Sponsored by:

Body/Suspension Creaks, Groans and Squeeks + Sun roofs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body/Suspension Creaks, Groans and Squeeks + Sun roofs

I bought a new 997S about 6 months ago. I have about 2500 miles on it and first it went through the "trunk/hood popping open" routine...but it stopped.

Now, I notice that as I idle out of my 200 foot long driveway, there are what sounds like body creaks and groans....and it sounds as if the suspension is squeaking. After driving a few miles it stops doing it.... but it does often come back as I drive into a driveway or ramp into a parking lot.

Does anyone else have this noise? What the heck is it?

Secondly.... how many of you use your sunroof without earplugs? The buffeting of the wind with it open is deafening at 25+ mph. It's obvious there isn't a large enough air dam that pops up.... but how do you fix that? I'd like to be able to drive with the sun roof open when the weater cools off.

Suggestions/comments?

Buzz
On the far right coast of FL.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:03 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Creaks and groans are from the heat...I notice my car does it more when its hot than cold outside.

Crack the passenger window and buffeting goes away!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They seem to creak when you're twisting the chassis a bit i.e. uneven surface as your angling up driveway. No squeeking problems here.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buffeting..

Originally Posted by rss997
Creaks and groans are from the heat...I notice my car does it more when its hot than cold outside.

Crack the passenger window and buffeting goes away!
I have had the same sunroof problem, especially at about 30MPH, even with both windows wide open.
It really gets annoying after a while. Anyone have any other suggestions about how to get rid of it, since the window trick hasn't worked for me?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
BRUCE
Instructor

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
I have had the same sunroof problem, especially at about 30MPH, even with both windows wide open.
It really gets annoying after a while. Anyone have any other suggestions about how to get rid of it, since the window trick hasn't worked for me?
I have found if I open my roof only 3/4 of the way, it limits the buffeting a lot.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Your sunroof should only open on auto to 3/4 way open...if you push open button again it will go all the way open.

In either position it buffets unless you crack the window.....fool with the opening setting to see where yours is perfect.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SrfCity
They seem to creak when you're twisting the chassis a bit i.e. uneven surface as your angling up driveway. No squeeking problems here.
i get that groan going over driveways slowly ever since i put in the bk harness bars and pss9's.

the sollution: speed up
Old 09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Porky
Instructor

No creeks in my May 997 BUT I know what you mean about the sunroof. I played around with mine forever now its fine. I basically FULLY open it and open the passenger window just a wee bit and no annoying sounds!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Heat could definitely be a factor since it's hovered above 95 degrees here forever. I like the suggestion to drive faster in my driveway!

I'll play with the sun roof some more. I did notice that the buffeting stopped when my wife let her window down. Simple solutions to maddening problems!

Buzz
Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sunroof on 911's is a piece of crap. My Toyota has a MUCH better sunroof. It's wind deflector actually changes position depending on speed to solve this exact problem. It let's nice fresh air and sunlight in without much wind noise and no buffeting. Porsche sunroofs, including those in 997's, are also well known for developing rattles and squeaks - a problem I have never been aware of in any other car. In NA, one used to be able to delete the sunroof on a 996. When that becomes available on a 997, I'll be getting one. The Cayman, thankfully, doesn't even have a sunroof.
-B
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bullet
The sunroof on 911's is a piece of crap. My Toyota has a MUCH better sunroof. It's wind deflector actually changes position depending on speed to solve this exact problem. It let's nice fresh air and sunlight in without much wind noise and no buffeting. Porsche sunroofs, including those in 997's, are also well known for developing rattles and squeaks - a problem I have never been aware of in any other car. In NA, one used to be able to delete the sunroof on a 996. When that becomes available on a 997, I'll be getting one. The Cayman, thankfully, doesn't even have a sunroof.
-B
I do seldom use mine. You'll never see a sunroof in a real competition Porsche. That hole in the roof weakens the body structure. Mind doesn't squeak or rattle.....yet.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
mxa4250
Intermediate

Default Suspension Squeak/Creak

About a month ago I installed H&R springs. now I hear a squeak every time I make a sharp left turn to drive down a ramp to my garage.
is this normal? can it be fixed?
thanks

Originally Posted by SrfCity

Quick Reply: Body/Suspension Creaks, Groans and Squeeks + Sun roofs