Sponsored by:

997 Crash Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
tocho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Crash Report

A few days ago, very early in the morning, on a NJ highway, was dark and raining, a black Toyota was accross the lane (apparently it had crashed with a truck a few secs earlier), in the middle of a turn, with no lights. I wasnt doing more than 50-60mph and got to brake but it was too close. All I can say is that Porsches are very (very) well designed. The front end "absorbed" most of the energy of the hit and was pretty much destroyed. Interestingly enough, the hood came up and protected the windshield from exploding (I think this is how it's supposed to work). Thank God, nobody was seriously injured. The insurance company is going for total destruction as the body of the car was twisted and is too expensive to repair. So I just ordered a new 997S, same color and specs as before. Cant live with another car. Is this the first 997 crash reported here?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take care. thinking about getting C4S? nj weather sucks this fall.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Glad you were okay. At least you'll be able to get another one. How much of a hit will you take in replacement value from the insurance co.?

There was another guy here who was rear-ended after someone was apparently mesmerized by his car and plowed right in! I don't think the insurance co. totaled his though.

P.S. You didn't happen to take any photos did you? Guess we'd all like to see how the front end collapses as it absorbs the impact.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
tocho
Track Day

Waiting to hear from the insurance company on the money. Will let you guys know. As per pics, I did not take any...watching it once was enough! I'll ask the mechanis at the body shop, they may be able to take som, but I think they took it apart already.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

the important thing is that you are alright!!!!!!!! you cant beat german cars for safety in an accident...........how much of a hit will the ins. make you take on your car for depreciation?? as we all know the S has really not started to depreciate, so they should buy new one........
Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Mike R.
Advanced

I'm sorry to hear what happened. Most bodyshops now take digital photos to document the work performed and to get reimbursed by the insurance carrier. They can probably send them to you by email. Just stay on top of the insurance carrier - they're never happy paying out big collision or property damage claims.
BTW- I just joined this list after putting down my deposit yesterday for an '06 Artic Silver 997S Coupe. It'll be a long 3 mos. before I get it, though.
Mike
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome Mike! The wait is worth it.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
steve775
Instructor

I was rear-ended (at an angle, not my fault) on July 16th. I am still waiting for my car. The back of my right rear wheel was rammed hard, the suspension snapped as it is supposed to, but one member on a suspension piece did not snap, thus causing some body damage, had some frame damage. I had and still have only 6K miles on it.

I should be getting it back very soon.

It sucked big-time with it being so new like that, but I have accepted it and
there is no reason it will not be just as good as new now, considering the excellent work that has been put into it.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Steve, yeah, you're the one I had in mind. Some guy was just staring at your car and plowed right into you, right? Wow, you're still waiting to get it back. Hope it's real soon and I hope it's just like new. Was there any damage to the engine?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
steve775
Instructor

He didn't touch my back bumber except for grazing the side of it. My oil pan
was bent somehow, that was replaced. My best guess is he was on the cell phone, and made a last second adjustment to swerve out of the way.

The suspension was supposed to snap more completely to absorb energy, this may be evidence that the 997 models have stiffer frames and/or suspension components.

He mentioned something about looking at my car, it doesn't really matter. Much of the time was spent waiting for parts. Forwarned, if you need major parts like a quarter panel, suspension part, etc... expect to wait many weeks for it.

The shop fixing it will have before and after photos pretty soon, I'll post here the url when it's there.

Quick Reply: 997 Crash Report