Sponsored by:

front plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Leonard Bernard
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front plates

Here in California must have front plates. Citations beeing issued. How do I install? Have the holder. Must I drill into front bumper?Dealer states must drill.
Thanks for any help
Old 06-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Red Blur
Intermediate

I'm afraid so...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ht=front+plate
Old 06-19-2005, 12:54 PM
MMD
Banned

STOP!!! What you do is fashion a little bracket of your own. Build it so you have to drill UP (vertically) into the bumper from underneath the cowling opening. You can add some bracing by drilling into the black plastic where it will never show.

IOW, there are a few ways to successfully fabricate a plate bracket which mounts securely WITHOUT drilling horizontally into the PAINT of the car's bumper.

Use your brain. Sorry I don't have any pics or drawings.

I do this on all my cars. No visible holes... ! Why? Because it's nice for the next owner... . Hummm..., next owner, huh? Humm, who cares!? Just drill the GD holes "normally:" it's fast and easy.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:46 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
STOP!!! What you do is fashion a little bracket of your own. Build it so you have to drill UP (vertically) into the bumper from underneath the cowling opening. You can add some bracing by drilling into the black plastic where it will never show.

IOW, there are a few ways to successfully fabricate a plate bracket which mounts securely WITHOUT drilling horizontally into the PAINT of the car's bumper.

Use your brain. Sorry I don't have any pics or drawings.

I do this on all my cars. No visible holes... ! Why? Because it's nice for the next owner... . Hummm..., next owner, huh? Humm, who cares!? Just drill the GD holes "normally:" it's fast and easy.
This issue is coming for me as well. There must be creative options yet unexplored. For example, a "stick on" tag... like a nicely shaped and applied bumper sticker. Or, just a stout "stick on" like the 3M invisible bra with your tag number in big, black characters on the invisible background.

In the meantime, it is a surprise that the guys at BumperPlugs.com don't fabricate an optional bracket out of thin gauge steel and rubber and sell it for a nice margin. Hey Eric, how about a better bracket that drills from underneath?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think CHP is cracking down on nice cars as much. If get pulled over, you can usually talk your way out and put it on after than. It's better not to ruin the front bumper.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM
MMD
Banned

Here's a clue, might help.

Go to auto store and buy a mounting bracket for lic plate.

Go to hardware store get thin guage aluminum stock in the form of those adjustible shelf brackets (the ones that look good on their specialized track).

Get a good pair of tin snips and your electric drill.

Get pop rivits or a few small machine screws with nuts and washers.

Get self tapping screws for plastic.

With cardboard strips for braces and tape(or better: a glue gun) model how you want to attach the braces for mounting bracket for the plate.

Cut the aluminum shelf brackets into the approriate strips lengths and sizes.

Drill mount holes and screw (of better rivet) braces to bracket.

Screw your bracket assembly to the bumper using only two vertical holes in paint and two horizontal holes in black plastic (if the latter are needed).

YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 06-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Michael1
Advanced

Originally Posted by djantlive
I don't think CHP is cracking down on nice cars as much. If get pulled over, you can usually talk your way out and put it on after than. It's better not to ruin the front bumper.
I don’t think the problem is with the CHP. It is with the local jurisdictions. It has to do with their red light cameras. It’s all about money, folks!

I got a front plate ticket in Los Angeles, and the cop even admitted it was about the red light cameras. LA's courts are so screwed up, they changed my ticket number without telling me, and then forced me into court. It cost me $70, because of their screwup. I spoke to a CHP officer, when I was getting my front license plate violation signed off, and he said he doesn’t ticket for front plates, unless he needs a reason to pull someone over he suspects of driving drunk.

Also don’t even think about going to Los Angeles International Airport without a front plate. They are ticketing for anything and everything there, and the fines are high. An expired registration is over $150, where everywhere else it would just be a fit-it ticket. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend driving into LAX at all. It is nothing but a ticket machine.

Michael
Old 06-19-2005, 02:48 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don’t think the problem is with the CHP. It is with the local jurisdictions. It has to do with their red light cameras. It’s all about money, folks!

I got a front plate ticket in Los Angeles, and the cop even admitted it was about the red light cameras. LA's courts are so screwed up, they changed my ticket number without telling me, and then forced me into court. It cost me $70, because of their screwup. I spoke to a CHP officer, when I was getting my front license plate violation signed off, and he said he doesn’t ticket for front plates, unless he needs a reason to pull someone over he suspects of driving drunk.

Also don’t even think about going to Los Angeles International Airport without a front plate. They are ticketing for anything and everything there, and the fines are high. An expired registration is over $150, where everywhere else it would just be a fit-it ticket. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend driving into LAX at all. It is nothing but a ticket machine.

Michael
You're right about the LAX thing. No tickies here for front plate and it's been almost a year now. Knock on wood.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Also don’t even think about going to Los Angeles International Airport without a front plate. They are ticketing for anything and everything there, and the fines are high.
You got THAT right! I got a ticket for not having a front plate at LAX a few months back. So far, I think I've gotten about 5 tickets for not having the front plate on. The last two I received from some parking enforcement jerk. Can you believe it? The car was PARKED!! Apparently, a parked car needs a front plate as well....

So I bought one of those temporary rubber plate-hangers that dealers use and I put the front plate on with it when my car is going to be parked for a while.

I asked a cop about using a 'sticker' that was the same size and colors as the real plate (even reflective) but he said they wouldn't go for it. Makes no sense to me....
Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 PM
MMD
Banned

Also don’t even think about going to Los Angeles International Airport without a front plate. They are ticketing for anything and everything there, and the fines are high. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend driving into LAX at all. It is nothing but a ticket machine.

Michael
Hey great! Increased police presence!

Might as well fight terrorism AND terrorize the driving public at the same time.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been driving without front plate for 40 years in SF Bay Area California (last 25 in P-cars). Have been ticketed twice, both times in my pick-ups. But ... the airport parking lots add a new dimension. And ... DMV Vehicle Code:

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:26 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
So I bought one of those temporary rubber plate-hangers that dealers use and I put the front plate on with it when my car is going to be parked for a while.
Where'd you get that, I've been looking for one?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

Don't know about CA but in MA the problem that I had was when I went to have my car inspected - they MADE ME put the plate on before they would do anything.
Never got ticketed for it (moving or parked).
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Where'd you get that, I've been looking for one?
Jiffy Rubber License Plate Holder available here.

Quick Reply: front plates