakes against a good opponent. Can't do that and expect to come away with a win.
Old 01-05-2006 | 03:49 PM
PV
Pro

Agree with that, all in the spirit of the self dimming mirrors.

Can I nominate OCBen for Librarian, or is that not the way it works?

Quick Reply: Self Dimming Mirrors