Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 vs suzuki gsxr 1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, call me practical. But isn't stats and figures on a page enough to decide which is the faster machine?

Why you all gotta do something silly like race on the freeway? I'm sure Jame "Jimmy" Dean wish he had gone slower in his car...Might have extended his life a few decades.

What if the motor bike crashed, and died. Would you want that type of involvement/event hanging over your head? Worse, what if bits of pieces from the crash scratched your car? Okay, that's not really worse. but you get my drift.

What would be worse is your poor wife visiting you at the cemetary. Glad you two both made it without any problems.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
997S4KEN
AutoX

Why is speed such a sensitive issue. I dont really give a crap what bike or car can accelerate, corner, or better my driving skill. Its inconsequential, really when you picked up your 997 was one of the things you looked forward to going head to head with everyone on the road. This is like little childrens games, mine is better, no mine is better. At the end of the day I just want to make it home safely to my family. I understand, though, the guise of the stupid driver, the idiot little boy who has to prove his worth to the world. I see them day in and day out. Soooooo the bike can beat a Porsche big f****** deal. I can cook a rib-eye steak better than all you mo - fo's, you got a problem with that, step up to me with your best smoked grill and seasonings and by all of God's means I will show you the meaning of well done!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:31 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

... No one is saying o mine is faster....... people need to calm down. And no paper means nothing. But this wasnt about a set up race. The guy was just posting what happened to him one night. If you buy a Porsche to just cruise at speed limit and never let her breathe your buying it for all the wrong reasons.
I agree with taking it to the track for racing, but whats wrong with spirited driving wether your alone or going with/against somebody. As long as the drivers are not being stupid or clearly endaging people then let em be. If your going to bitch and complain about it, then please just go back to making your "amazing" rib eye steak and leave the drivers alone.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:31 PM
GT3BB
Racer

The only thing wrong with it is if the cycle were to take a dump at those speeds, the long arm of the law would find you and lay some serious Felony charges against you. Not to mention the trama of never getting the vision of a body bouncing down the road at 145 mph out of your head over something that you contributed to.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had started at 20 mph he would have been 100's of yards ahead of you by the time you got to 120 mph.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

I ride both I can ASSURE you he was just playin' with you or did not try or didn't finish the brake-in or simply doesn't know how to ride it which is often the case. There is no contest between the two! he doens't even have to be on the right gear in order to drop a 997 for heavens sake... anybody that beats on a straighline roll on race a current 1000cc inline-4 and thinks it was becasue the car was faster he has just been fooled!

And there is no wall compared to a 997 at 140mph in a GSX-R1000, I reach routinely 150mph at the end of the short straight of my track with my GSX-R1000 before I have to slam on the brake and drop three gears to make the turn, and it still pulls much much harder before I hit the brakes at 150mph than my 996.

Its true that as they approach 180mph they get slower of course, and you can say there is a wall, but nothing compared to what a car experiences at that speed, not to mention the advantage the bike has gotten by the time he reaches 140mph, by that time if he went WOT he should be in the next state before you reach that speed. A bone stock Gixxer 1000 will pull a full second over a Ferrarin Enzo in a 0-120mph race, imagine a roll on race, were you don't even have to worry about flipping the bike over, with a 997...

But for those that still think they can beat a 1000cc bike with ANY 911 in straigh-line acceleration lets got to the facts: last year's GSX-R1000 (this years is even more powerful, and that goes for the Kawa and Yamaha which are similar) needs 10,5 seconds to reach 140mph, a Porsche 997 Carrera "S" needs MORE THAN 24 seconds thats more than TWICE the time! i.e. by the time you reach 140mph he has been there 14 seconds ago.

I love sportcars and I love sportbikes but bikes are bikes and cars are cars, they are very different in some of their attributes... acceleration is one of them that cannot be even compared between the two...

Last edited by Carlos from Spain; 04-18-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:39 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

The roads are bad there so the guy must have been crazy enough but not so, so crazy like in "Falling Down". He is lucky he no fall down.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

....well yea ****... at lower speeds a bike will rape almost anything except cars with $$$$$$$$ dropped into it.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
... No one is saying o mine is faster....... people need to calm down. And no paper means nothing. But this wasnt about a set up race. The guy was just posting what happened to him one night. If you buy a Porsche to just cruise at speed limit and never let her breathe your buying it for all the wrong reasons.
I agree with taking it to the track for racing, but whats wrong with spirited driving wether your alone or going with/against somebody. As long as the drivers are not being stupid or clearly endaging people then let em be. If your going to bitch and complain about it, then please just go back to making your "amazing" rib eye steak and leave the drivers alone.
Ask Jame's "Jimmy" Dean what is wrong with spirited driving. But seriously, I too am guilty of attempting to break the sound barrier once in a while. But its on my terms, by myself and with no other cars in sight.

However, I would never race with a stranger. You never know when that X factor is going to come into play. And belive me, 3 or 4 lanes is not wide enough when you drive against a potentially idiotic stranger at speeds of 140mph+ on USA highways. One little debri, a cm off on the steering wheel, and its R.I.P.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:46 PM
fast lane
Racer

when I saw the bike coming up on my left he was going 90mph or better, when I saw what kind of bike it was and that the road was open ahead of us I wanted to see the bike go. When he took off I was expecting to loose sight of him, in my mind I thought it was a mis match and he would pull away easily. When I realized that I was out accelerating the bike I was suprised and that is why I kept going. I'm not trying to say my car outperformes a gsxr 1000, I'm sorry if it came across that way and offended anyone. What I am saying is that my car outperformed THAT gsxr 1000 with THAT rider in THOSE conditions, and it surprised me. And I thought I would pass this story along. I hope this helps people understand what the circumstances were that night. I'm not a road racer and my intension was just to see how close I could keep up with that bike I didn't think it was going to go as far as it did.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stupid....& ......Foolish

A pothole, a ladder, a tiresnake, an animal

Public roads are not the safe place to play
Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast lane
I'm not trying to say my car outperformes a gsxr 1000, I'm sorry if it came across that way and offended anyone. What I am saying is that my car outperformed THAT gsxr 1000 with THAT rider in THOSE conditions, and it surprised me. And I thought I would pass this story along. I hope this helps people understand what the circumstances were that night. I'm not a road racer and my intension was just to see how close I could keep up with that bike I didn't think it was going to go as far as it did.
Very fair, I just wanted to make clear that a 1000cc sporbike, such as the GXS-R, can out accelerate even a supercar "if rider wants to" that is, since some implied it could of been even a close race with a 911, I know you were just mentioning what happenend that night only. That said, if a GSX-R blows passed my 911 in acceleration I won't get the least bit upset, nor do I get any pleasure passing 911's on my Gixxer, cars and bikes do not compete with each other. They each have their good points and attractiveness.

Right click and save as...
GSX-R1000 accerelating (2MB)

Last edited by Carlos from Spain; 04-18-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to tell you this, but i ride a GIXXER, and well out cars are fast,,,,My bike is faster, i think he got scared and didnt wind it right out, i have seen 318 KMH......I am not saying you didnt beat him, i am saying he wasnt riding...
Old 04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Hey fast lane,

I live near the thruway and was wondering if I can give you cash so you can sign me up here since I don't have a credit card that I can use. Thanks.

James
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

This is all very funny. Public roads aren't the safe place to play yet we can buy cars with far more horsepower and capability than is necessary on a public road. "But I track my car." Yeah, well any used $8,000 Formula Ford open wheel car will run circles around you on a track so if you were really that serious about track time and experience you'd be in something of that nature.

Stop the hypocracy. These kinds of cars are bought and aggressively used on the street the majority of the time. Who needs all that crisp turn in, responsive suspension and smooth shifting for lane changes at 55/65 or 70mph? Give me a break.

Quick Reply: 997 vs suzuki gsxr 1000