Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couldn't change the wheels on my order because the X51 is sold out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 12:25 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Default Couldn't change the wheels on my order because the X51 is sold out!

Well, on Friday I tried to change my wheel option from the Carerra Classics to the Carrera Sports.

I just talked to my salesman and he says that the X51 is sold out for the time being and that changing any options now will substantially delay my order. My order status just shifted to MFGCNF.

Oh well, wheels can always be changed but it's impossible to retrofit the X51.

Any idea what exactly MFGCNF says about the amount of time until my car is built?
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

MFGCNF = Assigned a Production Number
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:53 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Changing the wheels will drastically chage your delivery date? Sounds like a load of sh*t if you ask me. How hard is it to swap out wheels?
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:51 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
How hard is it to swap out wheels?
Well, that's the question I asked my dealer. He's calling PCNA to see if he can make the change without delaying my order. I guess the issue is how the computer order system allocates build slots. Changing an option with another option being sold out puts you to the back of the line I guess.
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:56 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I know this is easy to say now that I endured my 4 month wait.... but..... if it is that important to you to change the wheels, do it and if there is a delay, let there be a delay. Get what you want and be happy. I personally do not think you will get delayed unless the wheels are not in stock. You dont have a build date yet - just a production number. If you had a build date, I think changes at that point (if even allowed) would cause a delay - but that is speculation on my part. I would order what you want - bottom line.
Old 08-31-2005 | 02:40 PM
mdex
Racer

If they are having to make a change to the order from the factory it could take your car out of the build order and push the delivery back. What I don't understand is why the dealer is looking to make a change to your order and doesn't just do the swap themselves once the car is in?
Old 08-31-2005 | 02:58 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Aerosmith:

From reading that post over at rennteam sounds like the change can be made just via fax to pcna as opposed to on the computer at the dealer.

Good luck.

You fellow X51 mfgconf friend,

Toomey
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:36 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Porsche should charge at least 5k for the change order.........what a joke!
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:45 PM
woodhouseporsche
Track Day

Even as a dealer this becomes a little frustrating at times. I will try to explain simply:

Porsche AG agrees to produce X number of a model (997) in a production month. Y number of those cars can have the X51 option, and Z number of cars will not have the X51 option. Therefore if the option sells out, we as dealers cannot make any changes to the already submitted order w/out deleting the X51 option for that allocation slot. Therefore, the car will be produced but w/out the option that has "sold out." So in order to get the X51 and the option change there is indeed a delay...to another production month.

The same is true for Tiptronic transmissions.

When it really gets interesting is when they have not "sold out" of the option and then the option is "forced" onto the car. That is to say, if no one buys/orders Tiptronics for November production 997 Coupe's the later placed orders are often required to have Tips.
Old 08-31-2005 | 07:52 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Interesting glimpse into Porsche-thought. Thanks. And I can see where this could frustrate dealers as well as customers.

I think my dealer did well not to delay my order. Wheels can always be changed easily once the car is here but an October build X51 slot is hard to come by at this point. I want my car! Add to that the fact that I actually really do like the Carrera Classics a lot and I'm fine with this. In fact they were my first choice before I learned of the new Carrera Sport wheels. I guess 295s in the rear might be a teency bit better in the rain than those big old 305s. Yeah, I probably wouldn't like those big things at all. But seriosly, either wheel, this is going to be one fun GT.

I just find it odd that changing something as simple as wheels would cause one to loose a sold out option slot. But Porsche will be Porsche I guess. I'm sure they have a system that works for them and helps them keep order. Germans like order. I understand that.

And I know that there are all those Club Coupes out there eating up X51s. Maybe my car is sneaking through with them in October. What do you think? I'm probably just lucky that I don't want the Carrera Sport Design wheels coming with those PCA coupes.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:31 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Same thing here. Tried to add the TPMS to my order but alerted salesman to what Aerosmith said and everytime he added TPMS to my order X51 dropped off. So we left well enough alone and it looks like I will have to do visuals and use a tire gage.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:38 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Screw the wheels!! You can get any of the wheel sets on ebay for CHEAP. With tires too.
Old 10-24-2005 | 12:36 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

I had no problem changing my december build with the X-51 option. That is, I think I have no problem????
Old 10-24-2005 | 02:35 AM
texas911
Race Car

Welcome to the world of Porsche ordering. Its not BS, changing options late in the game will delay your car. Give Porsche a break, with the bewildering combination of options, you can see why they don't like late changes.

Keep your order and switch out your wheels later is my opinion.
Old 10-24-2005 | 10:09 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

U vil not make any last minute changes or it's to the bottom of the list......

Quick Reply: Couldn't change the wheels on my order because the X51 is sold out!