Sponsored by:

Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Alin:
Yeah, I figured it was internally mounted. Btw, I have a brochure on the "Porsche Cellular Solution" that describes the phone "cradle" that you simply mount your cell phone to. But this seems obtrusive. It would be nice to have the phone embedded into the system, as you apparently have it, than having it sticking out there like that. Is it apparent at all to the casual observer that you have a working phone on your PCM? If not, that's the beauty of it. And I'd like to get that if possible.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:28 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Alin:
Yeah, I figured it was internally mounted. Btw, I have a brochure on the "Porsche Cellular Solution" that describes the phone "cradle" that you simply mount your cell phone to. But this seems obtrusive. It would be nice to have the phone embedded into the system, as you apparently have it, than having it sticking out there like that. Is it apparent at all to the casual observer that you have a working phone on your PCM? If not, that's the beauty of it. And I'd like to get that if possible.
The GSM phone module is completely and seamlessly integrated into PCM. There is a "TEL" button on the PCM to access the phone menus. However, if you have the multifunction steering wheel, you can access all the menus from the steering wheel.

If you don't mind getting a GSM phone and dedicating a SIM card/phone number to the phone module, I highly recommend it. The more calls I make, the more I am impressed with the sound quality and the convenience and safety of the integrated phone module...
Old 02-23-2005, 04:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

I have a GSM phone through ATT (now Cingular) and I suppose I can get another phone from them just so I can forward it to the car as you do. I saw your post regarding forwarded charges, perhaps ATT will also do it for free considering I'm keeping it in the family.
When I use my phone while driving it sounds like crap: annoying echos, bad reception, dropped calls and generally poor sound quality. I would love to have what you have. How much is this option again?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

I have a GSM phone through ATT (now Cingular) and I suppose I can get another phone from them just so I can forward it to the car as you do. I saw your post regarding forwarded charges, perhaps ATT will also do it for free considering I'm keeping it in the family.
When I use my phone while driving it sounds like crap: annoying echos, bad reception, dropped calls and generally poor sound quality. I would love to have what you have. How much is this option again?
Option 666...$960.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

Wow, for an integrated phone, that ain't cheap! But I think I'll get it. There's this other option I'm sure you've seen called the Phone Prep option (#618) that costs $340. Includes: antenna, mic, wiring harness and cradle base. Oh wait, that's your elusive Porsche Cellular Solution option!

Anyway, I AM getting the MFSW and I'm pretty sure I'll opt for option 666. (The devil is in the details, right?)
Old 02-24-2005, 02:13 AM
OCBen
Banned

Finally got the call today. Allocation assigned. My car now on order:

997S
Seal Grey/ Stone Grey Full Leather
Stone Grey Floor Mats
Porsche Crest in Headrest
Power Seat Package
19" Carrera Classic Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Multi-function Steering Wheel
Delete Model Designation
GSM Module for PCM Phone
Navigation for PCM
Bose High End Sound Package
Old 02-24-2005, 09:55 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Finally got the call today. Allocation assigned. My car now on order:

997S
Seal Grey/ Stone Grey Full Leather
Stone Grey Floor Mats
Porsche Crest in Headrest
Power Seat Package
19" Carrera Classic Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Multi-function Steering Wheel
Delete Model Designation
GSM Module for PCM Phone
Navigation for PCM
Bose High End Sound Package
Congrats!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
OCBen
Banned

Cheers to you too my friend and thanks for all your help.

I may need to pick your brain a bit later on once I get the car, so I hope you don't mind.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Cheers to you too my friend and thanks for all your help.

I may need to pick your brain a bit later on once I get the car, so I hope you don't mind.
No worries. It's pretty much "plug and play"...that is once you figure out that the firmware of the GSM modeule can't read 64K cards with ENS on...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 AM
OCBen
Banned

Default An Optimum Setup

Alin:

Check this out: I have GSM with ATT and they only charge $9.99 for an extra line added to my current plan, which I can use for the PCM phone. And, get this, for an additional $8.99 I can get their Business Productivity Package which includes "Flexible Ringing," which basically allows you to "Choose up to five phone numbers to ring when someone calls your wireless phone number. These numbers can be set-up to ring sequentially or simultaneously." Key word here is simultaneously. So this way you wouldn't have to mess with the forwarding on and off feature. You can just get in your car and when your wireless phone number is called, both your cellphone and your car's phone will ring simultaneously. Obviously you'll want to pick up with your car's phone. No dual air charges. The extra line will share the minutes of my current plan and since my usage will probably stay about the same regardless of whether I'm talking on the cell or through the car phone, I won't need to bump up the minutes of my plan at all. So, it's only gonna cost me $18.98 a month to make use of my new GSM module. Maybe you can look into an arrangement like this. It's clearly the best way to go as far as trouble free operation goes.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Alin:

Check this out: I have GSM with ATT and they only charge $9.99 for an extra line added to my current plan, which I can use for the PCM phone. And, get this, for an additional $8.99 I can get their Business Productivity Package which includes "Flexible Ringing," which basically allows you to "Choose up to five phone numbers to ring when someone calls your wireless phone number. These numbers can be set-up to ring sequentially or simultaneously." Key word here is simultaneously. So this way you wouldn't have to mess with the forwarding on and off feature. You can just get in your car and when your wireless phone number is called, both your cellphone and your car's phone will ring simultaneously. Obviously you'll want to pick up with your car's phone. No dual air charges. The extra line will share the minutes of my current plan and since my usage will probably stay about the same regardless of whether I'm talking on the cell or through the car phone, I won't need to bump up the minutes of my plan at all. So, it's only gonna cost me $18.98 a month to make use of my new GSM module. Maybe you can look into an arrangement like this. It's clearly the best way to go as far as trouble free operation goes.
Isn't AT&T Cingular now? I wonder if Cingular has this feature. Although it's ironic since the phone displays AT&T on it...

Thanks for the info. Although I am a little suspicious of GSM coverage in the USA.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 AM
OCBen
Banned

Yes of course, they're one and the same now, but since I signed up with ATT initially and since my account online is still maintained by ATT I still refer to them as such. But the same deal and features is no doubt available through Cingular, how can it not be? Just call and ask for details if you're interested. Btw, my phone now displays Cingular while the outside says ATT. Looks like yours is just the opposite - that's funny. GSM coverage is good out here on the west coast, and that's good enough for me.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wanted to report that the GSM phone works VERY well, and the sound quality is excellent both ways!
They seem to have done their homework on this one in terms of operational quality!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Just wanted to report that the GSM phone works VERY well, and the sound quality is excellent both ways!
They seem to have done their homework on this one in terms of operational quality!
Hey, congratulations again! I agree that the engineering and function of the GSM phone module works well. Do you use Cingular?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Hey, congratulations again! I agree that the engineering and function of the GSM phone module works well. Do you use Cingular?
Yes my provider is Cingular.
Did you rceive any operational instructions for the phone when you took delivery? I received none.
Doing a x-country run later this month and it will be interesting to see if performance is improved with the intigrated unit vs handheld.

Quick Reply: Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???