Sponsored by:

Street Racing - Need shifting advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Mcoupe
On the track, how would both cars do against each other?
Welcome to rennlist. These cars race against one another in Grand-Am . The rules are adjusted slightly to equalize performance the best they can, usually with weight. The 997 and M3 are a close match in Grand-Am Cup, with perhaps a slight edge to the M3 with the current rules. I suspect a bone stock 997S would have a slight advantage on a totally stock M3. At the amatuer level, much of track performance is limited by the driver's ability. Do you track yours ? If not, I highly recommend it as it will open your eyes to what performance driving is all about and just how capable these cars actually are. You will also meet some great people who love driving fast in a safe environment.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:06 PM
02Mcoupe
4th Gear

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Welcome to rennlist. These cars race against one another in Grand-Am . The rules are adjusted slightly to equalize performance the best they can, usually with weight. The 997 and M3 are a close match in Grand-Am Cup, with perhaps a slight edge to the M3 with the current rules. I suspect a bone stock 997S would have a slight advantage on a totally stock M3. At the amatuer level, much of track performance is limited by the driver's ability. Do you track yours ? If not, I highly recommend it as it will open your eyes to what performance driving is all about and just how capable these cars actually are. You will also meet some great people who love driving fast in a safe environment.
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the great information. I am shopping around for a 997s and with existing demand, it is exceedingly difficult to find one on the lot to test drive. I currently have an 02 M Coupe and a couple M3's. I am dying to find out how the 997 drives in comparison to them.

Tracking my car? - not yet, but I look forward to that in the near future.

Anyone here in the Woodlands/Houston area?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:19 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could I have your father's email address? I want to send him this thread so he knows what is planned for his car.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

o2m coupe welcome. i have had a 00 S52 motor'd m coupe and now a 98 m coupe dedicated for track. rear engined porsches has a totally different feel than bimmers in general. at first you will find "lack of confidence" as the car feels "floating and twitchy" when pushed compared to bimmers. but once you figure out how to drive the thing, it is very satisfying. the road to figure out how to drive a rear engined porsche is at least half the fun ;-)
Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Wrong forum to ask this question on, half of these guys break their hips trying to squirm their jiggling old bodies into their porsche for a trip to the pharmacy and back.
Hey troll, the other half is waiting for you to tell them that face to face instead of hiding behind a keyboard ,when you grow some facial hair. I'm one of them.

This thread is plain stupid and should close down. When these little kids realize how damb street racing is, unfortunately they might not be around here or worse they might have taken some innocent family with them. It is inconceivable for me to think that someone that has actually been on a track would prefer that adrenalin rush over a stupid traffic light "race". You wanna race? Go to a race school to learn, then race and be with guys inches apart at 100+ mph at the blind turn 1 at Sebring. Then come talk to me which one is a real race and which one is the greater rush.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:13 PM
AW
Pro

> Its like the stepford wives in here.

LOL. Good one. Seriously, once you run or race on a track, you realize how ridiculous speeding or 'racing' in the street on a straight line really is. It is not only illegal, but also dangerous to others and meaningless.

AW
Old 07-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

02Mcoupe - if you wish to test a 997S in track conditions sign up for the Master's at the Porsche Driving Experience...am assuming you've sufficient track experience to allow them to wave the base course.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
> Its like the stepford wives in here.

LOL. Good one. Seriously, once you run or race on a track, you realize how ridiculous speeding or 'racing' in the street on a straight line really is. It is not only illegal, but also dangerous to others and meaningless.

AW

I was withholding my opinion of the true point of the thread. No reason to post non-technical stuff - especially when its not my neighborhood (928 forum is)... Its just that it was said so many times and with such a.... mocking derision and a patronizing attitude.

Its like the guy or gal that is amongst a group and feels he must say something 2 or 3 notches volume-wise up from the rest so that the others must hear. Down from now.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Wasatch GT3
Track Day

Street racing is obviously a bit silly in these cars. But when they guy has to ask how do down shift in order to do it....that discusts me.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:27 AM
m21sniper
Banned

"Hey IDIOT, WE DO USE THEM FOR PERFORMANCE! They were built for the track."

Your street legal Porsche passenger vehicle was NOT built for the track. It was built to haul *** on the autobahn....which is a public highway, and to tear up winding European country roads...which are also public highways.

And like was stated earlier, there's probably not a single poster on this entire thread that has not eclipsed triple digits on a public highway numerous times in their life.

'Do as i say, not as i do' is an awful elitist tact to take.

I know i've certainly had numerous Porsche owners of all sorts exhibit a clear desire to street race me....and a lot of them were 911s. As long as the conditions permit it with a reasonable degree of safety(like late at night or in the middle of nowhere), i'm always game.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

can you guys let this topic die already. man, the horse is dead.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

You clearly don't understand the difference between speeding and racing. The autobahn is to get from A to B as fast as is reasonably possible. Racing is trying to beat some guy in another car.

Try racing on any autobahn and you will get your car confiscated and enjoy a pleasant stretch at the goverment's pleasure. Try speeding (over 100) on most expressways in this country and you're being suicidal: bubba boy in his Ford Exploder with Big Gulp and donut talking on the cell phone and wandering from lane to lane at 60 is a recipe for disaster if you come across him will doing 100+

Why not just take it to the track and enjoy it there? Give me one good reason for NOT going to the track.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Ronnie
Instructor

this thread is so embarassing.

drive above the speed limit? YEP... who doesn't now and again?

But to ask such a basic question... smacks of rich old ****ers without much of a clue.

If you need advice on which gear to drive in, then you really shouldn't be street racing.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Everyone In a Halfway Fast Car will try to test the waters of the 911 - I generally just let them do what they will, "Yea ok, go tell your buddies that you beat a 911" But we all know the truth ! Ask yourself the biggest question of all " IS IT REALLY WORTH IT" ? ANSWER=NO!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:16 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Street racing is not only completely dumb, it's not "racing". Rolling acceleration is heavily dependent on who steps on the gas first. So it never resolves which car is quickest.
But that's not the stupid part. A $3000 Mustang can beat a Porsche if it's set up for straight line acceleration. Our cars aren't about that. If you want to know if your car is faster than an M3, check the magazines.
But that's not the stupid part. Street racing ends when one guy catches up with traffic, or a cop catches up with you. So it's not a function of the car at all.
But that's not the stupid part. Street "racing" can result in tragedy, with no possible defense.
The stupid part is that you take an absolutely collosal risk of losing your license, losing a legal suit, damaging someone else, destroying your car for absolutely no benefit. If the smallest thing goes wrong, you are an absolute idiot in everybody's eyes. All for what you could have read in a $3.00 magazine. The speed sensation is no different than if you just floor the acclelerator on a deserted road. The skill level is no greater either. The question was asked by an idiot, so there is no good answer. AS

Quick Reply: Street Racing - Need shifting advice