Sponsored by:

Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 01:56 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
So what do you recommend then for a Sprint Treo 650/Bluetooth headset user, who has PCM & NAV but not the GSM phone module, but who might be tempted if the price was right & the technology worked. Questions:

1) How much is the phone module and all other necessary parts for the Porsche system, installed?
2) How do you 'share' if at all, the sim card between the phone as a standalone handset and the phone integrated into the PCM/stereo?

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black) (12/04 build)
800 miles and perfect
I have to say that trying to switch the SIM card from the drawer to your phone everytime you get in and out would be a royal PIA...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:40 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad that all is sorted out and that the phone seems to perform well.
Interesting the 32 vs 64 bit problem....Has anyone else run into thid delima yet?
I've had my SIM card for for quite some time so all should be well, I hope

Can you hear me now??
Old 02-19-2005, 02:18 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Okay. I finally got the 32K SIM card today. Everything works great. Interestingly, the PCM phone displays logging into the AT&T network rather than Cingular...Hmm...hopefully later in the year, when AT&T completely migrates over to Cingular, things will work!

As I found out, its not the 64K part that's the problem, its the new ENS (enhanced network service?) protocol of Cingular that's the problem.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:02 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ALIN2:
Do you know if the phone option can be retrofitted at a later date? It seems that it would involve quite a bit of work to route the wires, install the mic and other components, and make all the necessary connections to make it all come together. I'm considering ordering this option so that I can use the phone with the MF Steering Wheel that I'm ordering, but from what I've been reading here you'll need to constantly swap out your SIM card every time you drive. I wonder if it's possible to clone a SIM card just to resolve this problem. If so, then the remaining concern would be to always remember to turn off your cell phone before starting up the car. This will still be a PIA but at least it will be easier to perform. Anybody here know if it's even possible to do this?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:23 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Okay. I finally got the 32K SIM card today. Everything works great. Interestingly, the PCM phone displays logging into the AT&T network rather than Cingular...Hmm...hopefully later in the year, when AT&T completely migrates over to Cingular, things will work!

As I found out, its not the 64K part that's the problem, its the new ENS (enhanced network service?) protocol of Cingular that's the problem.
Hey Alin,

The PCM phone is logging into the AT&T network since AT&T's network operates on GSM 1900. Cingular's network operates on GSM 850 which is not compatible with tri-band phones (EGSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900). I would imagine that the AT&T network would eventually appear as Cingular on the display in the future.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey Alin,

The PCM phone is logging into the AT&T network since AT&T's network operates on GSM 1900. Cingular's network operates on GSM 850 which is not compatible with tri-band phones (EGSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900). I would imagine that the AT&T network would eventually appear as Cingular on the display in the future.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Cingular is going to keep on expanding the GSM 1900 band or the GSM 850 band or both?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:23 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
ALIN2:
Do you know if the phone option can be retrofitted at a later date? It seems that it would involve quite a bit of work to route the wires, install the mic and other components, and make all the necessary connections to make it all come together. I'm considering ordering this option so that I can use the phone with the MF Steering Wheel that I'm ordering, but from what I've been reading here you'll need to constantly swap out your SIM card every time you drive. I wonder if it's possible to clone a SIM card just to resolve this problem. If so, then the remaining concern would be to always remember to turn off your cell phone before starting up the car. This will still be a PIA but at least it will be easier to perform. Anybody here know if it's even possible to do this?
Per MJones:

If you have the PCM faceplate with SOS button and SIM card slot, it will be a available as a Tequipment retrofit (GSM phone module)

This running production change occured in Nov '04 The new faceplate is now the worldwide standard and will come on all 997 and 987 models that have PCM.

If you have the early faceplate with-out SOS button and SIM card slot, looks like you will NOT be able to retrofit.

'05 Guards Red 997S Arrived: Port of San Diego waiting for a transport
'02 996 C2 is For Sale

I actually have a Verizon phone I usually use. I just got a low priced plan from Cingular to use in the car exclusively. I then call forward my Verizon phone to my car.

It's a total PIA, but apparently in the US, phone companies will not allow cloned SIM cards...which sucks...
Old 02-19-2005, 12:01 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to her you got the phone operating. I'm in the radio communication business and I just read an interesting article in one of my trade papers, RCR Wireless News, that Telematics company Cellport Systems, is suing PNA for patent infringement. The article states:

Cellport has also filed similar lawsuits against Bury GmbH & Co., THB USA Inc. and Henry Bury Mielec Sp. The lawsuit, filed in Maryland Federal District Court, seeks damages and an injunction prohibiting Porsche and the other three companies from using its technology without authorization.
the technology in question is Cellport's Personal Telematics architecture, which conects a variety of wireless handsets with a standard vehicle interface for hands-free calling and telmatics applications.
"THB Bury is not licensed to use our technology, yet Porsche is supplying their dealers with Bury's equipment in the US," said Pat Kennedy, ceo of Cellport Systems. "In order to protect out patents and enforce our rights, we are pursuing these court actions against all four parties."

Has anyone seen this interface offered by your local dealer? I found more info on Cellport at www.cellport.com.

Last edited by SamG; 02-19-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add link to Cellport
Old 02-19-2005, 12:57 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamG
Glad to her you got the phone operating. I'm in the radio communication business and I just read an interesting article in one of my trade papers, RCR Wireless News, that Telematics company Cellport Systems, is suing PNA for patent infringement. The article states:

Cellport has also filed similar lawsuits against Bury GmbH & Co., THB USA Inc. and Henry Bury Mielec Sp. The lawsuit, filed in Maryland Federal District Court, seeks damages and an injunction prohibiting Porsche and the other three companies from using its technology without authorization.
the technology in question is Cellport's Personal Telematics architecture, which conects a variety of wireless handsets with a standard vehicle interface for hands-free calling and telmatics applications.
"THB Bury is not licensed to use our technology, yet Porsche is supplying their dealers with Bury's equipment in the US," said Pat Kennedy, ceo of Cellport Systems. "In order to protect out patents and enforce our rights, we are pursuing these court actions against all four parties."

Has anyone seen this interface offered by your local dealer? I found more info on Cellport at www.cellport.com.
I don't think this is the PCM telephone module which is basically just a unlocked triband GSM phone I gather.

Would this be the elusive "Porsche Cellular Solution" advertised in the Tequipment catalogs? Although I have seen pictures, I have never actually seen one in real life...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:53 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Another interesting note...

I noticed that the 2005 order guides for the 997 and the 987 do not list Option 666 "PCM phone module" So if you relied upon the Order Guide alone, you would never know about the PCM phone module. Hmmm. I wonder why PCNA doesn't list the option...
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that the 2005 order guides for the 997 and the 987 do not list Option 666 "PCM phone module" So if you relied upon the Order Guide alone, you would never know about the PCM phone module. Hmmm. I wonder why PCNA doesn't list the option...
Probably because of the spotty GSM service we have in this country. I mean, even after Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless their combined GSM network is still limited to major metropolitan areas. A big part of the country has no GSM coverage.

PCNA is instead promoting the Porsche Cell Solution. It is essentially a phone model-specific cradle that integrates into audio system. I don't know for which phone models the cradles are available but this solution would avoid the problem of having the right service provider, network type (GSM, CDMA, PCS) and frequencies, etc. As long as you have a compatible phone and service you're good to go.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by programmatore
Probably because of the spotty GSM service we have in this country. I mean, even after Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless their combined GSM network is still limited to major metropolitan areas. A big part of the country has no GSM coverage.

PCNA is instead promoting the Porsche Cell Solution. It is essentially a phone model-specific cradle that integrates into audio system. I don't know for which phone models the cradles are available but this solution would avoid the problem of having the right service provider, network type (GSM, CDMA, PCS) and frequencies, etc. As long as you have a compatible phone and service you're good to go.
The "Porsche Cellular Solution" was advertised as available for my 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I have never seen it. Has anyone seen this mythical cellphone solution?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

It is a mess. I've gone to two dealers so far and neither has a clue on what I need to do to activate my phone (I nave the correct faceplate). The service manager in Danbury was "away" so i'll go back next week but it really shouldn't be brain surgery....
Old 02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It is a mess. I've gone to two dealers so far and neither has a clue on what I need to do to activate my phone (I nave the correct faceplate). The service manager in Danbury was "away" so i'll go back next week but it really shouldn't be brain surgery....
Gary,

If you're interested in the integrated handsfree PCM module, I would definitely continue to pursue it. Now, that I have a usable SIM card, I find the execution of the integrated phone to be very well done. The voice quality is excellent. There is no annoying echo for the other party that you often get with speakerphones in a car. The SMS and telephone features are very well planned out. If you have the multifunction steering wheel, everything can be done at the wheel, including dialing a number etc.

I do wish Porsche decided to go with Bluetooth instead, byt the GSM phone module is pretty well thought out IMHO.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Gary,

If you're interested in the integrated handsfree PCM module, I would definitely continue to pursue it. Now, that I have a usable SIM card, I find the execution of the integrated phone to be very well done. The voice quality is excellent. There is no annoying echo for the other party that you often get with speakerphones in a car. The SMS and telephone features are very well planned out. If you have the multifunction steering wheel, everything can be done at the wheel, including dialing a number etc.

I do wish Porsche decided to go with Bluetooth instead, byt the GSM phone module is pretty well thought out IMHO.

Good luck!
Thanks Alin, I plan on it. I actually have a "spare" Samsung phone that has the 32K SIM card in it (vs the 64K in my Motorola V400) so "hopefully" i have most of what I need...

Quick Reply: Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???