Sponsored by:

997S: wheel squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997S: wheel squeak?

On my way back from picking up the car driving (65-75mph) there was a whine/squeaking coming from the rear part of the car. It went away after about 10-15 minutes. It just happened again today and this time I was able to slow down. At slow speeds I seem to only hear the noise when I break. Could the breaks be rubbing the wheels at high speed? Anyone else have this problem? I am not sure I want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:09 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has it too, only hear it when the windows are down. Dealer says it'll go away after some miles, I'm at 450.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
fast lane
Racer

took my car out tonight for a little while and noticed a squeaking sound coming from the rear. It seemed to come and go. As i was pulling into a parking lot at 5-10 mph the noise was so loud it was turning heads, I looked when I got out expecting to see the wheel dragging behind the car judging by the sound it was making, and everything looked fine. Went into the resturant left about an hour later and never heard another noise at any speed. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to be intermittent. I think its the parking brake. I've pulled it up when I hear the squeek at speed and it disappears.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast lane
took my car out tonight for a little while and noticed a squeaking sound coming from the rear. It seemed to come and go. As i was pulling into a parking lot at 5-10 mph the noise was so loud it was turning heads, I looked when I got out expecting to see the wheel dragging behind the car judging by the sound it was making, and everything looked fine. Went into the resturant left about an hour later and never heard another noise at any speed. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
My EXACT problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Originally Posted by texas911
Seems to be intermittent. I think its the parking brake. I've pulled it up when I hear the squeek at speed and it disappears.

Hmm...I will try that...do I need to stop first? The two times this has happened I have been going like 65-75.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Dro
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast lane
I just had this happen to me today for the first time. I just hit 10,000 miles. I was driving home from work and about 10 miles into the drive when slowing down I heard the exact noise as described above. I am hoping when I leave my garage later it will not come back.

Has anyone got any updated info on this?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 PM

My 07 S has had a low speed brake squeal since about 1400 miles (@2000 now). I tried the high speed hard braking stuff, flushing out the brakes (when cold of course) etc etc and the slow speed squeak remains. I've had this issue on a few new MB's and the only solution was when the dealer replaced the pads and rotors (they tried anti squeal paste, sanding the pads etc etc all to no avail). BTW; never had this issue with any of the other Porsches I've owned over the years.

Billy Bob; it's brakes not breaks
Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Dro
Instructor

its not the brakes becuase it makes the noise when slowing down without applying the brakes.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 PM

B.B.D. mentioned the noise occurs when he slows down and breaks, err brakes. My car sounds like a freaking school bus with light slow speed braking!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Billy Bob; it's brakes not breaks
Ahh....Umm....I don't think Billy Bob is gonna see that, seeing that the last time he posted here was almost two yrs ago.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ahh....Umm....I don't think Billy Bob is gonna see that, seeing that the last time he posted here was almost two yrs ago.

Ahh...Umm, he's not the only one I've seen that suffers from the break vs. brake syndrome in this forum...hoping to spread the word.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
...he's not the only one that suffers from the break vs. brake syndrome in this forum...hoping to spread the word.
Alright!

Quick Reply: 997S: wheel squeak?