Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got the dreaded key out of ignition/car still on syndrome...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I got the dreaded key out of ignition/car still on syndrome...

I guess my car isn't special, has the same problems as other 997s. This happened today, parked car, and turned key to center position to turn car off, but left ''accessory" switch on while I unbuckled, then pulled key out and the car was still on! So put key back in and turned to left to shut car off completely.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So did you mean to say that when you turned the key to the center "OFF" position the engine did not cut off but kept on running? And when you pulled the key out, the engine was still running?

Yikes....that's not good.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Engine not running but everything else was on. A/C, dash lights, radio.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to have the dealer figure that one out...........
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Oh, okay....I guess if it had been what I was fearing, it would have been a MAJOR malfunction, something that would have triggered a mandatory recall, right then and now. Still, it's serious enough in that it's disconcerting to see something like that in a Porsche. In a Chevy or Ford, yeah, you might not be surprised to find a doozy like that, but in a PORSCHE???

I sure as heck hope they have a quick fix for that. Texas, please let us know how the dealer addresses this, okay? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
PV
Pro

I'm still stunned with what your tried to share with us. I don't belief it yet. So, you turned the key to the left, the motor is off, you take the key out and all the rest stays on: blowers, airco, lights, radio, etc?? If that is the case, I would be at my dealer the next morning if not the same day.

I tried to take my key while the motor was running. No way. I have to turn the key all the way left, bring it back to the middel and take it out. Everything execept the ceiling light switches off.

Keep us posted, please.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
texas911
Race Car

Its been referenced a few times on rennteam. Can I post that? I'm not taking it in until it happens again. Hopefully its just a computer glitch and it reset when I turned the car off.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:43 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Oh, okay....I guess if it had been what I was fearing, it would have been a MAJOR malfunction, something that would have triggered a mandatory recall, right then and now. Still, it's serious enough in that it's disconcerting to see something like that in a Porsche. In a Chevy or Ford, yeah, you might not be surprised to find a doozy like that, but in a PORSCHE???

You'd be surprised how much Delphi ( former GM ) or Visteon ( former Ford ) electronics are in German cars - so don't be so sure the ignition switch/control circuitry isn't the same ! Car " companies" today don't " maufacturer " much of anything . And most Boxsters and Caymans are screwed together by contract builder Valmet in Finland.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Sitting at a traffic light recently, I thought the car was in 1st gear....but I had left it in third when I stopped. When the light changed, I stalled the car. Upon attempting to restart, nothing happened. I had to turn the key all the way to the left, then back to far right again and then the starter engaged. It did that a couple of different times.....but it seems to have stopped now. (?)
Old 05-26-2005, 06:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
Sitting at a traffic light recently, I thought the car was in 1st gear....but I had left it in third when I stopped. When the light changed, I stalled the car. Upon attempting to restart, nothing happened. I had to turn the key all the way to the left, then back to far right again and then the starter engaged...
I believe it's designed that way so that you don't accidentally try to engage the starter while the engine is still running, as some spaced out dolts will attempt to do not realizing the engine is already on. By forcing you to turn the key fully counterclockwise this ensures that the engine is indeed off when you do attempt to engage the starter.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:14 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I just got back from a spirited run and wow!!!!! My car handles like a dream now!!!

Just an FYI........

Quick Reply: I got the dreaded key out of ignition/car still on syndrome...