How much profit is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much profit is enough?

How much profit is there in a C4S Cab with $13K in options?

I walked away from a deal to buy a new C4S Cab today because the dealer would only give me a very small discount on a car that is sitting in the showroom and was not probably going to sell immeditely. The car has an MSRP of $113K and doesn't have a CD Changer or Power Seats. I bought my Boxster from them over the summer so I was a previous customer but they let me walk rather than taking $1500 less profit.

I was already taking a huge hit on my trade in and I know they were just passing that part of the deal through. No profit or loss on their side.

Oh well, just venting.....they lost me as a customer for life.

UPDATE: Sales person calls me and says he is willing to put in $500 of his money into the deal. No budge from the dealership. I politely declined.

Last edited by mrpc12; 12-22-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
MMD
Banned

I'd just forget about it and wait and see. You've had a few very nice cars so you know the drill (excitement and thrill of delivery turning into modest delight and pleasure of ownership after a few weeks). Maybe in six months or a year you might feel like buying again.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
canick
Advanced

I think your discount seems more than fair. If you are still willing to deal if they were to meet your price, just tough it out. It is the end of the month and the end of the year. They may become more aggressive with their pricing if they are trying to make their numbers and know they have someone on the hook...or maybe not. Stupid though (on their part), why lose a repeat customer over $1,500 (not to mention the service and possible add-on parts revenue).
Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ask the dealer that question? Don't take it personally and go away mad. They still like you; they just probably think someone else will make a better offer. If not, you can probably eventually get it for what you offered, or even less. Whatever the market will bear is usually, but not always, sufficient profit. They're just trying to maximize profits and minimize losses over the long haul. A friend of mine bought a new 1989 944 Turbo for $13k off the $47k sticker price, but the dealer was desperate because the car had sat on the lot for almost a year. Many 1993/4 RSA's apparently also sold for below dealer cost. In fact, many Porsche buyers bought cars at below dealer cost due to a struggling economy. Buyers didn't mind dealers losing money on cars at the time, so some dealers went under. I get the feeling that it's more of a sellers' market now, so we pay up or walk, but no need to be mad at them because they chose not to sell at your price.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frankly, their car has some pricey options that I would not have ordered if I was choosing. So, if they are not willing to knock a measly $3K off MSRP then I'm better off ordering a car from another dealer and even if I pay full MSRP I would be ahead of the game.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wait you will almost certainly be able to strike a better deal elsewhere. If you're not prepared to walk out of the dealership you will never get what you are looking for price wise.

Most dealers will call you back. Dealers net offer (sale price minus trade in) was about 4 K hifger than what I thought was fair. Walked out and they called me the next day and said they could do it for my numbers.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:10 PM
FredGarvin
Track Day

Default Just Wondering ???

I'm just wondering what you do for a living and if you would mind discounting your services or product for $1500.00 knowing full well you and your product are worth more than you are asking?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Worth" in this case means market value, which is not necessarily sticker price (MSRP). In a sellers' market, dealers sell at MSRP or higher; in a buyers' market they discount as much as needed to move cars. Someone recently reported that his local Chevy dealer was asking $10k over MSRP for new Z06's, and getting it. That might help them recover some of their losses on cars that are not selling well.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

You did the right thing...just the fact that you're a repeat customer and you're trading a car (they do make money on the used lot too) should garner you a 3K discount...I would think this time of year you could get 5-6% from dealers who want to sell cars.

Fred-this is a $113K car...I do discount my services for repeat clients, more like 10%.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Build the car on edmunds.com for fun and you can see cost and profit. Here, I think this link should work for your zip code, 94087 or -86 - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/pors....html?action=1

It's early in the release cycle for that car. Give it a year and you'll get it or more. If you're set on this spring for the ride, here's what I learned during my go around with my dealer for 5% off MSRP on a $115K ordered C2S -

Jim Pappis ( x212 ) at Champion Porsche in Pompano, Florida told me that Champion would go $3,500 off MSRP anytime... just for asking. They are the largest Porsche dealer in the USA and if allocations are to be had, they'll have them. Closer to home, Craig Breuer at Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas offered $1500 to win my business. Might want to give one or both a call.

As far as my local dealer goes... they will give me 5% off MSRP as a good customer discount ( 3 cars in 12 months ) or I will buy from one of those two out of desire to build the relationship that my local dealer ain't givin'.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 AM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fred: I've bought plenty of cars and know the game. This car is not going to be so easy for them to sell near MSRP. How many people do you know who buy a $113K car with manual seats, no CD Changer, no bluetooth, yada yada.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
searching4996
Racer

Now that was a poor business decision on their part. I'll bet you get that from another dealer within minutes for a 113k car. I wouldn't go back to them after that either.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Walk away, you'll find plenty of cars to buy.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Chilipadi
Track Day

which dealer was it? Just for our info...
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mrpc-i have purchased about 8 porsches over 20 years. i live in northern nj, in proximity of at least 6 porsche dealers. i have just ordered a c4s coupe. the smallest discount that i was offered was $1000 off msrp by a dealer who told me that these cars were hard to get. the next dealer told me that he could give me $2500 off. i eventually ordered the car from a dealer who gave a much larger discount. my point is that you can find widely divergent deals from dealers that are in close geographic proximity. some dealers are looking to sell cars and make less profit. other dealers will hold onto their cars for months in order to find a buyer that will pay them more money. just try some other dealers-there are and will be plenty of c4s cabs-you will find a deal that you are happy with.

Quick Reply: How much profit is enough?