Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV-TV for the 997 is almost here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No no, you have to go with the new trend, being 3 speed automatic in a 911 with a sofa seat. You don't know yet?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NEW Option

Recarolounger drivers seat
Old 05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I say that anyone that puts TV into there car should be forced to put one of these on their roof. Dead center of course:

Old 05-02-2005, 07:07 PM
PV
Pro

On the other hand, don't be surprised that you have satalite TV and internet in your 998 in a few years from now. What kind of issues did we all had with Bi-Xenons a few years ago? and now we have it ourselves.

The current nav system is maybe not for a 911 if you look at it from a sportscar point of view, but on the other hand the DVD operated nav system together with the 6 pack CD player is old fashioned and heavy. Put a Mac mini in you dashboard and you have on-line info via your fast digital phone, and at the same time you don't need a CD player anymore as iTunes will do it for you, and DVD's can be played as well.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, let me get this straight. You don't like the idea?

My favorite part of having it in my M5 is when people ask if its cable tv - and they are serious as a heart attack when they ask

If they are going to put a NAV monitor on my dash, well, why not watch the game when you are killing some time? I am not advocating doing 110 down the freeway while watching instant replays.

I think it is cool. And like some of you said.... once they crack MOST, it will likely have a aux input for the iPod or other A/V source.

Like a back up camera.

(kidding on that last part)
Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it appears they just found a way to highjack the screen

the audio stream is still done via FM modulation.

bah.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's nothing - wait for PPMW!

Porsche.PopCorn.Micro.Waver.

Fits in the glove box. Programmable controls in PCM. Allows one Big Gulp cupholder while watching TV. Barcaloung control module and optional extra in PCM.

And I thought I bought a sports car...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PV
No no, you have to go with the new trend, being 3 speed automatic in a 911 with a sofa seat. You don't know yet?
Deamn, totally missed that latest essential sports car "must have".

I'm embaraased because I realized I'm so "out" of these latest trands.

I mean I even think that light weight, stiff great handling suspension & loud exhaust are more cool than espresso machine and satellite TV in a sports car.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
PV
Pro

Look, from a sportcar point of view, some options are getting out of line, but to be honest I have the nav system in it, and that is maybe out of line too. I can sell to myself as being very usefull when ralley driving over long distances, and it is lighter and faster than a papermap.

We are fighting against some of the new technology's as we are not used to it. I expect in less than three years from now that the DVD based nav system is out of date, the 6 disc CD player is out of date, that you don't need an iPod too. Everything is moving towards memory sticks. Some say it will never be as cheap as a CD or DVD. Like to talk to those people again in 3 years from now. Of course all of this is off topic, but we have to face that a lot of these developments will influence the 998. This forum will always be a fight between the purist (manual seat, no PASM, no Sports Chrono, no nav, 18"wheels, manual gear box, no phone, no nothing) and the futurist (TV, nav, electric seat with airco, climate control, auto dimming windscreen, self adjusting head lights, break force dependent break lights, 20" wheels, chrono package, all leather, self dimming mirrors, internet in the HUD).

I'm somewhere in between. I was just shocked yesterday that we can watch TV in a 911 within a few weeks. Today, I'm over that shock and am waiting for the adaptive cruise control linked to my GPS and traffic control.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PV
...Today, I'm over that shock and am waiting for the adaptive cruise control linked to my GPS and traffic control.
When that day comes I'm going back to carburetors and mechanical injectors...

You know, you're doing 60 mph at 55 mph highway and suddenly you car just dies or goes back to 54 mph and in that display "friendly covernment traffic control person" says: "you've just been fined for speeding, please proceed slower and have a nice day".

Not for me.

In any case, in a sports car, I'd rather have mechanical injectors and no stereo than all the gimmics mentioned in this thread and even more so when we're all "advanced" to my horror scenario.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
PV
Pro

Prepare yourself for that day. I will ask you where you got the carburators, so that I can get them too
Sometimes I'm in for new things, a long as it will improve the performance (not necessarily the power).

Quick Reply: NAV-TV for the 997 is almost here!!!!