Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Of Course its Raining

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wearing a suit to the store could make it a nicer experience.... just like driving the 997 to pick up some nuts-'n-bolts from the hardware store. Otherwise it'll just be an uneventful drive through the city, while the 911 will always make it feel special.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
That sounds reasonable. I never know what the "right" amount is. I would think giving them the $ at the beginning as they have your baby in their possession, is better than after.
Absolutely, and that is exactly what I do. I give that extra tip at the beginning, then I give the traditional $1 when I leave. They usually let me keep my keys. I really think it is all about respect. If you act like some rich snobby bastard in a Porsche who looks down on valets and yet only tips $1, watch out for your car. If you treat a valet with respect and treat them as peers (and professionals), I promise that MOST will watch your car for you as if it were their own. Respect and civility go far IMHO.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mr. Accelerate, nice job with your avatar there.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
wearing a suit to the store could make it a nicer experience.... just like driving the 997 to pick up some nuts-'n-bolts from the hardware store. Otherwise it'll just be an uneventful drive through the city, while the 911 will always make it feel special.
So true. Don Pipo visits Home Depot multiple times in his 996 every weekend.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
keep going guys, few more praises and maybe we'll be able to convince him to bring that bad boy out to the track!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Pinkert
Me too! I don't drive at night because I'll have to use my headlights and I don't want the bulbs to wear out.

Similarly, I bought a brand new full suspension XC mountain bike with 6 inches of travel front and rear. But I only ride jogging trails and paved bike paths for fear of over-taxing the suspension or breaking the frame.

Your car, your money, your waste.
Heh, that's a good one!

I remember (vaguely) the story when Dr. Porsche himself was at bebble beach and when one of very rare Porsche won concours competition, he was asked did he feel proud to see that old car in such a pristine condition and winning the concours, he replied it was sad to see that car only being "babyed" and not driven hard because that's what he built the car for.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Finn, do you remember where you might have read this story? It sure is an interesting one if it can be corroborated.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Would you wear your Armani Suite to the grocery store or to go jogging? Hey its your waste!
Would you wear your Armani Suite or hang it in a closet? Hey its your waste!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Hey Finn, do you remember where you might have read this story? It sure is an interesting one if it can be corroborated.
Not too long ago.

Maybe it was one of the magazines (911&Porsche world, Excellence or Panorama) where they had story about Porsche race cars...
Could be one of my Porsche books too.

Damn, I need to go through my Porsche books & magazines and find it.

Anyone else remember this story?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
munro86
Racer

My Uncle used to engage the hand-brake by holding the button in so as to not wear out the rachet mechanism and he had a cloth over it as well...I kid you not! And as a joke (I think?) he would reach out of his window while driving and polish the roof...funny as hell.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by munro86
My Uncle used to engage the hand-brake by holding the button in so as to not wear out the rachet mechanism ...
That's a great idea!
Originally Posted by munro86
And as a joke (I think?) he would reach out of his window while driving and polish the roof...funny as hell.
Hey, I'm almost there!
I keep a couple microfiber towels in the armrest compartment that I occasionally use to wipe as I drive or at a stoplight - usually the dash, or the side mirror. The wife frowns when I do that, something about it being embarrassing. I have no idea what she's talking about.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

This is out of control. I really hope I dont have to start driving in a straight line so I dont wear out the rack & pinion steering.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:08 PM
texas911
Race Car

Yes I wear my Armani suit when the occasion calls for it. I drive my Porsche when the occasion calls for it. I also don't wear the same watch everyday. Nor my shoes. Whey drive the same car everyday?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by texas911
Yes I wear my Armani suit when the occasion calls for it. I drive my Porsche when the occasion calls for it. I also don't wear the same watch everyday. Nor my shoes. Whey drive the same car everyday?
It is one thing to drive something else because you feel like it or prefer it. It is something altogether different not to drive the Porsche you love because you don't want to get it dirty or wear it out. Apples and Oranges. Of course, everyone has the right to do whatever they choose. It is their car. However, why would they want to?

Last edited by TD in DC; 08-16-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Of Course its Raining