Replaced a Tire Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replaced a Tire Today

Today I was checking tire pressures and the LR was at 12#...
Pull the wheel off and there is a metal object somthing in the center...
Throw the wheel in the wagon and go over to the tire shop to get it fixed or so I thought.... turns out the metal object was 1/4" in dia and mushroomed the metal cord on the inside...
New PS2 = $450

Funny thing is that as I was leaving the track on Mon I thought I heard a funny/odd sound but paid it no mind..
At least I made the 75mi trip home without incident
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out Costco, don't laugh, a buddy with a '03 cab gets his p zeros there with road hazzard for way less than tirerack (ex 225$ for a pirelli p zero 18-40-295 N3, TR was 263). I'm going there next time I need tires.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:49 PM
david1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told, and not by tire salesmen, that when a high performance tire has a puncture that it's best not to repair the tire but replace it. Of course, this very well may mean that you'll need to replace the other tire (either the opposite front or rear tire) so the tread will match. Sorry to offer this insight but remember that old saying some smart *** had, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it."
Old 05-14-2005, 12:15 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by david1
I've been told, ...that old saying some smart *** had, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it."
I ALWAYS ask how much?? Because then I can determine how MANY of my pockets I have to dig into to pay for it!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:28 AM
MMD
Banned

I've been told, and not by tire salesmen, that when a high performance tire has a puncture that it's best not to repair the tire but replace it.
Couple of issues here.

definitely have the tire removed from the rim and inspected. If the damage is "nominal" and they can repair it, let them repair it (inside patch and plug) and just use the tire if the following makes sense to you:

Since sustained speeds of over 90 MPH are illegal and, I think even criminal in the USA, there's no need to worry about keeping the tire's speed rating. IOW, if I drove at high speeds on teh the Autobahn I would immediately scrap the tire. Since I'm doing 100mph+ for short bursts VERY infrequently and maximum 80mph fairly routinely in the USA, there's no need to scrap a tire with a simple puncture.

Does that make sense to most people here?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:44 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$450??? Jeez, didn't realize they were that much. That's $1600+ for a set with mounting and balance. Gulp. We need to get working on a better solution. Anyone have a price from Costco?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

What about the new Kumhos that are aimed at the Ps2's performance for 60% of the price??????????????????

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2005, 11:01 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Pioneer changed one of mine for 367..front though...
Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a single tire should be around $300 installed tops. you paid $450 and got ripped

costco has to order it and that takes 3-5days. but their price is good and warranty is hassle free.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djantlive
a single tire should be around $300 installed tops. you paid $450 and got ripped

costco has to order it and that takes 3-5days. but their price is good and warranty is hassle free.
Right, but I checked with tirerack and that's what they're charging for a rear without shipping.(actually $425). I'd be curious what Costco is charging?

OK, called and Costco wants $300 for the fronts and $456 for the rears.(per tire) Ouch!!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I've been told, and not by tire salesmen, that when a high performance tire has a puncture that it's best not to repair the tire but replace it. Of course, this very well may mean that you'll need to replace the other tire (either the opposite front or rear tire) so the tread will match. Sorry to offer this insight but remember that old saying some smart *** had, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it."
Repairing high performance tires is just fine. Contrary to internet rumors, they still hold their speed rating. And there is no need to replace the opposite tire on the same axle unless there is a severe wear discrepancy.

Regarding the quote, there's a difference between paying the cost of admission and simply throwing money away.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Repairing high performance tires is just fine. Contrary to internet rumors, they still hold their speed rating. And there is no need to replace the opposite tire on the same axle unless there is a severe wear discrepancy.

Regarding the quote, there's a difference between paying the cost of admission and simply throwing money away.
FWIW

Porsche specifically recommends that you not plug tires, and prohibits its' dealers from doing so. While their thinking is conservative, I'm confident that it is based upon sound engineering principles.

I think it pays to employ a "risk minimization" strategy; and it all comes down to whom do you trust!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:33 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colm
FWIW

Porsche specifically recommends that you not plug tires, and prohibits its' dealers from doing so. While their thinking is conservative, I'm confident that it is based upon sound engineering principles.

I think it pays to employ a "risk minimization" strategy; and it all comes down to whom do you trust!
Plus, you can bet they'd use that in a heart beat if there was any kind of situation that required a claim with them. "Sorry Sir, we see that your tire has a plug in it and we can't warranty your ** fill in the blank **.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Colm
FWIW

I think it's that they assume their cars will be travelling at 100+ mph Autobahn speeds and therefore they can't endorse such highspeed driving on a damaged tire.

In the USA where MILLIONS of cars are driving on patched tires , we're all going about 65-70 and there's no insurance company uproar over tire-patch-related charred remains littering the highways.

I bet there's an engineering calculation which demonstrates a tire going at 140mph is probably five times more stressed than one going half the speed at 70.

interesting... .

Quick Reply: Replaced a Tire Today