Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Handling Surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really explain the way the track goes... I think I'll try sketching a map of it (not to scale) enough so you can see where the push is happening. When you say find someone to check the alignment, are you talking about checking stock alignment or something else?

No, my tires don't seem to roll .. I have plenty of air pressure, which may contribute to the push.

I'll be back with a "drawing". But you all have to promise not to laugh at my artwork.

Buzz
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cold tires....Repeat....Cold tires.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if you have stock alignment, i am sure it will push. the factory did in on purpose to "save" the drivers. for those who track, most likely you need a LOT more camber. i don't know if 997 has adj sway bars. but on the stock gt3 alignment, my pushed badly.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:53 PM
PV
Pro

Try it again if you have over 3000 miles on the clock. You will have much better appreciation for the capabilities. The P-car is not doing it for you, you have to be on top of it all the time, in particular if you like to run it at the limit.

Be careful!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:52 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

You should squeeze the gas and you should squeeze the brake. That is to keep the weight transfer lower and not sudden. As you become a better driver you will squeeze faster and smoother. Picture the car full of water and you do not want to spill any. There has never been a good driver who was not smooth! In an autocross it looks slow but it is real fast and that is where to notice smooth.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

the car is fantastic on the track. period. i cant say if it surpasses the 996 because i never drove the 996 on the track. realignment after springs installed was a big help with the pushing. i would not recomend the Porsche sport pads. they were gone in one weekend expensive mistake
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
You should squeeze the gas and you should squeeze the brake. That is to keep the weight transfer lower and not sudden. As you become a better driver you will squeeze faster and smoother. Picture the car full of water and you do not want to spill any. There has never been a good driver who was not smooth! In an autocross it looks slow but it is real fast and that is where to notice smooth.
I appreciate your advice and that of others, but I have driven autocross and regular track events for years. I get all of what you are saying about "balancing" the car and "weight transfer". None of this is news to me.... what I am after is a correction to the pushing problem that does not exist in any other car I've driven on a track. (did that sound arrogant? Wasn't meant to.) Bottom line is, I am an experienced driver.....but the Porsche is a totally new animal to me. (and I do mean animal!) If I've done this right, you should see a horrible drawing of the track I am testing on, but it might suffice to illustrate why I'm having the problem....

From the start finish line I drift all the way to the right edge of the track to set up for turn 1. I get through that turn with no problem because I am braking and downshifting. (weight on front tires). Coming out of 1 I start rolling into the throttle, and as you can see there is a compound problem ahead. The track continues to sweep left, but you have to turn even harder left to get to the correct side of the track to set up turn 3 to the right. The entire time I am in the sweeper I need to be accellerating hard. In my other cars I can drift through the sweeper ....but I don't think anyone is going to drift a 911 S through anything. You can't break the back tires loose to throttle steer. So, the more I roll into the throttle the harder the car pushes until I have to lift at least twice to get the front end down. Mind you, I am not "horsing" the car with the throttle, but as I said earlier, I should be able to go through that section faster than in my stock TT Stealth. I think I'm just having trouble getting used to the horsepower and having all the weight in the rear. Since I'm really using the Porsche more for the street, I don't want to change stock alignment settings too much for fear of premature tire wear.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at the map, the rookie in me would take 2 as a double apex hitting the first red dot then drifting out to the 2 and re-apexing at the second dot setting up for 3
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
WULF
Instructor

I think your car needs to be set up/aligned properly. It's entirely possible that your wheels aren't pointing in the right direction. There is nothing in that corner that should cause a 997s any problems. You should also be able to drift the car or the back end if your good enough ( and PSM off). Whether it's necessary for better times or is just fun to do is another question.

Quick Reply: Track Handling Surprise!