Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming to the dark side....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005 | 09:15 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Default Coming to the dark side....

I had an epiphany and have decided to sell/trade my trusty 996 for a 997S.
I'm thinking Atlas Gray/ Nat Gray full leather, bose, sport chrono, possibly PCCBs... Anybody have any pics of this combo. I plan to order very soon. Any other options I should consider?
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:22 PM
Lotus350
Advanced

Sorry, but the "dark side" is a Lambo! Getting the 997S is still the same side.

Regardless...great choice! Enjoy.
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:47 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

You have seen the light, my brother.

The 997 is a 911 too, only more so. I traded a 996 for mine. Now I know the difference between like and love.

Don't forget TPMS. No spare necessitates this, IMHO.
Thicker steering wheel is nice.
Short shifter is nice.
Red caliper brakes absolutely ROCK so maybe you can save some money there and spend it on the X51.
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:53 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
You have seen the light, my brother.

The 997 is a 911 too, only more so. I traded a 996 for mine. Now I know the difference between like and love.

Don't forget TPMS. No spare necessitates this, IMHO.
Thicker steering wheel is nice.
Short shifter is nice.
Red caliper brakes absolutely ROCK so maybe you can save some money there and spend it on the X51.
i agree, get the x51 instead of the pccb, which will come into play racing on the track...........love the atlas grey, my current favorite, but subject to change!!!!!!!!!short shifter is nice, it can be retro fitted, and the pse sounds aggresive....but it comes with the x51.......
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:14 AM
Deven
Pro

Nice color combo. Mine is scheduled for Novemeber build, Atlas Grey/Natural Grey with black top (cab). Its a S, Nav, Bose, Sports chrono, Shifter, and a bunch of other friviolous items (heated seats, multifunction steering wheel, crests in seats, and wheel crests, illumiated door sils, seld dimming mirrors, power seats, TPMS, telephone module, and lastly I did add the Sports Exaust). I did not get the Ceramic brakes.

I sat in a natural grey leather, the color is amazing, almost black, but not quite. Not one person has said a bad thing about the PSE, and even though I thought it was questionable, there are numerous posts where people just rave about the sound and it being a 'must have' option. Hopefully I will have my answer in less than 2 months.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:17 AM
Speed
Pro

Multi-function steering wheel, very useful for tuning radio, operating CD, Nav and telphone when driving. Self-dimming mirror also very useful and probably the best bargain among the options. Adaptive sport seats much better than standard, although pricy. Finally, Sport Chrono or not to Sport Chrono; there's a lot of debate on the topic that you can find if you do a search. Some people really hate the clock ("wart") on the dash; others say it's really only useful on the track; some people think it will enhance resale. I got it and I'm glad I did. I do use it on the highway for the enhanced throttle response and I don't mind the stiffer ride that comes with it (although you can disable the PASM when in Sport mode). Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:50 AM
doc j
Advanced

sport shifter is worth considering. noticeably shorter than stock. let me know if you want to check mine out.
are you going to the postponed de next weekend? unfortunatley, i cannot.
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:21 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

First, you will not be disappointed - I too came out of a 996 (and prior p-cars) into the 997S and I love it!!!

Atlas is high on my list, and if I ordered a car I would get the natural gray full leather.

Ceramics - awesome brakes (came with my "launch" car), but not sure I would order them for the price. I'd much rather spend the money towards X51 if I had to choose.

I added PSE later, absolutely love it. (It comes with X51.) Get it!
I added short shifter later, great upgrade. Get it!
Self dimming mirrors - cheap and useful option.
Adaptive sport seats - very nice. If you are considering them, keep in mind that the option includes the electronic seat/memory functions, which are about $1,200? by themselves. So $2,500 for adaptive sport seats (if you have full leather) is not bad considering it includes the electronics.
Wish I had the thicker steering wheel but stock is OK.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I'd pass on the PCCB's, couldn't imagine a 5k repair bill one day for freakin' rotors. Congrats Doug, you made the right choice.
Old 10-27-2005 | 02:49 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Hmmm X51 instead of PCCB, I didn't think of that one, the power output is nice as well as the PSE. I definitely want the lumbar support option, so I guess that means the electric seats. I'm also warming up to the black/terracotta interior, I wonder how it might look with AG?
Old 10-27-2005 | 03:40 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Pass on the PCCB's, perhaps X51 if you don't mind springing for it.

Sport Chrono, PSE (porsche sport exhaust), and adaptive seats are a must. Nav, 6-disc, and Bose are nice. I wouldn't get the short shifter unless the stock shifter feels excessively long. Besides, it will be hell to deal with early AM and on cold days.
Old 10-27-2005 | 04:24 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

Atlas Grey.....great color, I have a Cayman S coming in it.....

Here is an Ebay link to an Atlas on Nat. Grey GT3 for ref....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-27-2005 | 04:36 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I wouldn't get the short shifter unless the stock shifter feels excessively long. Besides, it will be hell to deal with early AM and on cold days.
Never a problem for me. Very easy shifting. Must have option. Just ask AeroSmith.
Old 10-27-2005 | 05:40 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Never a problem for me. Very easy shifting. Must have option. Just ask AeroSmith.

Hehehehe, and your located where??? Sunny Cali baby! For those that live in less fortunate climates, the cold actually does affect shifting, at least before it gets warmed up properly.

To each their own of course. I think the short shiftter is a great option to have. I'm glad that Porsche offers an OEM option because I know several would be interested in the short shifter, and I would hate to see them deal with the flack from Porsche's warranty dept. in case anything should happen with their tranny.
Old 10-27-2005 | 07:01 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'll probably pass on the PSE, I really don't care that much about it.
The X51 is great but for that money I'll be close to a TT price point.
I thought I would skip the 6 disc and use an i Pod.
SSK sounds good, I like my OEM SSK in the 996 a lot.

Quick Reply: Coming to the dark side....