Old 10-17-2005 | 03:42 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are we learning yet?
Old 10-18-2005 | 02:39 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried that Mr Clean Autodry thing yet?
Old 10-18-2005 | 06:00 AM
jcf7
Pro

Thanks OC. I'll print out your post and give to my detail shop.
Old 10-18-2005 | 07:08 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
There are quite a few excellent sites that discuss the problem and offer solutions. It would be helpful to learn as much as you can before following any particular recommendation.

But generally speaking, if the swirl marks are everywhere and they’ve become really noticeable as they would on a black car, then the best solution is using a machine polisher. If you’re a novice, then I would recommend getting a dual-action polisher (or orbital polisher as they’re sometimes called) and use a good machine swirl mark remover polish. Meguiar’s and 3M make good products in this category. In the past I used to use Meguiar’s but in the last four years I’ve been using 3M professional series, which has quite a few products in the machine polish category, as well as my favorite, Imperial Hand Glaze (applied by hand as the name implies).

If you’ve been trained how to use, and are experienced in using a high speed rotary polisher (or circular polisher) that’s what I would recommend, and that’s what I would use if I were doing the job. But you can do severe damage if you don’t understand the mechanics of a rotary, and using your Porsche as a guinea pig would not be Phi Beta Kappa. Porter Cable is a popular brand among the orbital types. You just need to be patient for the results when using it. The rotary type is more efficient and does a much better job at fine micro scratch removal. I use the top of the line Makita 9227 – a sweet powerful machine – for my machine polishing.

As for hiding or masking the faintest of scratches, use Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. This sealer will fill in all those tiny scratches and provide a uniform coating that will dazzle you. A second or third coat (per instructions) will ensure complete sealing and coverage. See the recommended steps in Autopia.org.
Thanks OC. My scratches fall into the category of the faintest of scratches, so I'll give Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze a try.
Old 10-18-2005 | 10:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Well, I would first give a very fine polish such as 3M's IHG a shot to see if it can remove most of them, but that's a hand application type of polish that requires some elbow grease and a little patience. That's what I use on my 997 whenever I pick up the faintest of scratches. The Klasse HGSG will help fill in those you fail to notice and the result is a really high gloss look. But I think where this product is most useful is in providing a protective hard coat that will help minimize those annoying faint scratches in the first place. After a few protective coats you can then apply a carnauba on top to enhance the shine, if you like. But it really can be used by itself, and many do.
Old 10-18-2005 | 04:26 PM
fast1
Race Car

HGey OC, Where do you buy these products? My local auto supply stores don't carry any of them.
Old 10-19-2005 | 01:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

You can find many of these products online at autopia-carcare.com, carcaronline.com, autogeek.com if there’s no detailer supply pro shop near you. I buy my synthetic chamois at a local supply shop, along with a few other products such as interior dusting brushes that I like to feel and handle before purchasing. Shop around for the best prices, that’s what I do. Carcareonline has monthly specials that I often take advantage of.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:15 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

When I move up from a 996 to a 997, I want to buy a used one from a guy like you!
Old 10-25-2005 | 09:18 AM
Cogito
Racer

OCBen, Wal-Mart sells a synthetic chamois, The Absorber, for around $5. It's great, is machine washable, and doesn't mildew or degrade like a real chamois. Is this product like what you mentioned?
Old 10-25-2005 | 11:26 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
When I move up from a 996 to a 997, I want to buy a used one from a guy like you!
Thank you for that great compliment. I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell.

I know that the guy who bought my 01 Boxster S in April was so impressed with how brand new the car looked that he knew he had to have it before he even took it for a test drive. He was the first one to see it out of a number of interested individuals that had made appointments, and I sold it to him that very first day. Hated to see her go. Wished I could have sold it to someone fanatical like me that could have appreciated the effort I put in, and would try to continue that same level of car care. This guy didn't have a clue. He just loved how beautiful it looked.

By the way, this very post is my 911 th post so far. Thought I'd mark this sentimental milestone right here.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2005 | 01:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by dweiser
OCBen, Wal-Mart sells a synthetic chamois, The Absorber, for around $5. It's great, is machine washable, and doesn't mildew or degrade like a real chamois. Is this product like what you mentioned?
Hey Don, so you've tried this product, have you?

I’m not familiar with The Absorber but I am familiar with the P21S Super Absorbing Drying Towel that comes in a clear plastic case and is stored damp in the case.

I bought this highly touted P21S Drying Towel but was highly disappointed. Although it absorbed water it wouldn't glide over the surface for me but would grip and jerk along as I tried to wipe with it. I tried spreading it open and pulling along by an edge but it still gripped and made using it too much work for me. After a couple of times of using it I gave up on it and stored it away for good.

I hope for your sake that this product, The Absorber, doesn't behave that way. If it glides smoothly over the paint as it absorbs the water and does a good job of it, then it sounds like a good product.

The ones I use are only commercially available, as far as I know. These don't come in fancy packaging. They're just folded neatly on the shelf alongside the microfiber towels at the pro-detailer supply store near me, and they're tan in color.
Old 10-25-2005 | 06:23 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey Don, so you've tried this product, have you?

I’m not familiar with The Absorber but I am familiar with the P21S Super Absorbing Drying Towel that comes in a clear plastic case and is stored damp in the case.

I bought this highly touted P21S Drying Towel but was highly disappointed. Although it absorbed water it wouldn't glide over the surface for me but would grip and jerk along as I tried to wipe with it. I tried spreading it open and pulling along by an edge but it still gripped and made using it too much work for me. After a couple of times of using it I gave up on it and stored it away for good.

I hope for your sake that this product, The Absorber, doesn't behave that way. If it glides smoothly over the paint as it absorbs the water and does a good job of it, then it sounds like a good product.

The ones I use are only commercially available, as far as I know. These don't come in fancy packaging. They're just folded neatly on the shelf alongside the microfiber towels at the pro-detailer supply store near me, and they're tan in color.
I have the Absorber and it does the same (good and bad) things as the P21S. Now I only use it for my other cars.
Old 10-27-2005 | 10:51 AM
mdonline
Instructor

OC,

You must be more discriminating when you sell your 997. Make them take a quiz. If they haven't read your postings and are not willing to follow steps A-Z, tell them to take a hike. There are plenty of us out here who can appreciate the work that you put in and who are more than ready to subscribe to your detailing madness.

If you love your baby, you can't compromise Man. You can't let some uninformed nut bathe your ex baby in Dawn and dry her off with a bath towel.

I just took delivery of 997S a few weeks ago. I have been thinking about those kids that the dealers pay $4 bucks/hour to wash their cars. They wash the cars with a power washer and then another kid dries it with a towel that I wouldn't use to wipe my hands with. I saw this kid did a number on the GT. Man oh man, that hurts. No dealer wash for me.
Old 10-27-2005 | 11:47 AM
texas911
Race Car

When will Porsche get the ceramic paint that Mercedes uses? Its supposed to be ver hard and scratch resistant. Here we are in the 21st Century and we still have car paint that will scratch buy using the wrong cotton towel! How wrong is that?
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by mdonline
OC,

You must be more discriminating when you sell your 997. Make them take a quiz. If they haven't read your postings and are not willing to follow steps A-Z, tell them to take a hike. There are plenty of us out here who can appreciate the work that you put in and who are more than ready to subscribe to your detailing madness.

If you love your baby, you can't compromise Man. You can't let some uninformed nut bathe your ex baby in Dawn and dry her off with a bath towel.

I just took delivery of 997S a few weeks ago. I have been thinking about those kids that the dealers pay $4 bucks/hour to wash their cars. They wash the cars with a power washer and then another kid dries it with a towel that I wouldn't use to wipe my hands with. I saw this kid did a number on the GT. Man oh man, that hurts. No dealer wash for me.
LOL ... That's funny, making them pass a quiz before they would be considered worthy of buying it. Ah, if only it weren't a business transaction decision. ... Bottom line, whoever comes in with the highest offer, gets the car. And it really doesn't matter if they intend to use it to test the crash worthiness of the car, or otherwise trash it from my perspective. That's what I had to keep telling myself as I got ready to sell my Boxster. And I accepted that easily in my head. But in my heart, I knew it would be tough to turn it over to someone less careful with it, as was the case. But he did offer me my asking price.

I did email him the links to the various detailing sites that I frequented, but he didn't seem to be interested, and was someone who probably would be just as happy to take it to a car wash. ... I recall how I felt when I saw my Boxster for the first time since I had sold it to him. It was about two weeks later and he was meeting me to turn over the plates on the car. I couldn’t believe my eyes. The car was all dusty, it obviously hadn’t been washed since. There were fingerprint smudges all over the top of the door. Cat prints all over the back. I couldn’t look at it. I had to force myself to believe that this was not my car....which it wasn’t. It took a couple of days for me to break that news to my wife. She had cried the day he drove away with it, recalling the good memories we had with it and knowing how hard I had worked to get in show car condition for the sale, only to have this guy, as she correctly perceived, buy it who would not really appreciate what he had just bought.

Yeah, keep your work of art away from those who don’t know how to take care of it, like those minimum wage car wash kids at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Preventing Fine Micro Scratches and Keeping Your New Car Looking New