Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto about LAX. And an informative thread on the 996 board may be of interest here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=rubber+plate
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
You got THAT right! I got a ticket for not having a front plate at LAX a few months back. So far, I think I've gotten about 5 tickets for not having the front plate on. The last two I received from some parking enforcement jerk. Can you believe it? The car was PARKED!! Apparently, a parked car needs a front plate as well....

So I bought one of those temporary rubber plate-hangers that dealers use and I put the front plate on with it when my car is going to be parked for a while.
About a year ago, Los Angeles parking enforcement in Los Angeles has been instructed to start writing tickets for missing front plate. They never use to worry about it. I really like your idea with the temporary rubber plate hanger!

Michael
Old 06-20-2005, 04:12 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

I'm waiting for my plates for my 997 - don't want to damage my front bumper either. I live in SF Bay area. Are these moving violations? Or do you pay the fine - and just get another? And so on.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by djantlive
I don't think CHP is cracking down on nice cars as much. If get pulled over, you can usually talk your way out and put it on after than. It's better not to ruin the front bumper.
i got a fix it ticket (no front plate) in venice beach last summer by a bicycle cop. i procrastinated and missed my drop dead date. the fine soared to past $600

just put it on.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Jiffy Rubber License Plate Holder available here.
Thanks. I've been looking for one of those vinyl holders.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:55 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Thanks. I've been looking for one of those vinyl holders.
I've been studying the options on the fascia and I have decided to use the threaded "TOW RING" insert set off to the passenger side of the nose instead of drilling into the fascia. The plan is to attach the Porsche supplied plastic bracket to a headless bolt of the same thread, spin in it, snug it down and the mount the plate onto the bracket as usual.

This should be inventive fun. First stop, Napa Auto Parts to determine what bizarre metric thread this "TOW HOOK" is so that I can buy a bolt to cut.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:39 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Connecticut also has a front plate. At the risk of ruining my luck, I can tell you that I have not had a front plate (or a ticket) on my last 3 cars (9 years), an 840BMW, XKR Jag, and the 911. With all cars, the front had not been drilled by the dealer and I kept the plate and housing in my trunk.....thinking that if stopped I can blame the dealer..."..no holes, I'll get it fixed,etc". I think that the only way I'll get a ticket for this is if I am stopped for something else and the police want to be tough.

Having said this, I'll probably get a ticket the next time out!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
DD694
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
I've been studying the options on the fascia and I have decided to use the threaded "TOW RING" insert set off to the passenger side of the nose instead of drilling into the fascia. The plan is to attach the Porsche supplied plastic bracket to a headless bolt of the same thread, spin in it, snug it down and the mount the plate onto the bracket as usual.

This should be inventive fun. First stop, Napa Auto Parts to determine what bizarre metric thread this "TOW HOOK" is so that I can buy a bolt to cut.
This sounds like a good approach. Let is know what you determine on the tow hook thread size. Get a stainless steel bolt, if possible.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by fahren affair
i got a fix it ticket (no front plate) in venice beach last summer by a bicycle cop. i procrastinated and missed my drop dead date. the fine soared to past $600
just put it on.

I agree 100 percent; slap the frickin plate on and forget it. . I think it's a case of stare at it until it drive you crazy. I don't even see the plates on my cars anymore.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 PM
stigt
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonquiljo
I'm waiting for my plates for my 997 - don't want to damage my front bumper either. I live in SF Bay area. Are these moving violations? Or do you pay the fine - and just get another? And so on.
I'm also in the Bay Area and on my last car I had it without front plate for 6 yrs before getting pulled over for speeding. The office said he'd give me a warning for the speeding, but had to give me a fix-it ticket for the front plate. Now with the 911 I'll probably also wait till I get another fix-it ticket before desecrating the bumper with the drill.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DD694
This sounds like a good approach. Let is know what you determine on the tow hook thread size. Get a stainless steel bolt, if possible.
Yeah, it did plan out well. After way too much in the "bizarre threads" section of Napa Auto Parts I have rolled a 7 comin' out. No point, lines off. New shooter.

The friggin' thread size turns out to be some European transport standard "high strength, low friction" M20 x 3.0. The good news is that we need a stud, of yet to be determined length, M20 x 3.0 on one end and a nice, tight friction thread like M8 x 1.0 on the other. The bad news is it would be custom flippin' made... like catching squeezed ice cream from 10 stories up, this is not going to be easy.

I'm still not giving up on that "TOW HOOK" hole in the fascia. I'm thinking of a plastic "molly bolt" at this time... but I'm also doing Vodka shots with beer chasers so... ah, back at it tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 PM
DD694
Instructor

I admire your problem solving technique!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:17 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Yeah, it did plan out well. After way too much in the "bizarre threads" section of Napa Auto Parts I have rolled a 7 comin' out. No point, lines off. New shooter.

but I'm also doing Vodka shots with beer chasers so... ah, back at it tomorrow.

Maybe just buy an extra tow ring from a 996 junk yard and cut it; then have your bracket welded to it.

I see two possible problems coming up. One is to keep plate from backing out, perhaps offset it so it overhangs the center of gravity to tighten itself.

Second: the tow hole trim cap isn't THAT durable, so repeated putting it in and pulling it out will deform it and perhaps wear out and marr the cap and the bumper area in proximity to it.

Quick Reply: front plates