Sponsored by:

Accident with 2005 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I went backwards into a cement highway divider at approx. 65 mph in my Chevy Trailerblazer last November. The only part of the truck that wasn't bent was the roof. There wasn't a single door that would shut right. They wouldn't total it.

BTW, I know longer make fun of Chevrolet products. I walked out of there without a single bruise or pain. I bent the seat six inches. Even the paramedics were surprised that I was okay. The truck did its job and absorbed the energy of the impact.

Of course, as soon as we got it back, we traded it in. The dealer never even blinked an eye or said a thing about having prior accident repair.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:51 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Response to post #19 by Steve 775. I was younger then and not as jaded as I have become with age. I did not hire a lawyer. I was rear ended on the left rear quarter. The impact actually spun my Audi around so I did not have a straight on whiplash. A couple of bruises from the spin. The State Farm guy handled both of us fairly promptly. It was not until later that I realized that I should have attempted to negotiate a better settlement. However, the outcome may have been the same.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 PM
tooner
Advanced

So Sorry dude... best of luck with the car... AND wishing you a BRAND NEW ONE!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 PM
steve775
Instructor

It will never be totaled, I got the word. Have to wait for more info.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:57 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

If they won't total it make them assure you that it will be repaired to the exact specifications as it was when you purchased it. If they have a rider in writing that specifies what a repair of a vehicle should be that isn't totaled please inform us. I need then to re-read my own policy to clarify how much damaged has to be incurred before a vehicle is classified as "totaled". Take care and I wish you the best.

Jay
Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
vtach88
Advanced

It would make sense that if the cost of the repairs is less than the current value (per Blue Book) or agreed value (if you have that sort of policy), then they won't total the car. It wouldn't be cost effective for them. Who cares about us!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope it works out for you steve. I'm glad you folks are ok and not seriously hurt. I remember back in 1978 when I owned a 914 2.0 purchased used by a guy that actually put retreads on the tires because he was too cheap to buy a new set and knew he would be selling the car soon. What was even more stupid was that after I purchased it I waited to buy new tires and wrecked the damn thing taking a turn a tad too fast. I lost control, spun out but hit a parked VW rabbit before plowing into a house (no one got hurt). Instead of totalling the car I had the bodyshop clip the front end (clipping was a common practice in the 70's where they actually cut the car in half and weld the front of another similiar car because fixing it part by part would be more expensive and the insurance would total it which is not what I had in mind). Anyhow the car got fixed, never drove the same, even complained about front wheel vibrations just cruising 65 mph on a freeway but the owner of the body shop told me that a simple wheel balance would take care of that and I believed him. I drove it for a year then decided to sell it (at a discount) disclosing the whole odeal to the new owner who shortly afterward tried to register the car in his name but discovered that the Vin in the front windshield did not match the pink slips so I directed the new owner to swing by the neighborhood body shop and fetch the old vin plate off the smashed 74 914 front end (it still resided at the shop). You see, the bodyshop welded the front end of a 73 914 instead of a 74 because no 74 model year cars could be located at the local junkyards. When I confronted the auto body shops owner he stated that he "forgot to exchange the vin tags" and was sorry he overlooked this. I think the guy that bought the car kept it for a whole month and then it was his turn to explain this fiasco to the next prospective owner. True story Steve, hope I put a smile on your face and for me hopefully after almost 30 years I've learned a thing or two about cars and how I shouldn't get too attached to them!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 PM
MMD
Banned

SOB! really pi**es me off reading the cr*p Steve's going thru. They smash your car and you're out $$$. They always make it sound like in the end you'll be fully compensated (depreciation, repaired-car value, replacement). What a load! Sorry Steve.

Always GET THE COPS INVOLVED if it's not your fault. They can ONLY give you more bargaining power, especially if the other guy was found to be "slightly" drunk.

Quick Reply: Accident with 2005 911 S