Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 10:03 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by 500
Try this, with the car in neutral engage and disengage the clutch several times while reving the engine to say 2500-3000 rpm and see if the vibration in the pedal is more noticeable.
Just took the car out for a spin and tried this. It's really not noticable in neutral, perhaps a little. Rather it's more how Deven described it.

When moving along at speed and say 4000 revs, depress the clutch slowly and you can feel some vibration in the pedal. Get the clutch all the way to the floor, and the RPMs will obviously drop and the sensation drops away linearly.

There is no noise or vibration in the car, the catch point is fine, and the shifting is very smooth, it's just a tingle or vibration in the pedal that I didn't notice on the Boxster.

I'd be curious if a few others with 997's could try to reproduce this. I still need to get a MA inspection sticker, so when I'm at the dealer for that, I'm going to ask them about this.

Chad
Old 07-10-2006 | 10:08 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deven
It is barely noticable when shifting gears quickly under high RPM, but (for example) when 'coasting' to a red light/stop sign/turn, if the engine brake is not going to slow me down quick enough, I press the clutch and then apply the brake, I usually don't slam on the clutch in this instance, as the motion is slower than during gear shifting, and that is when I notice the 'issue'
Just re-read your response. That's exactly the scenario I notice it under. Slow depression of the clutch from high RPMs. Once the clutch is all the way in, the RPMs drop and it goes away.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Chad
Old 07-10-2006 | 10:56 PM

It has something to do with the dual mass fly wheel arrangement that Porsche uses if my memory serves me correctly. I just remember it bothering me with the Boxster S, never had it with any of the other Porsches I've owned before or since. If I wore a thin leather soled shoe it was very noticeable as opposed to a running shoe etc...just an uncomfortable weird feeling. I'm sure Porsche has a fix; if the dealer says it's normal then why do brand new one's not do it. I also had the problem occur when the car was within its first few thousand miles, it also never affected the quality of shifting. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 500; 07-10-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2006 | 06:06 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by 500
It has something to do with the dual mass fly wheel arrangement that Porsche uses if my memory serves me correctly. I just remember it bothering me with the Boxster S, never had it with any of the other Porsches I've owned before or since. If I wore a thin leather soled shoe it was very noticeable as opposed to a running shoe etc...just an uncomfortable weird feeling. I'm sure Porsche has a fix; if the dealer says it's normal then why do brand new one's not do it. I also had the problem occur when the car was within its first few thousand miles, it also never affected the quality of shifting. Hope this helps.
It's seems that some people have reported new 997's with this symptom. I for one notice it on my 06 997 S. I sent over an email to my dealer to see if they have any information on it. Again, I'd be curious if other 997 owners could try what Deven described and see if they feel a similar result.
Old 07-11-2006 | 11:44 PM
rmira
Instructor

I did a 5-60 mile run. After the hard shift into second, I shifted to third and noticed a 'dead' spot or weakness in the clutch pedal travel - like it was easier to press where it had not been before. It was after this incident that I began experiencing a vibration near the top of the clutch pedal travel, a 'squeak' and the clutch engaging sooner. It presented no problem shifting.
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:09 AM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmira
I began experiencing a vibration near the top of the clutch pedal travel, a 'squeak' and the clutch engaging sooner. It presented no problem shifting.
Yup, that's where it's most noticable is at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Interesting, I guess this is just normal on 997's.

If here anything from my dealer I'll update.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:16 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

It is NOT normal to have a clutch pedal vibrate no matter how many experts say it is. You have something out of balance, warped, misallighned or loose in the clutch assembly. Insist that the do what the have to to fix it. Don't be one of these guys that accept things like burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles as normal.
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:56 AM
cr2000
Advanced

Just an update on this. I spoke to a dealer near me and explained the symptom. They suggested that with just 200 miles on the car, I give it a little time to break-in. If at 1000 miles I still notice any tingling in the pedal, they want me to bring the car in for them to look at.

I also asked the salesman at the dealership that sold me the car (Fairfield Porsche) to drive a new Cab on their lot and try to reproduce. He reported back that he noticed a tingling/vibration under his left foot with depression of the clutch around 4500rpm.

So at this point I'm beginning to think it's just something with the 997 that happens in the first few hunderd miles. Many folks may not even notice it before things settle out.

At this point I'm not about to have my brand new 997S ripped apart, for what may not be an issue. If come a 1000 miles I still notice it, I will definitely have it looked at.
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:59 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cr2000
Just an update on this. I spoke to a dealer near me and explained the symptom. They suggested that with just 200 miles on the car, I give it a little time to break-in. If at 1000 miles I still notice any tingling in the pedal, they want me to bring the car in for them to look at.

I also asked the salesman at the dealership that sold me the car (Fairfield Porsche) to drive a new Cab on their lot and try to reproduce. He reported back that he noticed a tingling/vibration under his left foot with depression of the clutch around 4500rpm.

So at this point I'm beginning to think it's just something with the 997 that happens in the first few hunderd miles. Many folks may not even notice it before things settle out.

At this point I'm not about to have my brand new 997S ripped apart, for what may not be an issue. If come a 1000 miles I still notice it, I will definitely have it looked at.
Suggest that you get your dealer's comments in writing so if it does not go away, they do not blame you for wearing out the clutch or abusing the car.
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:05 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Ditto.... and I think I would insist on having them take a look at it now. Mine has never done that. If it keeps doing it for another 1000 miles, there's no telling what kind of damage could be done. Get that in writing and have it notarized.
Old 07-13-2006 | 05:53 PM

They suggested that with just 200 miles on the car, I give it a little time to break-in. If at 1000 miles I still notice any tingling in the pedal, they want me to bring the car in for them to look at.

I can't begin to tell you how many dealers have used that line hoping in time you'll just get used to or forget about the issue. I would personally go try 2-3 other new 997's on the dealer's lot for yourself. I can't believe Porsche is still having this problem, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, a 2001 I used to own had this issue develop with low miles too; it's very annoying.
Old 07-13-2006 | 09:40 PM
cr2000
Advanced

I hear what you guys are saying. And if I still notice it at 1000 miles, I will most certianly have the dealer look into it. I also have it in writing (via email) so if I have a problem I'll certianly refer to that.

I spent a fair amount of time driving the car tonight and I'm beginning to wonder if I've overstated what I've noticed. I think the best suggestion is to go drive another 997 or two. If I notice the same thing, then it's the driver and not the car. There's no doubt that the shifting feels much different on the 997 than the Boxster, that is, it has a more positive and crisp feel on the 997. Perhaps the clutch feel is different as well...
Old 07-25-2006 | 11:56 AM
cr2000
Advanced

Just an update on this. I brought my car over to Inskip Porsche this morning and spent about a half hour with their head tech, Pat. I told him what I noticed (slight pedal tingling) and then we went for a ride. He was able to notice the same thing, and commented that he had not noticed this before on 997's. However he didn't feel as though it was a problem but wanted to confirm.

So we went back to the dealership and grabbed the keys to a brand new 997 and went for another ride. Again he noticed what I had pointed out. He stopped the car and had me get in the drivers seat and sure enough it feels identical to my 997. So at this point I don't believe there is an issue, rather I'm simply more sensitive to a clutch that feels different than my previous Boxster, or Honda S2000 before that.

Apparently Pat has been working on Porsche's since '85, and British cars before that. Geniunely a nice guy, and certianly seemed to know what he was talking about so I was more than satisfied after having him look at it.

So my advice to anyone else with a sensitive foot like me, is to get in the car and just drive.
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Just an update on this. I brought my car over to Inskip Porsche this morning and spent about a half hour with their head tech, Pat. I told him what I noticed (slight pedal tingling) and then we went for a ride. He was able to notice the same thing, and commented that he had not noticed this before on 997's. However he didn't feel as though it was a problem but wanted to confirm.

So we went back to the dealership and grabbed the keys to a brand new 997 and went for another ride. Again he noticed what I had pointed out. He stopped the car and had me get in the drivers seat and sure enough it feels identical to my 997. So at this point I don't believe there is an issue, rather I'm simply more sensitive to a clutch that feels different than my previous Boxster, or Honda S2000 before that.

Apparently Pat has been working on Porsche's since '85, and British cars before that. Geniunely a nice guy, and certianly seemed to know what he was talking about so I was more than satisfied after having him look at it.

So my advice to anyone else with a sensitive foot like me, is to get in the car and just drive.

Just because every other 997 may have this symptom does not necessarily mean it is not a problem. I would keep and eye on it and if there are any changes, document them with the Dealer.
Old 07-25-2006 | 02:40 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Just because every other 997 may have this symptom does not necessarily mean it is not a problem. I would keep and eye on it and if there are any changes, document them with the Dealer.
Absolutely. The visit was written up and Inskip has a record of it. Even the tech noted that having it looked at and written down is worthwhile just in case something were to happen. But honestly, either Porsche has a wide spread problem on every car, or some of us simply notice a subtlety in the clutch feel. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Anyway, back to driving...

Quick Reply: Clutch vibrations?