Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short shifter, new rear center console install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Short shifter, new rear center console install...

Last Sunday I installed a Porsche Short Shifter, a Porsche Aluminum look rear center console, and Porsche chrome plated quad tips on the 997 C2S. The first two were purchased from Justin and Tony at Brandywine and the latter from Ric at Suncoast. Most important THANKS! to forum members DD694 and gota911... the former who validated that the shift **** must be pulled off and the latter who gave rather brilliant instuctions as to how to pull off the shift ****. That was fun.

As the Short Shifter install requires the removal of the rear center console, "efficiency" as well as an attempt to "tie together" the aluma-look interior pieces prompted me to put in a new console after the Short Shifter install. Once the stock Stone Grey console was out the of the car the rear storage compartment lid hinge had to be disassembled for reassembly on the new Aluminum look console. That was flippin' fun.

The chrome tips were EASY and I suggest one take measurements from the stock tips to the rear fascia in several places to make proper visual alignment of the new tips simple. Torque on the exhaust tip clamp fasteners appears to be about 21 ft. lbs. ( found by using a torque wrench and "working up" on the stock tips until the stock fasteners moved. )

The Short Shifter is... well, awesome. Especially in combination with the Sport Chrono throttle settings ON. I'm underwhelmed with the aluma look console's added value but... it was worth a shot!

Photos:

Interior before and after-

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
paneraiwatches
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver console makes a huge difference. Nice!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anybody know if the stock 997S tips (quad) are interchangeable with the PSE?

BTW, console looks nice!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
DD694
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
Does anybody know if the stock 997S tips (quad) are interchangeable with the PSE?

BTW, console looks nice!
I think not.
The PSE has two exhaust outlet pipes from each muffler. Each pipe goes to one of the two outlets of the new chrome tip supplied with the PSE. The stock S exhaust tips only allow for ONE exhaust pipe from the muffler.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Maryle8802
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you contemplate a console in-exterior-color? If you did consider it, I would be interested to know why you rejected it. By your "worth a shot" statement I infer that you weren't totally sold on the Al. console to begin with.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maryle8802
Did you contemplate a console in-exterior-color? If you did consider it, I would be interested to know why you rejected it. By your "worth a shot" statement I infer that you weren't totally sold on the Al. console to begin with.
I did, I did... I was contemplating the Arctic Silver of the car, the Seal Grey-ish of the PCM switch trim plate, in fact, just about every color to break up that Stone Grey. But I got some good advice not to risk anything but Arctic Silver or Aluma-look... and since BD997 just did his in Arctic Silver I thought I'd try the other option.

I think my initial let down might be that I simply expected too much from the change. Reading that other members like the amount of change the Aluma-look makes is a big relief.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks great. I've got the same thing in the 997 Supercharged car here and it rocks. I don't like the stock shifter mechanism at all. Terribly long throws etc...
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Congrats! I installed the SSK about a month ago...truly awesome option.

Just my opinion, but I still really like the look of the leather rear console.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Johnny - I'm glad to hear that the "fulcrum" **** removal technique worked for you. If you aren't really blown away by the painted console, have you considered a leather rear center console (like alin2 stated)? It would still be gray, but much nicer finish that would compliment the remainder of your interior. The console looks OK, but personally, I have never cared for the painted rear center console option. However, that's just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

does the install of the center console require the removal of the shift ****, or is that just for the short shift kit ?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I just took mine off if anyone is interested. It's an Alumin look one.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
does the install of the center console require the removal of the shift ****, or is that just for the short shift kit ?
You should not have to remove the shift **** to remove/replace the rear center console.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:39 AM
RLandis
Racer

Your console looks great....you need to go a little further w/the alumilook to get the effect....get a carbon fiber/alum shifter and handbrake, and the door kit (alum hoop pulls & map lid covers)...then your alum look interior will rock. By the way, Artic Silver is not Alumilook.....GT3 Silver, or "sports silver" is the look (thanks to Gert for the info).

Quick Reply: Short shifter, new rear center console install...