Sponsored by:

Spin the Topic - Non Sequiturs on the 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spin the Topic - Non Sequiturs on the 997

Let's how long it takes the Thread Police to move this one.

It's been rather slow and dull in this forum the last couple of days, and so in the interest of generating discussion of any kind and keeping things alive here, I thought a meandering thread on anything remotely related to the 997 would be of some interest. No need to relate to any previous post here, hence the thread title. It could just be a sounding board, whatever. But I think if you throw in the words "997" anywhere in your post, it should pass the scrutiny of the Thread Police.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Tough crowd!

Okay, did you hear about the psychic amnesiac? [997] He knew in advance what he was going to forget.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird fact...

my 997 C2S is quicker and louder with one fabspeed header on the long side and the stock exhaust manifold on the short side.

Just as weird is that I have enough time on my hands to try stuff like that.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

BTW - I need help R-ingTFM... does anyone know what page the torque values are for the C2S's wheels and, so I can recognize the page when I get there, could someone tell me what torque values are on that page. I can find it.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know how to install the 5-mm wheel spacers on the C2S? My girlfriend ordered a set for me for Christmas (yes, she's a keeper), and was wondering if I could do this at home or whether I needed to take the car to the dealership.

And since this includes any 997 thoughts, I wanted to also add that instead of having my sport chrono set at "911" as others have done, I've set mine to "997" just to be a little different.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Just as weird is that I have enough time on my hands to try stuff like that.
Ahhh ... I bet it's nice to be retired at such a young age!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was never a big Porsche fan growing up but have seen the light and think the 997 is one of the best cars on the market. Kind of makes me regret all those years I wasted on Corvettes. Now if they could just move that engine forward a couple of feet the car would be perfect
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ahhh ... I bet it's nice to be retired at such a young age!
997 C2S. I don't know... I got treated for far more STD's when I was working. My doctor has been bored as hell lately. 997 C2S.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by fuenfer
And since this includes any 997 thoughts, I wanted to also add that instead of having my sport chrono set at "911" as others have done, I've set mine to "997" just to be a little different.
Huh? Sorry to be so stupid.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:12 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
BTW - I need help R-ingTFM... does anyone know what page the torque values are for the C2S's wheels and, so I can recognize the page when I get there, could someone tell me what torque values are on that page. I can find it.

Just a thought- Why couldn't they encode the manual in some format (PDF, or whatever proprietary format MOST would prefer) and let you scroll through it on the PCM? I'd rather have it in print format personally, keep it in the glove compartment. But for the search function, it would sure be nice. (Hmmm...I guess the index is easy to use from the manual.) Crud, maybe I shot down my own idea?!

No wait....they could have 'Doris' (the name my wife gave the British girl voice of our PCM) read aloud to you the instructions while you do things. So if you wanted to know how to program your seats, it's read aloud to you with step-by-step directions while you do it.

Alright, never mind. It's a bad idea.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

No, no, really. That's a great idea, having the user manual online in PCM. I often wish I had my manual in the car to look up something, only to realize I left it on my desk at home. So if I had it online, bingo, I can look up whatever it was I wanted to look up....like how to program radio stations (true story - the not knowing how to do this.)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good place for random thoughts:

1. Did you know on the multi-function steering wheel, that if you have a CD playing, and you hit mute, it not only mutes the CD but also pauses it at the same time, so after you un-mute, the song resumes from where it left off? That is AWESOME.

2. There must be a way to hack into the 6 disk CD changer and install a wire to play the ipod. At some point there is an analog to digital interface for the MOST circuit. That's where you interface. Then, you can mount the ipod in the trunk, with a wireless remote control, and you are set. Someone work on this and post the circuit tonight.

3. If you subtract 911 from 997 you get 86. Todd Heap is number 86 and he plays for the Ravens. You can't make this stuff up.

That is all I can muster for the day.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
1. Did you know on the multi-function steering wheel, that if you have a CD playing, and you hit mute, it not only mutes the CD but also pauses it at the same time, so after you un-mute, the song resumes from where it left off? That is AWESOME.
The multifunction steering wheel is something I wish I'd ordered (along with the power seats!). Everytime I get in my girlfriend's $30k Audi A4, with power seats and a "multifunction" steering wheel, I get jealous.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Just a thought- Why couldn't they encode the manual in some format (PDF, or whatever proprietary format MOST would prefer) and let you scroll through it on the PCM? I'd rather have it in print format personally, keep it in the glove compartment. But for the search function, it would sure be nice. (Hmmm...I guess the index is easy to use from the manual.) Crud, maybe I shot down my own idea?!

No wait....they could have 'Doris' (the name my wife gave the British girl voice of our PCM) read aloud to you the instructions while you do things. So if you wanted to know how to program your seats, it's read aloud to you with step-by-step directions while you do it.

Alright, never mind. It's a bad idea.
The PCM can speak?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
The PCM can speak?
Its part of the NAV option. And from the sound and tone of her voice, she does NOT seem as if she looks like your avitar.

Quick Reply: Spin the Topic - Non Sequiturs on the 997