Sponsored by:

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Yup! This is what I bought as you suggested. .
Very nice.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
All of this was addressed several years ago. You should invest in a Das Shield as well.

Where does the take off wheel go? What is ultimately the real question. No full-sized 997 wheel will easily fit inside the car.
So, if you are removing a tire (versus just using the goo to plug a small leak), would that mean it is damaged beyond repair? If so, could a few tools, (sheet metal shears for example) allow you to cut the damaged tire off the rim? The rim alone ought to fit in the Carrera. (Just an idea, I have lots of them - mostly they are not very good.)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

I recently picked up a 996 C4S spare with jack (unused) from a salvage yard for $300.

Dealer wants $750.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
, could a few tools, (sheet metal shears for example) allow you to cut the damaged tire off the rim?
That's a good one! Would be very easy to cut along the perimeter thru the sidewall. This style of shears would be best, IMO
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and your packing the remants of the tire and putting them in the car as well? We wouldnt want anyone to leave the detritus of a blown tire in the environment, that being said Id probably toss it in the woods too. good idea im packing shears.

I have what was a boxster spare and was told it would fit by a porsche tech. I am driving around in blissful ignorance as I haven't tested it as yet and thats in a 997.1 and 997.2 the 996 had the appropriate spare
Old 05-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If one cuts the tire from the rim (Assuming you don't intend to patch the tire from the inside but replace it).. then imagine cuttting it from the rim with a 1/4" sidewall puncture or some significant tread puncture that the sealant is just blowing out of... and that, in the rain, at night, along the interstate.

If you do cut it off, how easy is that, to cut it totally off the rim, without damaging the rim?

If off, I'd leave it on the side of the road, like so much truck tread and tire bits I have to avoid on a regular basis.

Heck for this purpose alone, I'm now really considering having a trailer receiver installed on the back end along with a special mount that would plug into it that you then bolt the flat wheel to... so its just hanging off the back end like a bike. Storage problem solved.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Yup! This is what I bought as you suggested. Should be tough enough to get the wheel to the shop while protecting the interior. Also have a spare towel for the non covered portions of the rim as well as the seat.
Remember one thing though.. that only covers the rubber, not the two wheel faces (unless you have the inserts for that too) so dirty, brake dust covered wheels would come in contact with the inside of the car. But those are the starting point to getting a bag for inside-the-the care storage.

Me, I'm now leaning toward having a trailer hitch type solution fabricated.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Roof rack, perhaps?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 AM
djlod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spare from a 996 / 986 that can fit on a 997 and 997S.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-a-997-a.html
Thanks to RPMert for the photo of a spare tire mounted on a 997S.
The rest of the photos are of my spare tire.
Tire size: 105/95R17
Part # 996.362.130.01
This spare is the fully inflated spare tire, not the inflatable space saver spare tire.
The spare tire fits nicely in the front trunk of my 997.
The spare tire has never been used, never mounted.
The tire is in perfect condition, and the rim is in great shape also.
PM me if you are interested.
Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
If you do cut it off, how easy is that, to cut it totally off the rim, without damaging the rim?
I'm thinking you just cut it off thru the thinnest part of the sidewall, leave the bead in place. You definitely have a point if somebody tries to cut the entire thing off.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm thinking you just cut it off thru the thinnest part of the sidewall, leave the bead in place. You definitely have a point if somebody tries to cut the entire thing off.
The other issue, if you have tire and wheel coverage like I do, is that I bet they require seeing the old tire before giving a new one.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I think we can safely say that cutting the tire off the rim is not an option unless you're looking for a new hobby. I haven't tried to do that since I was a kid and even then it was a serious undertaking.

Deflate the tire, double bag it (maybe even with a purposed tire bag), and it will fit past the seat. You'll have to rearrange your luggage but unless you have hard suitcases or passengers in the back (ha!) you'll probably be OK.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I think we can safely say that cutting the tire off the rim is not an option unless you're looking for a new hobby. I haven't tried to do that since I was a kid and even then it was a serious undertaking.

Deflate the tire, double bag it (maybe even with a purposed tire bag), and it will fit past the seat. You'll have to rearrange your luggage but unless you have hard suitcases or passengers in the back (ha!) you'll probably be OK.
Yeah, been thinking about it. You're right. Imagine it's late, maybe wet and you mounted the spare and are dealing with the flat.

Which will you or I choose: Wrestle it gingerly but with difficulty into the back seat in a bag and drive off OR mess with aviation shears to cut, lacerate and mangle the rubber off the rim as other cars whiz by?

Plus with the same excitement my wife has with a new pair of shoes, I'd get to pull out and use this this great accessory suggested by wwilliams above:
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would love watching someone try to cut a tire off the rim by hand these days.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would love watching someone try to cut a tire off the rim by hand these days.

Just cut thru following the sidewall. Leave the beads where they are. Nice sharp and tight aviation shears; probably can do it without even getting blisters.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Spare tire