Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I have been using Zaino products for over a year now. I'm a believer!
My garage shelf is full of premium carnuba wax products that I've used over the years both on previous P Cars and pedestrian vehicles, but Zaino is the only one that touches my black 997....
Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I've got just about every product imaginable in my garage and have been detailing my own cars for 25 years now. First off, this is a very controversial topic so here goes: Non metallic colors, especially black/red, do well with products like Zanio/Klasse/etc. Those are "synthetic" products and produce a deep gloss + last a long time. Also they are fairly easy to use. For my Arctic silver I prefer the depth and shine of Carnauba products because I am not after the high-gloss look. High gloss kills the depth that those "flakes" in metallic paint can produce (almost 3D like). You have to ask yourself how much time your willing to spend in your garage to keep the car in its best form. If waxing is not your cup of tea, use Klasse all in one and be done with it. If your willing to spend more time and like the synthetics go with Zanio (involves several steps and products) . For paste waxes (non synthetic Carnauba) my favorite is P21-S (doesn't stain rubber either) and Zymol. For $170.00 you can get a sample of 3 top grade Zymol waxs ( Destiny, Vintage, and Atlantique). These samples are enough to wax your Porsche for many many years! It makes no practical sense to purchase a $6500.00 wax (I am not kidding) thats riduculous! These products are applied using your bare hands (go to Zymol site for details) . To rap it up here (1) Never allow your dealer to prep or wax your car! (2) prep work is everything (use clay method even on new cars). (3) For synthetics (Zanio is my first choice, Klasse is another good one). (4) If you use Zanio stick with Zanio and do not mix or top coat with any Carnauba products. If you plan on top coating with non-synthetic waxes use Klasse instead (I still don't recommend it). If you like natures Carnauba (like I do on metallics, especially light colors) then just apply a quick "spritz" after a car wash (Sonus, Zymol are good ones) to prolong its life. Sonus Spritz comes in both synthetic and Carnauba form and lastly; (5) Keep your car washed regularly and hopefully inside a garage. Leave the car covers off unless you plan to store it or own frisky animals (or children for that matter). Good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:33 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gradyex, it appears you know wax on wax off pretty well? lol, I am getting the Basalt Black, I was reading your post and it talked about zymol for metalic, but then you say " If you like natures Carnauba (like I do on metallics, especially light colors)" what about dark colors?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by djantlive
Zaino doesn't shine but lasts and protects well. I'd put spray on wax or glaze on top of zaino for best results when it really needs to shine.
I'm not trying to dispute your opinion, but you are the first person I've heard say Zaino doesn't shine. Are you using their "spray on, wipe off" Gloss Enhancer between and after each coat of Zaino polish?

I've got a car that's five years old, which I have been using Zaino since new. It is daily driven, and people keep thinking the car is brand new. I'm very pleased with their products.

Michael
Old 08-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely try the Zaino Gloss Enhancer. NOt much work to make the finish look incredible, one bottle will last several months....it's like the fountain of youth for paint/clearcoat.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer48
Intermediate

Default Zaino or Klasse????

Thanks to everyone for the great info! It has been very helpful.

Regarding Zaino and Klasse, which of these two products would be most suitable for a brand new Basalt Black metallic 997? Be advised that I do not particularly enjoy waxing/detailing a car, so ease of application and durability are important to me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by Racer48; 08-14-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

If you don't like to wax often, get the Zaino. It lasts a very long time.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 PM
LanceK
Pro

I have a black coupe and did NOT like the results I got from Zaino.

Personally I don't care for the "shine" it produces. It sometimes looked like it was wrapped in plastic. I prefer the deep black carnauba waxes produce on black.

Also using Zaino was a total PIA IMHO. Even if I liked it better I wouldn't use it due to the time and difficulty of application. The humidity here in the Northeast makes it harder than if you're in the dry West, but even in non humid months I didn't like it.

I use Griot's for most stuff and fill in with a few other brands.

My .02.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

try Zaino it does a great job ...

NOsub edu you in Raleigh?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 AM
gradyex
Racer

LanceK /royalpar1, try Pinnacle Souveran, or better yet P21S (won't stain the rubber) and those flakes will jump in front of your eyes! If I had black basalt, or straight black (or any color) I would use carnauba wax. I havent used Zanio for 3 years now because I like carnauba products over synthetic ( the shine on synthetic products looks, well, like plastic, very shiny plastic). Its my personal opinion and if your a die hard Zaino guy I'm not saying Zanio is a bad product, its not, just a personal preference. Like I stated before, its a controversial topic and there are no correct answers, just opinions. No synthetic products ever touched my 997S Coupe because I like what the waxes do for it and I like the diversity of all the different ones (good ones) on the market. No 2 products are exactly the same and produce different results. Part of the fun is trying out whats out there and coming to your own conclusions. Griots paste/liquid wax by the way is one on the top of my list. The trick with waxes is not to let them fully cure or you will have an optically hazy mess. Of course never wax in the direct sun. Also you must do a final buff using a clean towel about 1 -2 hours later to really get that just waxed look (there is nothing like it). Problem is it does not last long. Plan on at least bi-monthly recoats or better yet every month. Not something most people want to do. AS an alternative and to prolong the shine "Spritz" the car right after a wash to lengthen the time between "waxing". Zanio and Klasse will loose their brilliance too, just not so quickly. Shine on!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Have tried a bunch of these products - but Meguiars NXT gives me the best compromise between durability and shine (and price too). I found Zaino to be too "plastic" and not deep enough on black, but works great on metallic silver.

But - IMHO - a good paint care regime (i.e clay bar, polish/swirl remover) will have much greater impact on black than your actual choice of wax.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-CT
But - IMHO - a good paint care regime (i.e clay bar, polish/swirl remover) will have much greater impact on black than your actual choice of wax.
That's a true statement. Paintwork care is what gets you the deep shine. The wax will only help you protect it.

Below is another pic of my Boxster's paintwork treatment.
Attached Images  

Last edited by OCBen; 08-16-2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added photo.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Hi gradyex, could you give me the link for " try Pinnacle Souveran, or better yet P21S " I do not know these products and would like to buy them.

thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Here's where I have bought Pinnacle Sovereign:
http://www.autogeek.net/carnauba-wax.html

Pinnacle gives a very nice shine on black, but its not very long lasting.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I learned most of what I know from www.autopia.org regarding polishes and waxes.

Quick Reply: What waxes/sealants are you using on your black Porsche?