Sponsored by:

Returned from PDE - some 997 insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returned from PDE - some 997 insight

Well, I had a fantastic time at PDE - some of the world's most fantastic vehicles and certainly some of the best instructors you can 'rent'. Great track, great food, spectacular program overall.

Now, on to the 997's - I was VERY impressed with these, and the technology is a gigantic leap forward for Porsche over the 996. PSM allows more 'fun' with sliding but also is more effective, the balance of the car is just beautiful, the speed is noticeably faster, the exhaust note (particularly on the S) is worlds better, and of course the interior electronics are superior. What I was most impressed with is the new generation tiptronic - no longer does it shift you to the next gear even when you are in manual mode - it really lets you get to the rev limiter before it does that, and the shifts themselves are faster and with much less lag. You can hear the rev matching when you downshift, and if you keep it in 'auto mode', it has a more agressive shifting map than the previous tiptronic had.

I started the experience in a 6-speed, but when I tried the tiptronic the afternoon of the first day, I never went back. I know it's a torque converter, and it's not as good as a sequential gearbox, but since less than 1% of drivers with 6-speed are good enough to shift as well as a computer, and I'm certainly among the lower 10% of those 99%, I'm sticking with tiptronic, particularly considering all the improvements that have been made.

I was shooting for a GT3 as my next car, but PSM and tiptronic have lured me in - GT3 is not for those of us who drive and the PSM goes off occassionally - it's for those who never miss a shift, never understeer or oversteer without complete control, and maintain the correct grip balance the entire time.

Maybe in a few years, but for now, I'm gonna chase the 997 S tiptronic.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:05 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

PDE is great, I'am making my way across the country to attend the Masters!

Who were some of your instructors?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:45 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Hurley Haywood (not the best 'instructor' in the world - old school), Cass Whitehead, David Donohue, Joe Fox, and Daniel Eastman. Awesome.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan Eastman and Dave Murray were outstanding when I did it last yr, Hurley is hurley.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a link to the PDE events?
I am very excited to get to participate in one.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:19 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Well, I had a fantastic time at PDE - some of the world's most fantastic vehicles and certainly some of the best instructors you can 'rent'. Great track, great food, spectacular program overall.

Now, on to the 997's - I was VERY impressed with these, and the technology is a gigantic leap forward for Porsche over the 996. PSM allows more 'fun' with sliding but also is more effective, the balance of the car is just beautiful, the speed is noticeably faster, the exhaust note (particularly on the S) is worlds better, and of course the interior electronics are superior. What I was most impressed with is the new generation tiptronic - no longer does it shift you to the next gear even when you are in manual mode - it really lets you get to the rev limiter before it does that, and the shifts themselves are faster and with much less lag. You can hear the rev matching when you downshift, and if you keep it in 'auto mode', it has a more agressive shifting map than the previous tiptronic had.

I started the experience in a 6-speed, but when I tried the tiptronic the afternoon of the first day, I never went back. I know it's a torque converter, and it's not as good as a sequential gearbox, but since less than 1% of drivers with 6-speed are good enough to shift as well as a computer, and I'm certainly among the lower 10% of those 99%, I'm sticking with tiptronic, particularly considering all the improvements that have been made.

I was shooting for a GT3 as my next car, but PSM and tiptronic have lured me in - GT3 is not for those of us who drive and the PSM goes off occassionally - it's for those who never miss a shift, never understeer or oversteer without complete control, and maintain the correct grip balance the entire time.

Maybe in a few years, but for now, I'm gonna chase the 997 S tiptronic.
cool, 997s already, eh? how many miles did they have on them?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PCA had a DE at Barber last weekend (which was a blast). Here are all the PDE cars tucked away in a corner. Lots of 997s.

There was also a nice 997S in our DE. He left the track under less-than-ideal circumstances, but I don't think it was anything too serious.
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2005, 03:31 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

We got to drive the 997 on the track, everybody got a run in the 997 S as well, toward the end of the 2nd day. The autocross featured the tiptronic Boxster and the Boxster S on the 2nd day, and also a run in the Cayenne on the autocross. Skid pad was 997. Each had less than 2000 miles on them.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Our 997 is a Tiptronic, and having lived with it day to day for 3,000 miles now, I'm not happy with it under any circumstances...heavy traffic or barrelling through the canyons. Shift smoothness is inconsistent, lag time is annoying, and five gears isn't enough. I also dislike the lack of console shifting ability (only steering wheel buttons with the new Porsche Tips), and it needs a sport mode to keep the revs up and out of the lugging zone under 2k RPM. If you must have an automatic, BMW's Steptronics do a better job. The only cool thing about the Tiptronic is bouncing off the rev limiter with PSM off, but I'd sacrifice it for more smooth and consistent day-to-day use.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 AM
CO997
Racer

Alan - You're comments on the Tip are interesting. While I have a 6 speed and love it, I had read many articles saying that Porsche's Tip was among the best in the industry. I actually had people trying to talk me into getting it instead of the manual. I must confess I never actually drove one as I had no intention of getting one but there were many pushing for it. Far as I can remember you are the first person I can remember not liking it. Sorry to hear about you're frustrations.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 AM
baboou
Instructor

I tend to agree with Alan but my tip experience goes back to my first '97 Boxster. I really disliked the lag as alan indicated. I am looking forward to giving the new tip a try at PDE in June. I think when Porsche comes out with their dual clutch paddle shifter version I would be more inclined to that type of tranny.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
CO997
Racer

baboou - Did I pass you're car this weekend on A1A in Satellite beach? I saw a black 997s sitting in the parking lot Satellite beach on Sun. I thought yours was silver but when I saw that one I wasn't sure anymore. Either way the car looked fantastic.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
baboou
Instructor

Hey Shaun - Nope, not I. Mine is indeed artic silver (was last time I looked) Nice to hear of another 997 in the area though.

BTW, we went to the Amelia Island concours the previous weekend and it is an event you don't want to miss next year. We should try and get a P-car group to caravan up there.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:33 AM
CO997
Racer

I hoped you would come back with lots of pics and comments about that event, if you do start a new thread. I have heard it is a fantastic event. A group trip next year sounds great to me. Speaking of group trips, the one we did a couple of weekes ago was fantastic, they did another one last weekend over to Sebring and back. I missed that one due to family junk, but it was supposed to be really good as well. We really need to schedule another one soon, before summer gets here.

Quick Reply: Returned from PDE - some 997 insight