Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indoor Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes of course, and I should have concluded with this final thought but I was exhausted last night and forgot to do so, but regardless of the type of cover you use, you don't use a cover when the car is the least bit dirty. I only cover my car when it's clean. It's been over 4 days since I've covered her because she needs a bath, and now that I have the day off I might get around to doing so.

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Yes, there is a hyphen in ****-retentive.

Now here's someone who is higher up on the scale than me (oops, I meant "than I am"). (I told you already I'm near the bottom of the scale.)

Yes, his technique is excellent. Just reverse the steps for removal, making sure never to drag the cover over your car during the removal. Always fold and roll. I start removal at the rear and fold and roll toward the front.

By the way, Peter, that was no hypothesis. Those are actually proven physical facts.

Last edited by OCBen; 11-22-2005 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added last comment.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:18 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

OCBen, I thought you would use something like this:

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/catalog/228495_L.jpg
Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only buy car covers that can be washed in my washing machine, on car wash day, I start out by throwing in the cover in the washing machine and by the time I'm finished cleaning my car, the cover is ready to be put on.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by texas911
I only buy car covers that can be washed in my washing machine, on car wash day, I start out by throwing in the cover in the washing machine and by the time I'm finished cleaning my car, the cover is ready to be put on.
Those aren't cotton blend covers, are they?

I used to wash my cotton blend car cover in the past but discontinued doing so when it left dust and fiber particles all over the car. Apparently the heat of the dryer broke down the fibers and resulted in dust fiber particles. This happens after a while anyway, even if you don't wash it and just use a cotton blend cover outdoors in direct sun (my main reason for covering my daily driver). And after about 3 yrs (the useful life of this type of cover) the fibers break down and leave particles behind.

Originally Posted by THPorsche
OCBen, I thought you would use something like this:

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/catalog/228495_L.jpg
That's one of my fantasy inventions I'm currently working on - the invisible, moving force field that protects against all harmful environmental elements: bird bombs, tree sap, insect gunk, stones, rain, acid rain, dirt, dust - you name it! ... oh, and it'll also keep out the bad guys too!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
By the way, Peter, that was no hypothesis. Those are actually proven physical facts.
Ben, I say hypothesis, you say proven physical facts.............. I expect we will only agree to politely disagree..... okokok, I'll STFU

Parking my car for 6 months makes me very disputatious, and that my friend..... is a proven physical fact!!! we agree??

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

LOL .. Well I clearly see that another proven fact is that you're no scientist or engineer and discussions of indisputable facts of physics are rather pointless with someone like yourself, especially when you're in a rather disputatious mood....

That cabin fever must be getting to you! ... Only 5 months to go. Hang in there...you can do it!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

okokok, you win!!
..... but only because you say so!!!

Note to self ;
{Ben is the source of all that is indisputable, and any opinion to the contrary is pointless in his regard}

Ben, sincerely, a good Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Oh c'mon Peter, you're making it seem like I'm insisting this to be true just because I say so. Ask any physicist or mechanical engineer about pressure and surface tension, and be done with it. That way you won't have to take my word for it, which I'd rather you not, actually.

Thanks for the heartfelt well wishes. May you and your family have a good Thanksgiving as well.

Are you following any special winter storage techniques? Is your car on blocks, did you drain the oil? I'm sure you have a trickle charger for the battery, right? There's a couple good threads here on the subject of winter storage. I'm sure you've gone through some of them, right?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=texas911]

MMMMMM....Porsche in Spandex......
Its not the same as THPorsche's Avatar Girlfriend in spandex, but not bad

Last edited by Deven; 11-23-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Are you following any special winter storage techniques? Is your car on blocks, did you drain the oil? I'm sure you have a trickle charger for the battery, right?
Tires inflated to 50 psi, fresh oil and filter, trickle charger and of course...... a "quality car cover"
Ignore it for 6 months, and then renew our affair in April.
Same method I've used successfully in this climate for many years on previous Pcars.
I trust you get to enjoy driving your car...
after 5 months ownership, I hope you would at least have it broken in...., right?

Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I trust you get to enjoy driving your car...
after 5 months ownership, I hope you would at least have it broken in...., right?
Gee, you're right, it's been 5 months now, hasn't it? Wow, how the time just flew! Ours came in within the same week, right? Don't remember if they were shipmates on the same vessel or not. Yep, 5 months and I still haven't officially "broken" her in with only 1500 miles on the clock, though for all practical purposes I consider the car broken in.

During the storage, do you at least start the engine every now and then?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:18 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Gee, you're right, it's been 5 months now, hasn't it? Wow, how the time just flew! Ours came in within the same week, right? Don't remember if they were shipmates on the same vessel or not. Yep, 5 months and I still haven't officially "broken" her in with only 1500 miles on the clock, though for all practical purposes I consider the car broken in.

During the storage, do you at least start the engine every now and then?
Yep, both arrived a continent apart, but about the same time. Perhaps you received your's a few days earlier, mine came home the last week of June and it arrived on the Glorious Ace into Halifax NS.

At -30f + occasional starting is probably the worst thing anyone could do!! Just ignore it for 6 months. I forgot to mention the full fuel tank and fuel stabilizer I also add before the long sleep.

I subscribe to this somewhat dated PCA published winter storage guideline:
http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

Dammit Ben, with over 1120 posts since Feb 05...... there is no wondering where most of your spare time is spent.....between and waxing ...you need to get out and drive that sweet car more often.... as, it was meant to be driven

Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Dammit Ben, with over 1120 posts since Feb 05...... there is no wondering where most of your spare time is spent.....between and waxing ...you need to get out and drive that sweet car more often.... as, it was meant to be driven
Yeah I know. I once kidded here that I probably log more posts here than miles on the car! ... Now it looks like it might be coming true after all! ... I'm forced to go drive it every now and then just so I don't lap it with this here keyboard!

Actually I'm waiting (impatiently at the moment) for availability of the clear film at the installer. I still haven't had it replaced on the new bumper cover and I'm staying off the freeways to avoid stone chips, so I drive mainly on surface streets on the weekends only, since I use my daily driver during the week. (So far so good, no chips yet as of yesterday when I washed her.) Looks like I might be able to get it done this Saturday - keeping fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Indoor Car Cover