THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

UCANTR4 on a Ferrari
Old 09-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Red Blur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on a TT, during the internet boom.

THX AOL

I always loved that one..
Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Live personalized plates are CTHULHU (bonus points it you know who that is), GO PODS (waiting for a car) and my old Trans Am plate EAT Z28. I never had to explain EAT Z28, and pissing off Camaro owners was always fun. The other two usually caused more confusion.

When I get around to a 997 GT3 or Turbo, I am thinking of using PZKW IVB. That would also work on a Ruf Cayman.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg,
You gotta help me with the CTHULHU & PZKW IVB. What's the meaning?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

LiveNupe,

Beware, for you have called forth the nerd within . . .

CTHULHU is from Howard Phillips Lovecraft’s “The Call of Cthulhu,” written in 1926. It is IMHO the greatest piece of work from the pulp horror genre (a subset of the pulp fiction genre if you will). Cthulhu is represented as a monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind, and is of a somewhat bloated corpulence. Viewing, attempting to conjure, or having Cthulhu or his ilk invade your dreams was always followed by insanity in the novels.

The series of stories from H.P. Lovecraft on the Cthulhu Mythos (as it is called now) gave rise to a subset of horror writing along with a couple of horror based role playing games. I have many of the books and have played the Chaosium’s RPG version -- Call of Cthulhu -- off and on for years.

PZKW VIB is the Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II Ausf. B, oder Königtiger (King Tiger). Ferdinand Porsche designed at least two experimental versions of the King Tiger which were not accepted for production, however a number of turrets build by Porsche were used on production vehicles, which became know as Porsche Tigers. The turrets were surprisingly elegant (for a tank) in design, but had a shortcoming in the slope of their mantlet. (It could deflect some incoming shells downward into the vehicle roof.) Ferdinand Porsche also designed several versions of the first Tiger tank (Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger), which were surprisingly advanced for their day in their suspension and drive technology, but proved too expensive and temperamental to see production as a heavy battle tank. Many of the chassis were used as the basis for tank destroyers after another Tiger candidate was chosen.

It’s pretty obvious from this that I read way TOO much.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats

King Tiger with Porsche turret
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, rotthaus, that is so esoteric that you'd be the only one in that small circle of insiders to know the meaning of your coded vanity plates. ... Well, you and me and everyone else who just read your post, that is. It's so arcane I won't remember it in an hour, if you were to quiz me on it .... even with the cheat sheet in front of me!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Any vanity plate that must be "explained," winds up being a pain in the *** in the long run. And if the story is a looong one, well...

The best plates are the ones everybody "gets" right away. Easy on the brain, light on the pretense.

My 1988 911 Carrera wears "911C88" and my 1958 Speedster Carrera GT sports "58GT." Amazingly, the first question many people ask about the Speedster is, "Hey, what year is it?" Go figure.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Here's what my Boxster had:

I wanted to go for WET BOX to emphasis the wet look I was able to achieve. But I didn't think I could get it past the DMV censor police.
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

There IS a reason the boss refers to me as the font of useless knowledge.

Leader, you are right on the money with the pain in the *** factor. The surprising thing has been how many people I have run into who have read Lovecraft and get the plate. (One of the local PCA guys and his son got it right off.) Must be an upper Midwest thing. Or something in the water. BTW, sweet Speedster.

OCBen, please get out your number 2 pencil and some scratch paper . . .

Greg
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by rotthaus
OCBen, please get out your number 2 pencil and some scratch paper . . .
OH NOOOOO!!! ...

You have no idea how that brings back bad memories of hearing those same dreaded words that used to send chills down my spine as I was caught unprepared again!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:15 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
You have no idea how that brings back bad memories of hearing those same dreaded words that used to send chills down my spine as I was caught unprepared again!
I've been there more than a few times myself. Prodigious BS and some fancy penwork saved my rear more than once. Of course if I had studied rather than spending the night before reading something esoteric it would have helped a lot.

Greg

Quick Reply: OT: Vanity Plates