Who's tracked their 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who's tracked their 997

Interested in hearing from anyone who's tracked their 997, what mods you've made and what comparison you might be able to make vs the GT3

I'm thinking of taking my 997S to the track instead of my 964. I figure it better than it sitting in the garage doing nothing.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:56 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have several events on mine .... i love it i am considering purchasing a 997 GT3, i have lowers the springs, use pagid Yellow pads "A must!" ... evo air box ( sounds good maybe quicker throttle response dont know about HP gain)

its a great car on the track i am using Perelli Corsa N6 for the tires not the exact size for Porsche but didnt have any issues the really stick the track great turn in, great in hard braking... Used PS2 at first they made alot of noise but did hold track very well got very hot and got greasy towords end of session, lasted about 6 days on track

I would Suggest a clear bra

at the end of the day you will have a big smile.... car is very good... try turning off PSAM
Old 07-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Why do you suggest turning of PASM, I thought that it was designed for track days? Do you mean PSM aka Please Save Me as I like to call it. Have you heard of or had any issues with the EVOMS air box, I'm little worried by possible issues with the MAF. I planned on doing the same mod plus adding headers and cats (AWE tuning), plus chipping it.

Have you thought about trading in the 997 for a current GT3, I"ve thought long and hard about it and could get a good deal tomorrow if I wanted, the only thing stopping me is that I love the look of the 997 so much.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:52 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

yes I ment PSM sorry.... yes i was also thinking long and hard a bout a current 996 GT3.... still considering... very confused... i Dont plan on chipping mine warranty issues??????????

np with air box the mass flow goes right back in the same place
Old 07-11-2005, 08:57 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I have about 10+ hours of track time on a stock S with slicks. The car needs nothing else, it is a fantastic track car. I have never turned off PSM as it comes back on and could suprise you. On brake pads, I think the stock pads are excellent but will try some others at some point. The car has 7,500 miles on it and the front pads will be replaced before the next track day, they are now at about 40% to the good. Have fun and good luck on the track.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

997s what tires u running when u said slick ...what size u using
try pagid yellow
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Are you running 19" wheels? I didn't think they made any r-comps for this size yet?

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 07:38 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Hey 930man it's been a while since we spoke, I hope all is well. I just finished a PDE class...for what it's worth the general consensus on PSM is leave it on (all current professional racers). The saying was if it's good enough for F1 it's good enough for me. It should be used kind of like your ABS kicking in during hard braking...an indicator of too much. They went off on some DE instructors saying that PSM slows you down...then they ask you "when does PSM kick in?" When you're about to be out of control is the answer...then they say "well if it kicks in when you’re out of control how can it possibly be slowing you down if you are driving properly?" The rule of thumb should be if it kicked in figure out what you did wrong and fix it...its better then replacing sheet metal. Additionally, they went on to say that if a DE instructor tells you to turn it off, you should refuse to...They do teach you good sound fundamentals of driving without PSM on the skid pad...they just believe it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

I'm in the same boat on the GT3 thing...not sure what I want to do and the more I look at my aero kit the more I like the look of the 996 GT3. The problem is I like the way the 997 drives much better. Personally, I think Porsche blew it on the 997 aero kit...they should have gone “old school” classic instead of new school ricer! I went with the OEM aero kit because I wanted something that was track tested…and the OEM fit and prep quality is 100% perfect…I had some drama with my after market 993 wing (fit, finish, vibration) and will go wingless before I do that again.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:14 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

VB997:
I agree 100% with all you said. i keep my PSM on I should clarify and apoligize to the above statement i made . " try turning off PSM " i really ment for one session just to feel the car after you have learned proper line of the track and you have a clear track infront of you. PSM is a good tool You paid for it it was engineered use it. Didnt mean to to miss lead anyone

sent you a PM earlier this am
Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I bought some 18" take offs from a 996 which are 8.5" and 10" wide. I put on them 245 and 280 Dunlop slicks. (not DOT tires) I need some thin spacers up front to further clear the brakes as they are huge compared to the car they came off of. I purchased the wheels from my friendly dealer for a great deal.
The tires come used from Bob Chick 843 762-7324. They are about 80% good, last about 8 track days and cost 80.00 each plus fgt of about 35.00 Bob is in South Carolina and collects tires used for time trials. He is a good guy to deal with.

You do not want to drive to the track on slicks. I have a trailer and designed and built a hitch. If you change wheels at home, then get the DOT tires from Bob. The difference between the two is about 3 sec on Sebring which for me is just under 2:40.

Tires are the best single thing you can do to improve your time and I have found it is much less expensive than street tires.

Quick Reply: Who's tracked their 997