Sponsored by:

stone damage questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
jcm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stone damage questions

I took a rock to the hood. It went down to the metal. It is still a small chip, but noticeable. Of course it hit where the clear bra ends. Anyway, is there any way to repair this, or is repainting the hood the only option? Touch paint does not help much. It is like a zit on a supermodel's face.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at it this way... the more you drive the more you'll get..
It's not the last
It's the patina of driving
Drive it----Enjoy it
Old 05-02-2005, 09:11 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
Look at it this way... the more you drive the more you'll get..
It's not the last
It's the patina of driving
Drive it----Enjoy it
True. There's a product that will actually fill in the chip so that it isn't noticeable. Personally I'd just touch it up with a tooth pick and then forget it. As long as your eye doesn't notice it too much you'll just forget about it in time.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 PM
steve775
Instructor

The hood is aluminum anyway, so you really can put it off 'till later without fear of rust.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
jfraser
Instructor

JCM
Don't repaint the hood....I guarantee you that will be worse than you current chip....just think what they have to do to get it right...Match paint , spray nozzle size, & fleck size (if metallic)...spray perfectly, no runs, dust particles etc... check for no overspray or mask off lines etc, etc, etc if any of those aren't PERFECT, the result will be worse than the original chip

.....You only think of touching up as a cr@p result because you've only seen bad ones....here's an article that shows you how to do it properly.....I think you'll agree the result is exceptional......If you don't want to do it yourself find a good bodyshop to do it....They'll hate you (and suggest you respray the lid...as it's easier for them)...give them the attached method and insist it's done this way.....They're going to charge you more to do it, but the result will be A1

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=27&c=16
Old 05-02-2005, 10:29 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcm
I took a rock to the hood. It went down to the metal. It is still a small chip, but noticeable. Of course it hit where the clear bra ends. Anyway, is there any way to repair this, or is repainting the hood the only option? Touch paint does not help much. It is like a zit on a supermodel's face.
There is a way to make the touch up paint as invisible as possible... and that's to have a real pro with a rotary buffer do a light cut over the hood after the touch up paint has been applied properly and completely dried. If done properly the physical mark and the paint patch will be gone though there is often a slight pigment variation when you look closely at the spot.

But I wouldn't recommend that for just one chip because the clear coat is only SO thick.

You're in the club now... I got my first chip in the hood coming home from the dealer! Didn't have 10 miles on her. A Satanic POS Dirt Hauling Tractor Trailer did it and I swear the driver had red skin and horns... bastard evil thing.

I'll patch them all and have the paint cut around 30K miles.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
jcm
Intermediate

Anyone know someone in New Jersey area who is willing and capable?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

why dont you get paint protection on it. I just had someone in Lodi NJ do a custom job on mine. He does cars for a number of the high end dealers including Jack Daniels - I think he said that he just did a GT for them. PM if your interested.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:46 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

Hey, JCM, Carcareonline.com is based in Newjersey i think! They have good articles about carcare, one about fixing a chip with touch up paint... you may want to read it, and since they are based in NJ (i think) maybe they could do the touch up for you, i doubt it.... give them a call!

=)
Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
JCM
here's an article that shows you how to do it properly.....I think you'll agree the result is exceptionalhttp://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=27&c=16
I followed this process and was amazed at the results! I couldn't believe how easy it was to do once the steps were broken down into simple, methodical steps that lead to a professional job. I'll never let a paint shop try to touch up paint again. They're only looking for the least amount of labor for the most amount of pay. Can't say I blame them. But at least I can look after my own interest by doing it myself and doing it right.....for the least amount of money but with the most amount of satisfaction.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:58 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I followed this process and was amazed at the results! I couldn't believe how easy it was to do once the steps were broken down into simple, methodical steps that lead to a professional job. I'll never let a paint shop try to touch up paint again. They're only looking for the least amount of labor for the most amount of pay. Can't say I blame them. But at least I can look after my own interest by doing it myself and doing it right.....for the least amount of money but with the most amount of satisfaction.
That's a great article Ben, thanks for that link.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 AM
boolala
Race Car

Some guys on the Mercedes forum love this:

http://www.langka.com/
Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
That's a great article Ben, thanks for that link...
Umm...ahh....gee...what can I say...other than the credit for the link really goes to jfraser who went to the trouble of digging it up. I knew where to find it since I've consulted that article before. I only gave it my personal testimonial confirming the efficaciousness of the technique described therein.

Another great article on touching up paint chips that AndrewSS aluded to is the one written by Larry Reynolds of carcareonline.com.

Originally Posted by boolala
Some guys on the Mercedes forum love this:
http://www.langka.com/
Those lazy #@%#!!!! Anything that is advertised as being so easy even a child can do, has GOT to be the worst product out there!

Quick Reply: stone damage questions