993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailing the new ride...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Detailing the new ride...

Well, considering this is my "first" detail job, I failed to take any before pictures the day I started. I guess I was too eager to get started. Also, considering this is my "first", I know many of my products are reduntant. However, I wanted to experiment with a number of them, so I indulged.

Anyway, I started the cleaning on Friday and ended on Sunday, although I took a number of breaks along the way. It also helped to allow the Zaino to cure. Here is all that I did:
  • Wash entire car with Dawn (twice) to remove anything and everything
  • Clayed with Clay Magic (Blue)
  • Aerospace 303 Cleaner on the Engine and scrub
  • Aerospace 303 Protectant on the engine
  • Vacuum interior
  • Shampoo all mats and removable carpets
  • Raggtopp Cleaner to convertible top (scrub)
  • Raggtopp Convertible Protectant (3 Coats)
  • Wash Zaino Z-7
  • Zaino ZFX Fusion twice, especially around the door handles and fenders (lots of small scratches)
  • Zaino Z-5 (each with ZFX)
  • Zaino Z-6
  • Zaino Z-5
  • Zaino Z-6
  • Zaino Z-5
  • Zaino Z-6
  • Zaino Z-2PRO
  • Zaino Z-8
  • Zaino Z-2PRO
  • Zaino Z-8
  • Sonus Leather Cleaner to all leather (seats, doors, etc.)
  • Zaino Z-16 Tire Dress
  • Sonus Leather Conditioner
  • Invisible Glass to windows
  • Plexus to rear window
  • Aerospace 303 Protectant to all door seals

All in all, I am incredibly happy with the Zaino products. :xyxthumbs I was really amazed with the amount of dead paint that came off with the Fusion and how well the Z-5 made the light scratches disappear. The depth added by the Z-2PRO was even fun to see.

Last edited by InTheAir; 10-22-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew, and how many days did it take to do all that? Looks really nice!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too did the Zaino process for the first time yesterday - wash, clay, wash, ZX2 and i was very impressed with the results - of course i was too lazy to take picutres like you did, your car looks great! i'd recommend Zaino to everyone.

Jim
Old 08-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks great!

When I got my car a couple years ago I called Autopia about how to take care of the paint. I wanted something simple, but also something that worked well. The person I talked to owns his own detailing shop and he recommended the following, which I followed. Works well for me, and it is not too time consuming - takes about 4 - 5 hours, once or twice a year.

Dawn
Clay
Klasse All in One
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Sonus Arcylic Spritz

Once a week I do a quick detail with Sonus Arcylic Spritz (10 minutes) and wash every 4 - 6 weeks. Of course a long or buggy drive may require a wash. Each wash is followed by a quick detail with the Sonus Arcylic Spritz. Keeps it looking great!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff-

Great results!! Car is now nice and clean, so.... let the modding begin!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Vaughan
Whew, and how many days did it take to do all that? Looks really nice!
Well, I spent about 6 hours on Friday afternoon (left work, too eager to get started ), which included:
  • Wash entire car with Dawn (twice) to remove anything and everything
  • Aerospace 303 Cleaner on the Engine and scrub
  • Vacuum interior
  • Shampoo all mats and removable carpets
  • Sonus Leather Cleaner to all leather (seats, doors, etc.)
  • Raggtopp Cleaner to convertible top (scrub)
  • Raggtopp Convertible Protectant (1 Coat)

On Saturday, I spent another 6 hours on:
  • removed all turn signal housings to clean behind and minimize wax edges
  • Aerospace 303 Protectant on the engine
  • Clayed with Clay Magic (Blue)
  • Wash Zaino Z-7
  • Zaino ZFX Fusion twice, especially around the door handles and fenders (lots of small scratches)
  • Zaino Z-5 (each with ZFX)
  • Zaino Z-6
  • Zaino Z-5
  • Zaino Z-6
  • Zaino Z-5
  • Zaino Z-6
[/list]
On Sunday, I spent about 3 hours finishing up and gazing at it:
  • Zaino Z-2PRO
  • Zaino Z-8
  • Zaino Z-2PRO
  • Zaino Z-8
  • Zaino Z-16 Tire Dress
  • Sonus Leather Conditioner
  • Invisible Glass to windows
  • Plexus to rear window
  • Aerospace 303 Protectant to all door seals
Old 08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Don C
Wow, looks great!

When I got my car a couple years ago I called Autopia about how to take care of the paint. I wanted something simple, but also something that worked well. The person I talked to owns his own detailing shop and he recommended the following, which I followed. Works well for me, and it is not too time consuming - takes about 4 - 5 hours, once or twice a year.

Dawn
Clay
Klasse All in One
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Sonus Arcylic Spritz

Once a week I do a quick detail with Sonus Arcylic Spritz (10 minutes) and wash every 4 - 6 weeks. Of course a long or buggy drive may require a wash. Each wash is followed by a quick detail with the Sonus Arcylic Spritz. Keeps it looking great!
Yup, that's a good combo.

This first detail was certainly long, but all-in-all it was that way by design. I wanted to really get at all the nooks and crannies in this first go around. And, heck, it was fun to get the new ride in tip top shape.

Zaino is very durable, so it only requires a new coat every 4-6 months. However, I will be doing it more often, since the additional layers really add to the depth and wetness of the paint, especially the black. Although carnauba waxes will probably make it look even wetter, I'll trade some wetness for durability.

There really are a lot of great products out there--many can produce great results.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hey Jeff...tell me more about this Aerospace 303 product for the engine...cleaner/protectant...how does it work? Never heard about it and my engine needs cleaning...

Thanks...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

She looks SWEEEEEEEEETTTTT
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow! that's a lot of TLC.... looks fantastic!!

..I've used Zaino stuff myself in the past... only thing is one of the steps doesn't dry well when the humidity is high (I found that out the hard way)...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pretty damn cool -- I wish I had the time to do the same.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Scott
Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Hi ce,

if you use the ZFX accelerator additive, it speeds up the curing time even in the humidity. i'm in Kansas City, and the wax was dry in 30 minutes...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kkim
so.... let the modding begin!!
You are evil, Kelly. Just plain evil.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Hey Jeff...tell me more about this Aerospace 303 product for the engine...cleaner/protectant...how does it work? Never heard about it and my engine needs cleaning...
Pedro -

As I won't be able to do it justice, I'll post "their" synopsis in just a second. Just to let you know, I used it by first warming the engine for a minute or two (not enough to make it hot, just enough to make it warm to the touch without having to pull your hand back). I covered up all of the critical areas of the engine with aluminum foil, which allowed me to form a tight bundle only over the selected area--worked well. I then applied the A303 cleaner at full strength to my engine and let it stick for 3-5 minutes. I scrubbed some of the dirtier areas and the most noticable areas (i.e. the Varioram). I then just sprayed down the engine with water (noting the previously covered portions) and dried. Later in my detailing process, I came back through and dressed the engine (plastics, rubber hoses, etc.) with the 303 Protectant to make the black black. I'll try to post a picture sometime soon.

Here's "their" description:

"Tough enough to clean up an oil slick, safe enough to wash vegetables!

303's New Aerospace Cleaner is an industrial strength concentrate. It is designed to accomplish even the toughest, heaviest-duty cleaning jobs safely, without harsh chemicals.

303 Aerospace Cleaner contains no caustics, acids or solvents. It is non-flammable, non-fuming, odorless and rinses residue free. Since it is super-concentrated, 303 Aerospace Cleaner is typically used at dilutions of 10-1 to 200-1 & greater, depending on the task at hand - see the product label for more information. Yet this new-technology product is perfectly safe to use full strength as a hand cleaner (safe, but wasteful).

Super-concentrated, and super-safe, 303 Aerospace Cleaner exceeds EPA standards for biodegradablity. 303 Aerospace Cleaner is powerful enough to clean oil tanker holds and degrease engines, yet is safe enough to wash fruits and vegetables !

303 Aerospace Cleaner is so advanced it degreases engines, cuts and dissolves even the heaviest greasy build-up. Use it to wipe away road oil, safely clean vinyl, metals, paint, plastic, rubber...even carpet and upholstery."

Here is their site with more info and some photos:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?...rospacecleaner
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ceboyd
wow! that's a lot of TLC.... looks fantastic!!

..I've used Zaino stuff myself in the past... only thing is one of the steps doesn't dry well when the humidity is high (I found that out the hard way)...
Yeah, from what I read, this was an issue with the older products. As you might recall, the Zaino stuff was also limited to one coat per 24 hours, so as to allow the polymers to link up.

Nowadays, they have the ZFX Accelerator (which Jim mentioned) that can be added to accelerate the linking process. It also allows you to put up to 3 layers on in a 24 hour period. It works really well.

Quick Reply: Detailing the new ride...