Sponsored by:

Rennlist 997 owners: Age and Occupation

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 02:53 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AsgardGolf
Age 34 - Bought a 997.2 S manual. Job is Head of AI/Machine-learning for a Fortune 250 company. I have been a massive Porsche fan my entire life. My Dad owned a 993 in Carrera Red when I was a kid and I adored going on spirited drives in it. I knew I had to own one and was lucky enough to buy my car two years ago. It is currently my daily (most of the drives are to the golf course though as we are generally working from home since 2019).
That's a pretty great career path for the future right there... nice.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:56 PM
posternutbag2000
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

49, Head of Research for a Biotech start-up. Purchased my first Porsche last year; 2006 silver C2S Cab. My uncle was a Porsche mechanic and eventually opened his own shop in KC (Automekanica I think). He retired and closed the shop with the last of the air-cooled 911s (1998 I think). So I've lusted after them my whole life. Its been a fun 5 months with my weekend driver.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince Vincent
Wanting to do more financially (real estate? any advice please?!) but the market is crazy right now and we're unsure of where we will be living in the next 3-5 yrs
2006 997S (tucked away mostly, driven hard during driving seasons) and a daily 2012 Audi A3 (sportback) we share
Otherwise I take the duty bus as much as possible to/from work and around bases lol
Had to bite on this one. Started to dabble in real estate while still an airline pilot with all the time off I had. Only flew around 2 weeks per month on average. That was the typical schedule so started to look for something to do with all that time off. Real estate came into focus somehow. Didn't know the first thing about it but I knew how to use a calculator and the numbers I came up with looked tasty. Talked to our accountant about the wisdom of buying rental properties. He's not cheap but considered one of the best in town. His answer to my question was: "I own 34 rental properties. Does that answer your question?"

I have no idea what the tax laws are in other countries as they relate to investment properties but here in the US our accountant told us that rental properties is the last legal tax shelter in the US. He wasn't talking out of his a$$. Me and my wife started out easy with a relatively inexpensive condo that rented in short order. Five years later we had 11 of them and paid almost no taxes on good income between me and my wife. This went on for close to 20 years and aside from the tax savings, the annual appreciation of each property has to be considered too.

The only downside is if you have a regular 5 day a week job it may be difficult to manage multiple rental properties yourself and hiring a manager to take care of it obviously takes a bite out of the proceeds. And even if you manage yourself it can be a PIA. I went through 5 evictions. I hired an attorney for the first one. He charged me $3,000 and took almost 3 months to get the freeloader out. Big mistake but it was a learning curve. Read up on the subject and did the rest of them myself which cost about $300 instead of $3,000 and I had them out in less than a month instead of almost 3 months for ten times the cost.

There's more but you get the idea.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
46, retired Army after 23 years. Right before I retired I realized that the 997 was obtainable. Got out of the Army, went to college at 40 to finally fulfill my promise to my Grandma. Graduated in 2020 at 45, the same weekend as my daughter. Thanks to COVID there was no graduation ceremony for either of us. Now I work for the USDA. Used to drive an 2003.5 M3, still own an 03 Cobra, but that’s getting prepped for sale. Been lurking for a few years and became a member 2 years ago. Bought my 06 C2S in July. Probably paid too much, but it just about 100% my dream spec.
Thanks for your service. Glad to see some of us veterans obtaining what some think is the unobtainable for us. Problem is once you get one...it becomes a serious hobby/addiction!
Originally Posted by Vince Vincent
Occupation: Active Duty Air Force, living and doing the bidding of the US Military, currently living in Germany (and many places before that)
Married (35) way above my level (Reserve AF flight medic and clinical research tech), kids are on the horizon

Hobbies: Wife, Fitness, staying healthy, staying debt free while adding to our nest egg, MBA student soon, travel, outdoor sports, raising our 5 yr dog, good food, good alcohol, cars, cars...and more cars...
Wanting to do more financially (real estate? any advice please?!) but the market is crazy right now and we're unsure of where we will be living in the next 3-5 yrs

2006 997S (tucked away mostly, driven hard during driving seasons) and a daily 2012 Audi A3 (sportback) we share
Otherwise I take the duty bus as much as possible to/from work and around bases lol
Congrats and thanks for your service as well. Enjoy the dream.

Me? 50's Active Duty AF Flight Surgeon living OCONUS and at the down size of 25+ years of Service to Uncle Sam. Some say I should go enjoy life a bit after so many deployments and time away from family and the world. Maybe...we'll see. Right now will enjoy my 992.1 and new Tacyan CT-4 and new to me M4 coupe!
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Ohio Performance (01-29-2022), TerrestrialFlyte (01-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Rennlist 997 owners: Age and Occupation