Sponsored by:

Are the 997 visors dangerous ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:31 PM
CJ997
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Are the 997 visors dangerous ?

Since taking delivery of my 997S in November, I've found the sun visors at best inadequate, and at worst dangerous.

On the 996, the same visors were used, and these were just about adequate. For the 997, Porsche has kept the same roof, including the visors, but lowered the front seats by a couple of centimeters.

The result is that I find the visors way too short, and the only way I can get them to stop me from being blinded by low sun is if my seat is as high as it will go, and I'm 5 feet 10 inches tall. I have to adjust my seat height from my preferred position as I'm driving, if I encounter low sun which isn't particularly safe or desirable.

I don't have this problem in any other car, and I think I heard that the Mini had a similar problem which resulted in a recall by BMW to replace the visors.

Before I talk to my Porsche dealer about this, has anyone experienced something similar, or am I the only one ?

I wonder who will be the first to sue Porsche over this if they crash as a result of being temporarily blinded ?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:37 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

turn around and drive the other way. problem solved! j/k! i actually used mine today and they seemed fine. but i agree that they are way shoter than any other car ive ever driven. i can see where they might pose a problem. here in atlanta, driving into the sun causes major traffic jams in the morning. by the way, im 5'11" and have my seat set pretty low too. maybe that 1" makes a difference
Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Class action suit!!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're dangerously ugly.

I'm surprised Porsche didn't make the entire visor out of black and yellow striped plastic with, "Danger! You could be killed!" stickers all over them.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:53 PM
CJ997
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
turn around and drive the other way. problem solved!
Yeah, I tried that, but got bored when I couldn't get above 30mph. The car also felt strangely predictable, a bit like a front engined front wheel drive car...until I got to a corner
Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
maybe that 1" makes a difference
I've heard that a few times before

I have the standard seats, I think the sports seats are lower, so maybe there's even more of a problem with these ? I do like to drive with the seat base near the floor, and definitely find low sun a major problem.

I also live in the UK, and we get a lot of low sun in the winter, so this may also be a factor.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 PM
MMD
Banned

they're NOT dangerous! They have all those warning labels all over them.

Porsche will never get sued successfully because the fault will be the driver's for not driving safely given the road/climate conditions.

I'm sure there's all sorst of visor extentions that can be found at aftermarket specialty outlets. Or even RV accessories places. If necesary you can cut them smaller to fir the Porsche etc.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:09 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throw on some sunglasses, you might even look cool.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with you completely ... completely useless just like the sunroofs. Take them off and throw them away .. saves about 2lbs. That's what I did in my GT3 ... LOL.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You could put an 8" limo tint band across the top of the windshield...

But let's face it, there is a point when the sun is just above the horizon, nothing works.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I agree that they are somewhat useless. I am 5' 10" and drive with my standard seat low and back. When I need the visor I have to raise my seat to the highest point and that does not always work. They need to be larger or have another panel which hinges. Have you seen the old people with the sunglasses incorporated into the visor which looks like another panel? That is what our cars need! It would sure look hokey.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
PV
Pro

Sunvisors, isn't that one of the less developed pieces on the (any) car, together with the wipers. I'm waiting for self diming water fobic windscreens. All visors (in any car) are useless, as the sun is always at that spot were the visor can't cover it.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't used them but I'll add that they look extremely cheap against the suede headliner. On my old E55 the visors were in matching suede and looked really good. I think the 997 are directly from the shiney plastic'd 996.

Quick Reply: Are the 997 visors dangerous ?