Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Accident with 2005 911 S (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/215983-accident-with-2005-911-s.html)

steve775 07-16-2005 03:34 PM

Accident with 2005 911 S

Someone rammed my new 2005 911 S today, and rammed it good he hit me about 40+ mph. My right rear was hit from behind while I was stopped in the road with signal on, waiting to make a turn, when I got out of my car, the tire was off the rim. The axle must have been bent, I was riding on the rim, the rim was bent towards the front. Oh well this stuff happens.

SrfCity 07-16-2005 03:41 PM

Jeez, sorry to hear that. You alright?

steve775 07-16-2005 03:47 PM

Yes, I we both got out and were walking fine, the seats in these cars are
very sturdy, and I had the adaptive sport seats, used my seatbelt. Interestingly, the computer readout stated the airbag was deployed, yet it wasn't at all, and I smelled an odor that I think had to be the airbag gas. It was the smell like that of fireworks.

special tool 07-16-2005 04:02 PM

Wow - you smelled the airbag propellant? That is interesting!!
Glad you are okay, man.

steve775 07-16-2005 04:18 PM

My hope is that it is totaled, but it might not be by virtue that it's practically new, so that means repairs which means it might never be the same, and that would be the worst case.

SrfCity 07-16-2005 04:26 PM

Push your insurance company to total the car. Good luck. Glad to hear you're OK.

gota911 07-16-2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Push your insurance company to total the car. Good luck. Glad to hear you're OK.

Push it off a cliff and you won't have to push your insurance company. :evilgrin:

Seriously, glad no one was hurt and I am truly sorry that happened. A similar thing happened to me a good number of years ago, (not in a P-car) so I can imagine how you felt. Glad you are OK.

MMD 07-16-2005 04:41 PM

Very sorry to hear this. Definitely suuuuuucks.

Good that it wasn't your fault and nobody got hurt. Now all you have to do is get it deemed "totaled."

Oh, make sure you have a stiff drink later; it's a veeery sad thing to happen to the cars we love so much. :( :crying: :biggulp:

steve775 07-16-2005 04:45 PM

Thanks very much for all the concern.

texas911 07-16-2005 05:18 PM

Any accident you walk away from is good. That's all that matters, and of course getting that loser that rammed you to pay for a new Porsche!

boolala 07-16-2005 07:21 PM

Unfortunately incidents like this devalue the car at trade in time. I once traded in a benz that had minor damage to the door that was repaired. Because of this the dealer said well we can;t give you as much for the car because now we're going to have to wholesale it as a result of the accident. Well they actually starmarked the car and put it on sale for 6 K over trade in. When I researched the car on carfax no accidents had been reported and thus someone buying this car would never know it had been in a minor accident and would have paid full retail price for it. Meaning it was worth full wholesale price at trade in.

In reality its seems unlikely that the insurance co will total this car. There would have to be more than about 65 K in damages which I doubt is the case. State Farm recently added a rider to their policies stating that they will not be responsible for reduction of the the cars value after it has been accidented. Since you are essentially suing the at fault driver you can (and should) persue additional compensation from THEIR insuracne co. I don't know if you'll suceed but it's worth a try. By the way who is the other driver insured by?

steve775 07-16-2005 07:53 PM

We are both insured by GEICO. I have a gap waiver with my credit union but I don't know if this is going to matter. Yes my car won't be worth much now, I really don't know how the car can be fixed correctly. The tire was completely off the rim, bunched up into the inside. The wheel had a crack (or two) in the middle, and the wheel was angled toward the front. Then there is the frame, body, axle, trans., possibly the engine is messed up too. They might have to bend the frame back, definitely tear off the rear right fender, do some welding, man that's sick! He hit me very hard, and I never heard him skid.

I might have to go the extra mile here, I'm not going to get financially screwed without a fight.

rss997 07-16-2005 08:09 PM

Why did they hit you? Drunk, young and stupid, on a cell phone?

Fill us in....

steve775 07-16-2005 08:41 PM

GT3BB 07-16-2005 08:50 PM

Are you leasing the car?