Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
OCBen suggested this cover and I bought the same:

http://www.carcoversdirect.com/custo...al_name=Dustop

It is very soft and durable. I really like it and highly recommend the same.
Yep, for indoor use only, this dust cover is one of the very best.

What I like about it is that it does not fit tight and snug like those pictured here. If there is the slightest amount of dirt on your car those tight covers have the potential to drag that dirt film across your paint whenever you put it on and take it off. The Dustop cover, while custom fitted, fits loosely like a show car dust cover should. It's quite thick too, being multi-layered. And it will keep paw prints off quite nicely.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yep, for indoor use only, this dust cover is one of the very best.

What I like about it is that it does not fit tight and snug like those pictured here. If there is the slightest amount of dirt on your car those tight covers have the potential to drag that dirt film across your paint whenever you put it on and take it off. The Dustop cover, while custom fitted, fits loosely like a show car dust cover should. It's quite thick too, being multi-layered. And it will keep paw prints off quite nicely.
I have had this type in the past and they are just fine. They can even put $$ in your pocket over the Pcar cover .
I just wanted something different and perhaps better fitting this time.

Any cover, whether it is loose fitting or tight has an equal potential to drag dirt over the paint surface when installing or removing.... and actually a loose cover would have more potential for damaging movement after it's installed.
It would be operator error and not cover induced paint damage in all but extreme examples, but when there's human intervention anything is possible!!....

The paint side of the Tequipment cover is like a microfibre fleece. There was no lint on my cab top after a couple test R&R's.
It's non static, fits properly and it only sits on the car over winter, so I expect it will be just fine.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Any cover, whether it is loose fitting or tight has an equal potential to drag dirt over the paint surface when installing or removin.
Not equal potential when you consider that scratches from surface dirt are the result of directly applied pressure. The greater the pressure the greater the scratches. A tight fitting cover has greater surface tension resulting in greater applied surface pressure on the paint.
... and actually a loose cover would have more potential for damaging movement after it's installed.
Nope. Inside a closed garage there is nothing inside that will cause a cover to shift or move. And even if there were, the looser fitting cover has the advantage. Again, the causal relationship between pressure and scratches.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Dan_997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered the Dustop. Thanks again for all the input. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're gonna love it. Great choice.

By the way, I need a storage bag for my Dustop. Any ideas anyone? Dare I say it? A car-cover-cover! But right now when its not on the ride, its in the flimsy plastic bag it arrived in!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

You mean you didn't save the box??? ... That's where I put mine in when I take it off. But I bet your wife made you throw the box out, right? "What are you saving that box for?" is a constant refrain at my house. But if the empty box is within the jurisdiction of the garage, it gets full protection under the laws of Ben's Domain, and is not subject to interrogation or other forms of harassment, or, heaven forbid, to the infliction of cruel and unusual punishment. Other boxes found elsewhere throughout the house, sadly, do not receive the same kind of protection.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

Auto anything sells storage bag for the cover.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Dan_997
Rennlist Member

My wife found this one while shopping for horse blanket storage.

http://shop.statelinetack.com/produc...4302029099.htm
Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Not equal potential when you consider that scratches from surface dirt are the result of directly applied pressure. The greater the pressure the greater the scratches. A tight fitting cover has greater surface tension resulting in greater applied surface pressure on the paint.
Nope. Inside a closed garage there is nothing inside that will cause a cover to shift or move. And even if there were, the looser fitting cover has the advantage. Again, the causal relationship between pressure and scratches.
So.......
because light weight cover "A" fits snuggly, it's surface tension equates to direct linear pressure on the paint surface. Interesting...
And you further assume..... loose fitting heavy cover "B" has no pressure points or ability to rub the paint the wrong way like ...... light weight cover "A" even on application or removal..... huh....
so weight and pressure don't correlate inside your closed garage.
Spoken with enough conviction, most things can appear to become true

just funnin' with ya
Old 11-22-2005, 03:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

I know you’re not trying to be confrontational, so I’m really not offended by your questions. Don’t worry, I’m not taking it the wrong way. It appears you truly don’t know the mechanics behind this and are probably interested in understanding more. And I don’t mind going out of my way here to try to clear it up for you, if you really have an interest in understanding.

Surface tension can best be understood as a stretched condition of a surface layer; i.e., when a surface is stretched, tension is created in the molecular bonds (if it’s a solid homogeneous material) or in the interstitial bonds (if it’s a woven fabric). A balloon is an example of an object having a solid homogenous material layer that behaves as a surface. When you fill a balloon it expands, stretching the surface and creating tension within the surface layer. But a balloon can only be filled, as you know, if you increase the internal pressure relative to the external pressure. And when you do so, it expands, stretching the surface. The more pressure you supply the greater the expansion, and the greater the surface tension. So here you have the direct correlation between pressure and surface tension.

If that wasn’t clear enough, here’s another example that should remove all doubt. If you tighten your belt around your waist, you create tension in the belt – this should be obvious by now. And when you tighten your belt you are applying pressure on the surface of your waistline directly underneath the belt. And by Newton’s Third Law, your waist is applying an equal amount of pressure on the belt (causing tension in the belt) as the tension in the belt is causing pressure around your waist, which you can clearly feel. Now widen this belt and let it become your car cover. When you stretch your tight fitting car cover over your car, the tension in the cover applies pressure on that difficult to notice film of dirt (especially in the corners), which gets rubbed against your paint surface each time you slip the cover on and off.

Oh, in your example, cover "B" is not necessarily heavier than cover "A", just because it is thicker. Thicker doesn’t make it heavier. A piece of foam, though it may be thicker than a piece of wood, is not necessarily heavier. The layers in the Dustop are like foam layers, they're very airy and light and fluffy.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

I know you’re not trying to be confrontational, so I’m really not offended by your questions. Don’t worry, I’m not taking it the wrong way. It appears you truly don’t know the mechanics behind this and are probably interested in understanding more. And I don’t mind going out of my way here to try to clear it up for you, if you really have an interest in understanding.

Surface tension can best be understood as a stretched condition of a surface layer; i.e., when a surface is stretched, tension is created in the molecular bonds (if it’s a solid homogeneous material) or in the interstitial bonds (if it’s a woven fabric). A balloon is an example of an object having a solid homogenous material layer that behaves as a surface. When you fill a balloon it expands, stretching the surface and creating tension within the surface layer. But a balloon can only be filled, as you know, if you increase the internal pressure relative to the external pressure. And when you do so, it expands, stretching the surface. The more pressure you supply the greater the expansion, and the greater the surface tension. So here you have the direct correlation between pressure and surface tension.

If that wasn’t clear enough, here’s another example that should remove all doubt. If you tighten your belt around your waist, you create tension in the belt – this should be obvious by now. And when you tighten your belt you are applying pressure on the surface of your waistline directly underneath the belt. And by Newton’s Third Law, your waist is applying an equal amount of pressure on the belt (causing tension in the belt) as the tension in the belt is causing pressure around your waist, which you can clearly feel. Now widen this belt and let it become your car cover. When you stretch your tight fitting car cover over your car, the tension in the cover applies pressure on that difficult to notice film of dirt (especially in the corners), which gets rubbed against your paint surface each time you slip the cover on and off.

Oh, in your example, cover "B" is not necessarily heavier than cover "A", just because it is thicker. Thicker doesn’t make it heavier. A piece of foam, though it may be thicker than a piece of wood, is not necessarily heavier. The layers in the Dustop are like foam layers, they're very airy and light and fluffy.
Ben, I agree with your dumbed down hypothesis, to a point. Applying and removing any cover will, in all except perhaps your case, be the single greatest causal factor.

I formally &

Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys DO wash your car prior to covering up, right? I mean, when I pull off the sheets, I want her clean, waxed and ready.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll add some comments from the ****-retentive side...(although the physics was explained nicely already). Yes, I always make sure the car is clean before putting the cover over. Often I can use the California dust buster to accomplish this. Also when you install the cover I start with the folded cover on the roof and unfold it in a sequence moving around the car...dropping the sides, then placing over mirrors and finishing with the front and rear bumpers. Yes, there is a hyphen in ****-retentive.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

the key to a car cover is making sure that all dust is off the car, ie the car has been washed before...otherwise its a scratch waiting to happen....my garage is clean, so even with cars that i had a cover for, including a ferrari 355spider and a 360 spider, i only used the cover if the car was being shut down for a several weeks in the winter......this caused no premature wear on the paint or for the car and i never had a scratch on the cars.....
Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I'll add some comments from the ****-retentive side...(although the physics was explained nicely already). Yes, I always make sure the car is clean before putting the cover over. Often I can use the California dust buster to accomplish this. Also when you install the cover I start with the folded cover on the roof and unfold it in a sequence moving around the car...dropping the sides, then placing over mirrors and finishing with the front and rear bumpers. Yes, there is a hyphen in ****-retentive.
i quess **** and retentive go hand in hand!!!...go buffalo!!!

Quick Reply: Indoor Car Cover