Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Of Course its Raining

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:17 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some scary reading here guys- but then again I'm coming from Finn's side of the pitwall

ride her hard and put away wet!

don't let the German engineers see what you're doing to these high PERFORMANCE, high HORSEPOWER, high SPEED beasts... they'll slap the keys out your hands

having dirt on the car will not depreciate its value, (after all, dirt is just sitting there, not eating away at paint, sucking the luster out of it etc.) but having it sit unused will. There are many examples of pristine 80's vintage 911s that have under 20k miles, and funny enough, those are the cars people shy away from. If that motor wasn't exercised and lubricated regularly/vigorously, it actually harms it more than shifting at redline.

I also understand that it's nice to preserve the "new look" for quite some time, especially with a brand new car. Even I am guilty of occasionally trying to maintain its appearance. I just washed it (after 4 track weekends) and the wheels were almost blacked out w/ brake dust. When I drove it clean, I actually braked softer LOL, in order not to generate too much brake dust. (Felt kinda silly doing it too.) This behavior goes away quickly, thankfully.

Which makes me wonder, who are you preserving the car for? The NEXT owner? So that HE can have a brand new, pristine car for 1/2 the price?? I'm sure he'll appreciate that. It's like having a girlfriend and not trying to get too wild and kinky with her in order to preserve her.... what?... chastity? She'll just go nuts, or be "driven" wild, by the next guy, who's not going to take it easy on her. Same thing will happen to your car that you preserved for him

And for the sake of your car, I hope you guys don't valet them.... because that car gets more abuse in 20 seconds of being parked than apparently you have dished out on the car since you've owned it. And it's YOUR CAR!

Just to add more fuel, would you NOT DRIVE a CGT if it had a big "X" keyed right on the hood? Would the car suck? Would it be any slower, uglier, less desirable, or even less expensive? Ok, so I'm driving my CGT, it has a huuuuuge dent AND scratch on the hood, but you know what? I don't care b/c it's STILL a CGT!

Oh, and some of the best driving is done on an overcast moody day... just puts me in the mood to go fast and watch the fallen leaves swirl in my mirror. If it rains, you can back off a bit, or even better, be more in touch w/ what the car is doing.

One way to overcome rain phobia is simply to just get stuck in a big downpour, far away from home (far enough so that your engine temp actually hits operating range).

but that's just me, your mileage may vary (or just not increase )
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
Which makes me wonder, who are you preserving the car for? The NEXT owner? So that HE can have a brand new, pristine car for 1/2 the price?? I'm sure he'll appreciate that. It's like having a girlfriend and not trying to get too wild and kinky with her in order to preserve her.... what?... chastity? She'll just go nuts, or be "driven" wild, by the next guy, who's not going to take it easy on her. Same thing will happen to your car that you preserved for him
Damnit D, don't give away my secret! I am keeping my eye on a few of the rennlist cars for exactly that reason! Oh the things I will do!

And for the sake of your car, I hope you guys don't valet them.... because that car gets more abuse in 20 seconds of being parked than apparently you have dished out on the car since you've owned it. And it's YOUR CAR!
I disagree a little here. I have to valet sometimes. When I do, I just open the wallet a little wider and pay to have the car left in front. The Valets have always been very accomodating, and happy to have my car in front of the restaurant.

Oh, and some of the best driving is done on an overcast moody day... just puts me in the mood to go fast and watch the fallen leaves swirl in my mirror. If it rains, you can back off a bit, or even better, be more in touch w/ what the car is doing.
Yup, I even drive mine in the snow (with real snow tires of course)
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Re: valets

If you have to go some distance to park the car, forget it, I can do that myself.

If, in turn, I pull up in front of a place and want the spot "right there", then just point me where you want the car to be left. I've got depth perception too, apparently it's standard, and I'm capable of parking the car myself. I even know how to engage an e-brake. (You'll still get the "valet fee") Then I'll get out and around, and open the door for my date. What's the point of having someone move the car over by 5-10 yards while you walk into a restaurant?

By the way, a block-length, maybe half (depending on her shoes) makes for a quite nice stroll w/ the right company...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Ben, Do you use the jack in the car when removing the tires or did you buy/have a different jack mechanism to jack the car up?
I use the scissors jack from my Z car, with a little square block of wood on top to protect the lift point, of course.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Re: valets

If you have to go some distance to park the car, forget it, I can do that myself.

If, in turn, I pull up in front of a place and want the spot "right there", then just point me where you want the car to be left. I've got depth perception too, apparently it's standard, and I'm capable of parking the car myself. I even know how to engage an e-brake. (You'll still get the "valet fee") Then I'll get out and around, and open the door for my date. What's the point of having someone move the car over by 5-10 yards while you walk into a restaurant?

By the way, a block-length, maybe half (depending on her shoes) makes for a quite nice stroll w/ the right company...
I won't park on the streets in DC, where the "bump" method of parallel parking is accepted practice. In order to get garage parking, you often have to valet. By paying a little "premium" I can park the car myself or watch them park it. Where there is no garage, the valets will not let you park in the section of the street they control. Again, by paying a little premium, I can park it myself or watch them park it there. At the places I frequent, the valets know me and go out of their way to take care of me (by moving other cars that might be there). My car has always been fine, and the valets have always been super polite. Of course, it probably helps that I speak Spanish They take care of hermanos I would still drive it even if it were bumped
Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Josh Pinkert
6th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by I XLR8
I just don't want to put an additional drain on the engine by turning on the A/C. If it's too hot, she stays in the garage. I know, I'm sick. Maybe I'll feel differently after a few years. But, I doubt it.
Me too! I don't drive at night because I'll have to use my headlights and I don't want the bulbs to wear out.

Similarly, I bought a brand new full suspension XC mountain bike with 6 inches of travel front and rear. But I only ride jogging trails and paved bike paths for fear of over-taxing the suspension or breaking the frame.

Your car, your money, your waste.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
In order to get garage parking, you often have to valet. By paying a little "premium" I can park the car myself or watch them park it.
TD...

What is usually the accepted "premium" so that they will not scoff (sp?) at your cheapness? "Smooth, but not rich". Haha...I love that commercial.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Arrwin
TD...

What is usually the accepted "premium" so that they will not scoff (sp?) at your cheapness? "Smooth, but not rich". Haha...I love that commercial.
Out of all honesty, I don't think it takes much. It is more the gesture than the overall amount, at least in DC. In DC, people typically give valets a lousy $1 tip. Wow. I give $5, or $10 depending upon the circumstances. The restaurants usually pick up the parking fee, so I am paying a total of 5 or 10 for parking. Yeah, I don't like to spend money but treating the valets with respect and giving them a little extra can't hurt.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

I refuse to valet. ... I'll walk a mile before turning the keys over to a valet.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:34 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCBen
I refuse to valet. ... I'll walk a mile before turning the keys over to a valet.
but, but, that's just one more mile you are not driving that fine piece of machinery
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Would you wear your Armani Suite to the grocery store or to go jogging? Hey its your waste!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by texas911
Would you wear your Armani Suite to the grocery store or to go jogging? Hey its your waste!
Of course that's not really a fair analogy now is it? I respectfully submit that the following two analogies are more appropriate:

Would you refuse to wear your Armani Suit during a night out on the town because someone might spill a drink on it, or you might get into a fight because you pulled some hot young thang away from her boyfriend?

Would you refuse to wear your New Balance running shoes while running a marathon because you might get the shoes a little dirty?

That's what we are talking about
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of all honesty, I don't think it takes much. It is more the gesture than the overall amount, at least in DC. In DC, people typically give valets a lousy $1 tip. Wow. I give $5, or $10 depending upon the circumstances. The restaurants usually pick up the parking fee, so I am paying a total of 5 or 10 for parking. Yeah, I don't like to spend money but treating the valets with respect and giving them a little extra can't hurt.
That sounds reasonable. I never know what the "right" amount is. I would think giving them the $ at the beginning as they have your baby in their possession, is better than after.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

but, but, that's just one more mile you are not driving that fine piece of machinery
True. ... But at least I'll know it won't get accidentally scratched or damaged by the valet. Of course it could just as well get keyed if I parked a mile away.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Pinkert
Me too! I don't drive at night because I'll have to use my headlights and I don't want the bulbs to wear out.

Similarly, I bought a brand new full suspension XC mountain bike with 6 inches of travel front and rear. But I only ride jogging trails and paved bike paths for fear of over-taxing the suspension or breaking the frame.

Your car, your money, your waste.
Ouch, O.K. O.K. I get it.

Quick Reply: Of Course its Raining