Sponsored by:

Will the new 997 c4S help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 PM
M4Miami
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the new 997 c4S help?

I love the new 997 and have been lurking here for awhile absorbing the great discussion and pictures here. Great stuff.

I currently own an 02 M3 and it is paid off which is a beautiful thing....but using it in Miami is one thing...dealing with slick and snowy roads can be completely different. I might be relocating to Philly...Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Wondering for those of you who owned a 996 c4 and live in the northeast..do you feel there is sunstantially better control in snowy situations than a 2WD? If so it might just be the final justification I needed to get back into a car payment and into a 997.

Thx
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you driven the new 997? If you do you will not want to get back in your M3. I know, I just dumped my 2004 M3, once I drove the 997, the M3 seemed slow and crude. If you want a C4s you better go put your name on a list because the lists will most likely fill up fast. Porsche, there is no substitute.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:14 AM
M4Miami
4th Gear

Yes I went for a drive here in Miami and I loved it. I also love not having a car payment.

I think the benfit of AWD appeals to me and I like the additional safety comfort zone if I have to deal with the snow if I move to Philly.

I read some threads on the 996 Forum and it seemed some folks talked about the snow but did not see anyone saything they felt it made a substantial difference. Seemed like some folks simply changed to snow tires...I guess I'll keep watching the threads.

BTW Now that you mentioned it I am going to go put a deposit down to get on the list for the 997 C4S Cab.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I'm in philly and used the 996 c2 with winter tires for 4 years as a daily driver. it was a tank.
keep in mind that at worst case there are only 7 days, tops, when you will actually be driving in snow. hard to justify the 4 wheel model. if you will be using as a daily driver you will need winter tires anyway, as the standard tires are not pretty in cold weather.My plan with my 997s is to use it weather permitting, as I have a Cooper-S as my alternative
my advice, get the c2.
perry
Old 07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 223 Posts

I asked LOTS of questions here in the forums about the suitability as a daily driver. I think most people who live in the North agreed that the 4/4S can definitely be used year round but that getting a set of snow tires is the way to go.
I presently drive an Audi TT - AWD, obviously not as fast (or as fun) as the 997s, but is about as low to the ground. I have driven the car year round in Boston and New York w/o snow tires and only got stuck once (for about 5 minutes) when it snowed about 1.5 feet in a matter of hours.
I think cars like the 4/4S and TTs (Audi and Porsche) are wonderful for those of us that need a daily driver where it gets slick. Just remember that the cars are LOW - so those little ice boulders that form which go under SUVs will end up on the cow-catcher air dam.
I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:35 PM
M4Miami
4th Gear

Perry thanks for the reply. What dealership would you suggest I contact in Philly. While I do not know where I might be living my office is at Independence Mall and would probably look at the closest/best dealerships to there.
I would probably still dig the 4S model even with snow tires since the car will be my daily driver. Wifey gets the SUV. What kind of tires did you put on your 996 and how much??

Coochas - thanks for the reply as well. I hear ya on the road hazards. I already baby the M3...the P car will get the same treatment. Bet you can't wait.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:23 PM
STLRFN
Track Day

I'm from philly and you don't have to worry cause unless your a very early riser the streets are allways plowed or treated. I can attest to the uselessness of a c4s without snow tires. Last year I drove out to the detroit auto show. I carefully checked the weather before I left. (had the option of taking my ram 3500) On the way back of course I put the hammer down, but about 90 minutes into my fun run I ran into some lake effect snow. It seems that every MFR that I passed doin a hundred returned the favor by buzzin my car like it was the tower in Top Gun. Although the snow was not deep It was slippery. I didn't want to pull over for fear I would get snowed in. I spun the car three times the third time I did about a 560 and ended up stalled across two lanes. I then looked up to see a tractor trailer coming ( Apparently in Ohio an inch of snow on the interstate only slows traffic to 65-75 mph) It was obvious that broadsiding me was a better option than either slowing down or hittin the brakes and jacknifing his trailer. It was then I realiized how really long it takes a porsche to fire up. I did however get it started and was Barely and I do mean barely able to pull the car back (think tied up blonde on the train tracks) as the truck rushed past. I finally got to the rest stop knees shakin like I had just won the Miss America pageant. pissed like a child and thanked God. In closin I love my c4s but think rain not snow. That's where It"s really useful. Don't make a car purchase based on an average of 7 days of snow out of 365. Only people like me who plow snow really need it. Take it from me and get some snow tires.........That was therapy thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Without snow tires, it's a hassle, with snows the C4S is a beast!

Quick Reply: Will the new 997 c4S help?