Sponsored by:

PCNA experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by baboou
Gary, what's the latest? How are they jerking you around?
Well, its been over 5 days since I got an email from the service manager stating that they were working on a compensation number for me and I would have it on 2/23/05. I've sent several emails, including the one today setting a deadline of EOB today before I contact PCNA with this. I simply cannot fathom why they are not jumping through HOOPS to get this resolved quickly. All I can say at this point is stay away from Hoffman Porsche in East Htfd, CT.

I'll post what happens next..

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-28-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just heard back from the "Service manager". He states that it will cost less than $300.00 to repair my bumper. Now maybe i'm an idiot but $300 to:

1. Labor to remove the rear bumper cover.
2. Replace with a NEW undamaged bumper cover
3. Paint and cure new bumper cover
4. Replace bumper cover with new one
5. Guarentee the paint job at least for 5 years
6. Supply me with a loaner while this is being done.

I got an estimate from a reputable body shop and the bumper cover alone is $810.00. Labor and materials come to close to $1500.00!!

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-28-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Great. Dealer does $1500.00 in damage which I was willing to accept in RETAIL (read that marked up) parts/service credit and live with rather than replace/repaint my whole rear bumper. He gets back to me and tells me his people says its under $300 to repair. I call PCNA and they tell me there is nothing they can do to help because he is an independant dealer.

So i can have a mickey-mouse repair done or accept credit for said repair (they will be out a whole $100 or so!), or eat it.

I hate car dealers (have I said that recently?)...
Old 03-01-2005, 03:13 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Gary,

I read you posting about the dealer's mutilation of your rear bumper. I would be upset as you, whether the damage was visible or not.

I would suggest simply sending a letter to the dealer with your final demands and explain to him that you will file for a judgement against him via Small Claims Court. NYS and CT must have similar SC systems - the SC system in NYS allows you to seek compensation for damages from another indvidual or company for up to $5,000.

All you have to do is follow the court's procedure, you will get a trial date, arrive with photos and tell your story, including the documentation on the REAL cost to install a new factory bumper cover. The judge will likely find in your favor, especially since this is a brand new $80k (ish) vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Gary,

I read you posting about the dealer's mutilation of your rear bumper. I would be upset as you, whether the damage was visible or not.

I would suggest simply sending a letter to the dealer with your final demands and explain to him that you will file for a judgement against him via Small Claims Court. NYS and CT must have similar SC systems - the SC system in NYS allows you to seek compensation for damages from another indvidual or company for up to $5,000.

All you have to do is follow the court's procedure, you will get a trial date, arrive with photos and tell your story, including the documentation on the REAL cost to install a new factory bumper cover. The judge will likely find in your favor, especially since this is a brand new $80k (ish) vehicle.

Good luck.

Thanks Mike, great minds think alike... I'm requesting contact info for the G.M. at Hoffman (phone conversations can't be used in court, emails can) and intend on contacting him with my final offer. If not resolved, it WILL go to SC (no pun intended) court. If it goes that way you can be sure that other than collecting for my damages they will NEVER see me or any of my friends there.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if they do give you a new bumper cover and do not do a good job of painting it? You will be sorry down the road with the way red fades. I would keep the same bumper cover and let them work only where it will not show or give you some cash. I have seen 911's and Boxsters with faded red bumpers.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Good luck. SC is easy - bring a lot of documentation and photos. You'll be done in 1/2 hour.

That is a sweet looking 997, congrats on owning such a nice ride.

The post from 997S got me thinking, if you do end up changing out the rear bumper cover, can you purchase the Euro cover and get rid of those rear "bumperettes" on the 997? I did that on my 993 and it really improved and cleaned up the look of the rear of the car.

As far as a newly painted bumper cover fading, that should not be an issue if the body shop uses the right base-coat and clear coat product. The problem is getting the tint exactly right and a surface that's glass smooth, w/o orange peel, like the factory produces. That is tough for any body shop to do. If the tint is off and the surface smoothness doesn't match perfectly, you'll notice it.

997S's post is wise then - it may be better to have the body shop just fix the unwanted holes and fade in new paint where needed and leave the rest of the bumper cover factory.

If you ever head out towards Watkins Glen, email or PM me. I live about 45 mminutes from WG and would be glad to meet you at an event.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I really have no intention of having anything painted/repaired, I just want to be compenstated fairly for damage done to my car by the dealers incompetance.

Mike - I plan on attending a DE up at Watkins later this summer (if I can get in!). Not sure what is allowed at the event itself but could certainly get together in the off-time!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Email me when you get a DE date this summer. I'll drive down to say hello and have beer (soda for you).
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Gary,

These dealers are out of control! That is ridiculous offer from them and an insult...Why can't they own up to their hatchet job and give you a grand or so...

Idiots!

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 AM
CO997
Racer

It's amazing how different peoples experiences can be with the same company. While mine started out bad, Porsche came thru in the end and did the right thing by me. The even did it in record time as far as I'm concerned. Now we read about Gary's issue. I get that he dealt with an independent dealer but the car still has the Porsche name on it doesn't it. If Porsche were your company, wouldn't you want all of your customers to have good experiences no matter who sold you your car?? Wouldn't it be pretty easy for PCNA to call that dealer and put some pressue on them to do that right thing, or else.....
Just my 2cents. Good luck Gary, hope it all works out.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
jboyko
Intermediate

That's if PCNA really cared about customer concerns. As a testament to a numb organization, I believe that Porsche will wait you out. Whereas, my 997s has 39 cumulative days out of service and counting. I really would have thought that Porsche would have had more immediacy in getting my car done right. They haven't done either, and they forced me to bring them to suit.

As a business owner, I always try to remedy a customers real, or perceived problems, with concern and actions. I set the tone of how my employees treat the customers, and how we need to address problems on the shop floor. Service and quality start at the top, and Peter Schwarzenbauer sits on the top of PCNA. As long as PCNA makes money, he will sit, and your ownership experience will have Porsche as your fair weather friend.

jb
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Holes in bumpers is a pet peeve of mine. PA is a single (rear) license plate state. When we bought our Volvo I specifed that they not install the front plate holder, but the people at the Baltimore port did anyway. I asked the dealer to swap the front bumper with another car of the same color destined for NJ, a two license place state, and they did. When we bought our BMW the dealer brought it down from NY, a two license plate state. When I asked about the front bumper the sales guy immediately said that they'd get it fixed at their expense because they wanted us to be happy with the car. When I picked it up it was perfect. The GT3 had NO problems of this kind, although I do have those silly bumper plugs Porsche uses.

I absolutely understand your bumper issue!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Holes in bumpers is a pet peeve of mine. PA is a single (rear) license plate state. When we bought our Volvo I specifed that they not install the front plate holder, but the people at the Baltimore port did anyway. I asked the dealer to swap the front bumper with another car of the same color destined for NJ, a two license place state, and they did. When we bought our BMW the dealer brought it down from NY, a two license plate state. When I asked about the front bumper the sales guy immediately said that they'd get it fixed at their expense because they wanted us to be happy with the car. When I picked it up it was perfect. The GT3 had NO problems of this kind, although I do have those silly bumper plugs Porsche uses.

I absolutely understand your bumper issue!
It's all about simply taking responsibility to me. These aren't holes that were put in to mount the licence plate. In the rear there are two grommets with holes in them for that purpose. These are holes that were created along side of the grommets (crooked to boot!) out of shear incompetence. To me its no different if a mechanic sat in my seat with a screwdriver in his pocket or a forklift at the dealer ripped open the side of my car while in for service. Damage was done and I am due restitution. I gave them ample time and and an easy way out. Retail credit at the dealership for the true amount of damages , which is $1500.00. I could (and now WILL) demand full cash restitution and will get some new estimates as this one was from someone that isn't out to hurt me. I bet it will go substantially higher. Once down that road I know I will cost them at LEAST one customer (buy buy $10K), the thousands more I may have spent there myself, AND the damages.

Love my car, hate my dealer.. LOL
Old 03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
CO997
Racer

Gary any luck with your bumper? We have not heard anything from you since the last post above.

Quick Reply: PCNA experience