Sponsored by:

Doc fee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doc fee?

So my status just turned CMPPRD earlier this week, and I have to say that I'm quite excited. As such, I decided to speak with my salesman about the huge check I'd have to be bringing in when the car finally arrived. The salesman listed out the costs (cost of car, sales tax, etc.) and then also included a "$169 documentation fee." Is this legitimate, or are they trying to take me for a ride? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:05 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "doc" fee is actually a doctor fee for cardiopulmonary resusitation after you hand over that large check.

Yes it is legitimate and would actually cost much more if they had to transport you to the hospital.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the dealers in my area try to charge a doc fee. I think it's bogus in an area where the buyer is still responsible for getting their own tags from the BMV--maybe it makes sense in a state where the dealer handles that for you.
Anyway, I always refuse to pay, pointing out that I do far more paperwork in my business, without itemizing out a fee for that. They always whine and moan, but drop the fee in the end.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

By law they are allowed to charge up to "X" amount of dollars as a doc fee. Just negotiate an extra $150 off the purchase price if it bothers you that much. My dealer got my tags and waited in line at DMV for me so I gladly paid it.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, it does bother me, and I will see what I can do to negotiate this out. For whatever it's worth, I wouldn't mind if they described this as a fee for getting the tags and such from the DMV, but that's not how it was described. But we'll see -- I may forget this issue when the car is actually in front of me!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

If the dealer is charging a "doc fee" for going to the DMV and getting plates for your car, that should be a "cost of doing business" that is built into their profit, not an additional charge to the customer.

I mean, come on, with the profit margin built into the sale of a 997, asking for a "doc fee" is just beyond greed. It's insulting.

I would politely refuse to pay it.

It's like half the "fees" an escrow company charges in the sale of real estate. When you ask them what they are, it's for filling in your name and address on a pre-existing "boiler plate" document and hitting the PRINT key. Just say NO.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Dan_997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's simply another way for dealers to enhance margin although you would expect to see it more on a lower cost product. Perhaps they figure you won't make a big deal over another $50-$200 when you're spending north of $85k. My dealer wanted to charge $50.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It's the same fee charged at the Hyundai dealer. When you are paying $5K for a new car and the doc fee is the same as a Porsche then this argument makes sense. That doc fee is legal and chraged by everybody. If you don't like the nickel and dime feeling then negiotiate that $150 off the price of that $100K car.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:07 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a customary fee that ranges in price. if it really bothers you, talk to the salesperson. otherwise, it's legit. they do process title and that's a fee just like when you buy a house.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

My dealer charges $400 and will not negotiate on that fee. "Even the owners son has to pay it" Amazing.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

I think that all new car dealers in California must do the DMV transaction for the customer by law. What most dealers do is send one guy to the DMV, usually once a month, with all the dealership's transactions for that tiime period. He goes to a special window just for dealers and processes everybody's paperwork, gets the plates issued and he's done.
If someone is charging anything more than $50 for this mandatory "service," then they're picking your pocket. It really is a cost of doing business, just like advertising, rent, and insurance, and should be built into their profit, not added on to what you pay for the car.
Now I realize that in the "real world" that's not always the case...but it should be.

Quick Reply: Doc fee?