Sponsored by:

Sunroof delete 997...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005 | 11:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So says PCNA:
"A sunroof delete option for the 997 Coupe series will not be available for the life
span of the vehicle. Federal occupant crash regulations for sunroof versus non-
sunroof vehicles and the resultant engineering expense to meet those regulations
make this option financially non-viable, for the small number of vehicles configured."
Old 06-27-2005 | 12:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Sunroof delete is NOT available in US for the 997 model line
That's so fiucked up they don't even offer it here!

Why the F all new Porsches need to be pimped out?!!
Old 06-27-2005 | 01:11 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
So says PCNA:
"A sunroof delete option for the 997 Coupe series will not be available for the life
span of the vehicle. Federal occupant crash regulations for sunroof versus non-
sunroof vehicles and the resultant engineering expense to meet those regulations
make this option financially non-viable, for the small number of vehicles configured."

Yeah everybody knows that ELIMINATING sunroof can be much more dangerous than a car with a hole cut in the top with a sunroof panel stuck in.

You have to crash test a solid one-piece NON-sunroof monocoque to make sure it is as safe as one with a hole cut in it.

Old 06-27-2005 | 03:20 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Why?
Same reason 959 was not imported, same reason we have sh*t for lights on cars sold in the U.S. instead of ECE spec lights.

Morons at NHTSA needs justification for their jobs eventhough they appear to have their head up their rears.

I can only hope that the 997 GT2 will come with no sunroof standard when I am ready to place my order.
Old 06-27-2005 | 03:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by synergy
Just curios - why would you not want your sun roof?
For detailing purposes I prefer a smooth roof without the felt lining surrounding the lid that easily gets contaminated with polishes and waxes. For this reason alone I would opt for sunroof delete.
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:02 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
For detailing purposes I prefer a smooth roof without the felt lining surrounding the lid that easily gets contaminated with polishes and waxes. For this reason alone I would opt for sunroof delete.

use a damp toothbrush followed by a dry clean rag to get the wax out. Use this technique in all seams, not only the "felt" covered ones.
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:13 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
Morons at NHTSA needs justification for their jobs eventhough they appear to have their head up their rears.
I wish the NHTSA was even stricter in their enforcement and rule-making. The more engineering and testing that goes into a product the better off we are, there is too much crap being sold on the market as it is. Can you imagine what the big three in Detroit would have tried to sell on unsuspecting consumers all in the name of profit if they weren't forced otherwise by regulations? Looking at what the Chinese have been trying to export to the USA over the past few years will give you some idea (balsa wood brake pads, cardboard intake manifolds, white metal suspension components, etc.) If you ever have a chance, spend a couple hours reading some of the correspondence available online between the government (EPA, NHTSA) and the auto manufacturers, its a real eye-opener. They make even the sleaziest of personal injury lawyers look like Mother Theresa.

Now if we could just get rid of the smog exemption rules for older cars and up the CAFE requirements.

--sunroof'less in Massachusetts

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-27-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:30 PM
danoberer
Instructor

I don't understand what the deal is...Europeans get no sunroof, all previous 911 series could be sunroof delete. Is this Porsche's way of saving a few $? I don't buy it! Very angry. The 997 is the first 911 coupe that is nearly roomy enough for a tall guy to be comfortable...and I can't get sunroof delete!
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:34 PM
danoberer
Instructor

p.s. - so much for the 911's reputation of being a highly customizable race car for the street... I could configure a purple car with red interior and white seats and all the whistles, but can't get sunroof delete. Ok, I'm done whining.
Old 06-28-2005 | 09:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Please people don't take this personally but to me just the fact that someone asks "why would you not want your sunroof?" tells a lot about today's Porsche buyers here in states (and maybe in everywhere) and why PCNA doesn't even offer to delete it.

To me it's absolutely wrong, utterly useless "bling bling" item in a sportscar.
I know it's nice to have and drive it open in a nice weather for a lot of people and everyone can order it if they want it but for someone like me who wants their sportscar without gimmics and as light (=sporty) as possible, not even offering to delete it (fact that it's "delete option" rather than "option" IMO is wrong in a sportscar) is just wrong and short sighted.
Old 06-28-2005 | 10:46 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
It's a GT, right? Got nav, AC, stereo, etc., from that persepctive (which is Porsches philosophy for the 911) sunroof is "normal" for a GT coupe. I dunno... .
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:46 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD
It's a GT, right? Got nav, AC, stereo, etc., from that persepctive (which is Porsches philosophy for the 911) sunroof is "normal" for a GT coupe. I dunno... .
I know I know, it's obvious 911 is slipping more and more towards GT, away from sportscar but please Porsche, why force all these "essential GT items" to Porsche customers?

I'm (secretly) thinking Porsche is planning Cayman to take 911's "role" as a sportscar and give 911 totally a GT role... Don't tell anyone though...
Old 06-28-2005 | 05:58 PM
MMD
Banned

I know I know, it's obvious 911 is slipping more and more towards GT, away from sportscar but please Porsche, why force all these "essential GT items" to Porsche customers?

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder FF, when I saw the Nav unit in the new 997 and found out it was NOT optional I nearly flipped. right, I get what youre saying!!!
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:41 PM
cmoss

Please people don't take this personally but to me just the fact that someone asks "why would you not want your sunroof?" tells a lot about today's Porsche buyers here in states (and maybe in everywhere) and why PCNA doesn't even offer to delete it.

I know it's nice to have and drive it open in a nice weather for a lot of people and everyone can order it if they want it but for someone like me who wants their sportscar without gimmics and as light (=sporty) as possible, not even offering to delete it (fact that it's "delete option" rather than "option" IMO is wrong in a sportscar) is just wrong and short sighted.
Seems like it'd be easier to buy a used cup car and make it street legal...
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:42 PM
cmoss

Originally Posted by MMD
when I saw the Nav unit in the new 997 and found out it was NOT optional I nearly flipped. right, I get what youre saying!!!
aaauuuugggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I had hopes of someday maybe trading the 993 in for a 997. Not now. I think I's only older Porsches for me.

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete 997...