Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Red Dials Question

Hello Folks,

What do you think of Red Dials?

I am this --->| |<--- [close] to ordering my new 997s with x51.

I have settled on getting black on black and wanted to do something to make my car just a little different.

I was thinking red dials might be neat to get. [I am open to other ideas such as red belts instead if you have any other suggestions for me.]

I am concerned that the day glow orange needle will get lost on the red background. Other than that I think it might be a neat feature that makes my black 911 just a little different from the rest.

So, has anyone seen these dials in real life? rennteam.com has some pix of it, but I am curious about anyone who has seen them in real life.

Do any of you think it would be annoying at track events? [Hard to read during the daylight?]

I plan to track this car all the time but leave it mostly stock.

At night, I realize it wont make any difference at all.

Thanks much in advance for your thoughts.

Greg

ps.
Here is my 911 config [going to order in the next 48 hours and Im so totally nervous/excited]
[Comments on the config are welcome of course]

Black
Black interior
Bose High End Sound Package
Carrera Power Kit X51
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Sport shifter
TPMS
19" Carrera Classic wheel
Adaptive Sports Seats
Sport Steering Wheel in Smooth Leather

Instrument dials in Guards Red

MSRP
$106,760

[I have a potential discount of $3250 right now]

pps. I put my cc into the rennlist.com site and will be a full sponsor in 24 hours.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 AM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need contrast between dial and needle. Orange or red will not work. Red on yellow does work well (see Ferrari), as well as red on white.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't do red dials. Minimal contrast between red & the needles. For a splash of color how about Terracotta/Black interior option? Recent posts show that combo and it looks good.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
I wouldn't do red dials. Minimal contrast between red & the needles. For a splash of color how about Terracotta/Black interior option? Recent posts show that combo and it looks good.
I agree that is a cool interior and one which would set your car apart.

Personally, I like the black gauges.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget Dimming Mirrors.
They are great
As are Heated Seats

Truthfully, red dials are just bling and have no function as are alot of availabe options.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

I say if it makes you happy, do it. We spend a ton of money on these cars and the only deciding factor should be if it makes you feel good...although Rennlist collective expertise is very worthwhile,... and cheap!
I do agree that the contrast between orange and red might be questionable but I've never seen it in 'real life.' Just pics. As I recall the Gemballa site has pics of their red dials for 911s - might be worth a peak there.
I have heard that the painted dials can bubble up over time,...this kept me from ordering them - but who knows for sure. Do the Red belts if you've got a black interior...I'm doing Yellow on black.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, you might grow tired of them after the novelty wears off, and then you're stuck with something you wish you hadn't ordered. And if you end up wanting to sell the car you might have to swap out those dials for standard ones.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the needles really orange on a red dial? I'm sure Porsche saw the same thing. Anyone with the red dials?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder...

Worth $860

NO!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Big Red
Advanced

I got my new 997S about a month ago and got the red belts with the black interior and the stainless steel door entry pieces. I have the standard dials and really have a hard time seeing the dials when on a cloudy day or when I am wearing my sun glasses. I don't think the dials have enough light to see them well. When dark I have the dash lights turned all the way up and can see them fine. I would be reluctant to get the red dials because they might b even more difficult to see. I like the red belts. They added a nice touch.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big Red
I got my new 997S about a month ago and got the red belts with the black interior and the stainless steel door entry pieces. I have the standard dials and really have a hard time seeing the dials when on a cloudy day or when I am wearing my sun glasses. I don't think the dials have enough light to see them well. When dark I have the dash lights turned all the way up and can see them fine. I would be reluctant to get the red dials because they might b even more difficult to see. I like the red belts. They added a nice touch.

Thank you all for the feed back.

Red Belts might be a better way to go since the ability to read the gauges might be REALLY annoying at a DE/track day. [At least 2 of you suggested that.]

Red belts would be something different at least from all the other black/black cars.

I dont really want yellow gauges since I dont know if it would go well with the the overall color scheme of the car. [maybe if i had yellow brake calipers - that would make sense]

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
MMD
Banned

Just get them if you like them. Seeing them? The best, most immediately visible, instruments have black faces and white needles (check out plane cockpits).

You're looking at the digital speedometer most and it's unaffected by red dials. The other guages are not extremely serious to review every sixteen seconds, so what if they're not perfectly easy to see?

The only problem might be the tach, but if it really IS a problem have that needle painted black (or DIY with a model brush and testors paint). Gee, paint them all black while you're at it.

Being different? I don't think so. It's like red herring (almost literally) you see red dials and you think "oh, nice red dials, what's for lunch?"

Just get them if you like them.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted to order the yellow belt for my cab but then my wife mentioned something about color crashing with the shirt I am going to wear…anyway, I guess if you do order the red belt just don't wear anything green.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
…anyway, I guess if you do order the red belt just don't wear anything green.
Except during the Christmas season.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
boolala
Race Car

The red dials on the pics above llok good. Certainly no crazier than g

Quick Reply: Red Dials Question