Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Here's where I have bought Pinnacle Sovereign:
http://www.autogeek.net/carnauba-wax.html

Pinnacle gives a very nice shine on black, but its not very long lasting.
FWIW - I have bought different products from autogeek.net and have been very pleased with their turnaround time!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how long does a coat of KLASSE AIO & Paint protection last... will it go for 6 months? can you apply multiple coats to ensure such a duration?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Royalpar1, do as OCBen suggests, www.autopia.org and soak up as much info as this site is as good as any (actually I have never been on a board that just talked about detailing.......). Then click on the link to their website that sells the products (mostly Sonus, Meguire stuff). Go to "garage sales" click on it and you will see Pinnacle Sovereign for 1/2 price! A good buy, but if you can spare a little more why not try P21S too (optically very clear). Both are great but you MUST prep your car first (you guessed it, THE MOST IMPORTANT step). If your car is new try a good clay kit (there are so many just pick a reputable one). . I picked up Sonus's clay kit myself and the clay is very fine. If you are not confortable claying the car (its least abrasive compared to polishes) PRACTICE FIRST on your neighbors black car!LOL! (its very easy, use the lubricant and follow directions carefully). Skipping this could mean so so results no mater what you choose. Also, you will need absolutely clean microfiber buffing towels etc. You can't buy too many of these! Wash them by hand with.......yes.........microfiber soap! Use the right towel for the right job (not all created equal). Finally, inspect your towel BEFORE it touches your car, one speck of dirt is enough to mess up your black beauty's finish! Good luck.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:29 AM
gradyex
Racer

c70Pete, the claims on klasse/Zanio, etc state that they do indeed last that long but after a month of washes my experience (especially Klasse) is the "initial brilliance" fades and you can avoid this by simply applying a detailing "spritz" after you wash your car (or every other time). Otherwise the car should still be protected for that amount of time (don't wait too much longer for a recoat). I wax my car every 2 months and prep it again every 6 months or you will get "buildup".
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
texas911
Race Car

I'll just add that although I use Zaino, I do notice the synthetic shine that it produces. In certain angles, you'll get the tell tale rainbow shine. But, damn, it sure lasts long. That's mainly why I've settled on it.

But as others have said, these products are no good unless you prep your paint. Of course, our 997s are so new, you'll probably only need clay, not polish to get a good shine.

PS: By lasting long, I mean after 3 months, the water still beads like the Zaino was just applied, amazing!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Graydex,

my main concern is winter time... lots of snow and salt up here... I use the Zymol cleaner wax with fantastic results... it has a great deep shine... maybe it will last 2 months... don't know what protects better Zaino or the Zymol cleaner wax... but for the winter I like to put on 3 coats to be protected from the elements... I'm not so sure I'd like the synthetic shine as I've seen the diff between the two... perhaps Zaino is better on silver... my winter car is a deep coral red pearl metalic... so I'm thinking maybe stick to wax on the winter car...
Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
try Zaino it does a great job ...

NOsub edu you in Raleigh?

Aye Aye!! I used to hit VIR quite often, but that was in my previous car. It was an audi wagon (black)...so you could not have missed it. Always a site to see on the road course.

Had to throw in the obligatory porsche content.
You heading to Charlotte next month for the car show?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey no sub. i have seen the car at VIR... i am looking at a new s4 for daily driver because of that wagon!!!
i dont think i am i think it conflicts with on of the two events i am doing at VIR ... what was the date of the show. I had my 930 in the show the year before last i did very well ...

you should sign up for the first settlers region end of sept. the cars are great on the track right out of the box... putting pss9's on next week taking off the H&R springs.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Nice! I figured you might had noticed it...I was becoming a bit of a regular until the car ate it's 2nd engine and lost the tranny.

For obvious reasons, I've been weary of taking the 997 to the track. I was thinking about picking up a used 911 (964 or 993) and use it strictly for the track.

My 997 is just too darn nice to bend at the track, and at the rate I was going with the wagon, any off's in my p-car and I'd just about ring my OWN neck!

The car show is the weekend of the 18th. It's that Sunday, from 8:00-4:00. If your interested, let me know, and I'll forward the info for the event as well as the coordinator's contact info.

I'm REALLY itching to get this bad boy on a road course, especially since it's hooked up with the PASM, PSE, etc, etc etc....I want to go tot he PDE in Atlanta first and learn how to drive a Porsche (RWD, rear-engine) at somebody elses (car-)expense.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:29 PM
gradyex
Racer

c70Pete, wax is just fine for winter (as well as Zainio and Klasse) just be sure that if you do 3 coats you let each coat "cure" at least 24 - 48 hours, otherwise space the coats out (once every week for 3 weeks). Don't forget to go back after 2 hours for the final "buff". If you skip this your car will look even better after the first wash when you hand towel to dry otherwise waxes can leave a haze especially on black. Sounds like a good plan and its always nice to see the water bead off and know that its protected. The most expensive wax products contain 61% white carnauba Brazilian. Some contain both white and yellow carnauba, some just yellow. Zymol products tend to advertize the % of each and even have one dedicated to Porsche believe it or not (didn't get it, $99.00). Do a google on Zymol.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am definitely a believer in Zaino .. and it's ability to produce a deep shine.

I recently used it on my new-to-me 993 and was amazed with the results. I detailed my detailing experience in this thread, including more photos and exact products used:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/220096-detailing-the-new-ride.html

Last edited by InTheAir; 08-18-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 AM
gradyex
Racer

Very nice!! A classic car with brilliance to boot! If it looks this good on a photo it must really radiate in person. Which ever route you choose the secret is giving it 100% of your effort and doing it right (requires patience and time) but this picture is evidence of the end result. Use the "spritz" after every wash (any good name brand will do) and it will last a long, long, time!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 AM
lmmotola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thought's on Griot products?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:48 AM
gradyex
Racer

Unhappy

Griot's the man! Good selection, products tested by Griot himself so it must be good right? I find that company to be a first class act. What you order (anything related to your garage and more) will be the absolute best available. Stuff aint cheap but neither are the cars we drive. Waxes, sealants, well, their good, very good but (sorry Griot) you might want to try some of the others too. I feel sad now like I betrayed the man. Griot I did not mean what I said, please I want a picture of my garage on the cover of your magazine! You da man! You promised?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:34 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

2nd the Glasur from Zymol. Expensive ($99) but definitely amazing product. Even better than the P21S that I've been using exclusively for the past 6 months on both black rides.

Quick Reply: What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?