Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 12:39 AM

Exclamation The following appears tobr the clutch vbration fix

Today, 11:00 PM #17
rmira

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up my car, the clutch is back to normal. The following is the report as it appeared on my service ticket:

I stated:

1. The clutch engagement point changed.
2. There is a vibration felt when the clutch pedal is slightly pushed.
3. There is a squeak heard from the engine area when the clutch is depressed.

Description of Work Done:

Pressure plate bolts loose. Removed belly pans, transmission. Replaced loose pressure plates bolts and inspected clutch. Lubed clutch pivots and reassembled.

Labor: 4.1 units
Material: qty. 6 cheese-HD. screws, part # 900-387-265-09

The work was done under warranty, but not without a scare. The service advisor called Monday AM, prior to the work being done, to let me know that the problems I was describing could be due to a worn clutch. And clutch wear is not covered under warranty. I strenously objected - there are only 3500 miles on the car, purchased May '06. Of course the problem was as described above and there was no clutch wear.

(Side Note - During my tirade I told the SA I was one of the few people on the M5 forum, m5board.com, that got 60K miles out of an E39 M5 clutch - he was shocked.)

Last edited by 500; 08-26-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2006 | 04:53 PM
Deven
Pro

As another update to this 'issue'. i was at the dealer for something else, so I asked them to check this. The service adviser told me that they took the car for a drive, and indeed they noted a 'vibration' at high RPM (>5000 RPM). They then took 2-3 other cars and noted the same thing, however they felt that the vibration was 'more' in my car. As a result the replaced the clutch to see if that was the problem. They think the vibration is less, and told me the old clutch looked OK (8500 miles). Subjectively I think there is less/almost no vibration on the onset of clutch depression, but there is still the same amount on the end of depression. Their take on this is that at high RPM it is 'normal' to feel slight vibration when the clutch is pressed.

The ultimate test will be to see if I can try other cars, and/or have other 997 owners try my car to see if this is 'normal'. So in the end, I have a new clutch and a bit less vibration.
Old 08-26-2006 | 07:27 PM

Could be a flywheel issue...
Old 08-26-2006 | 07:39 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Deven, let's meet sometime and go for rides together in each other's car. You can see my clutch creeeek and I can see about your clutch vibration at RPM's.

I plan to attend the Sept.10 drive but we could meet sooner.

Aaron
Old 08-27-2006 | 02:09 AM
Deven
Pro

I was just thinking the same thing. Weekdays are hard for me, unless we do it in the evenings, but then we won't have the daylight to admire each others cars. Tommorrow could work for me, you could come over (or vice versa, I am always looking for an excuse to drive). If not I am around next weekend.
Old 10-20-2006 | 02:57 AM

Just picked up my 07 997S and guess what with 10 miles on the odo it has a slight to moderate vibration/tingling sensation when the clutch pedal is engaged at about 4000 rpm's. I will report this to my dealer's service mgr and have a chat with the factory rep when he is in town next. Anyone have ay updates on this ?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2006 | 12:59 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

I had a similar issue with my 997. It wasn't in the clutch though. I could drive down a perfectly smooth road and the car was putting out a continuous vibration... I tried different gears, different roads, you name it and I could not figure out where it was coming from. So, I took it to the dealer and and we test drove it. He also felt the same vibration. He turned off the Boes surround system, and it quit!
All that time, it was the stereo vibrating the car!!! It doesn't take much volume for bass notes to vibratre the car, even if it isn't turned up loud.

As for the clutch vibrations.... mine doesn't vibrate.... but once in a while it develops a creaking noise when the clutch is depressed. Then, it goes away. Any ideas on this one?
Old 10-24-2006 | 01:57 PM
cgng30
Instructor

I have a 05 997 with 4500 miles and I do notice some vibration as I depress the clutch at 3-4 k rpm
Old 10-24-2006 | 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cgng30
I have a 05 997 with 4500 miles and I do notice some vibration as I depress the clutch at 3-4 k rpm
That's right in the area I get it too; since I 'm still in break-in and can't go over 4200 does it go away in the higher rpm?
Was the vibration there from new?
Old 10-26-2006 | 12:26 AM
cgng30
Instructor

I am pretty sure it was from new, I just never paid attention untill i read this thread. I dont know if every body hears this but when I perform faster shift I hear some kind of noise from the rear almost like swishhh, seems like coming from the trany/clutch

Quick Reply: Clutch vibrations?