Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Alin2
Just wondering if the cards are different for a Tri-band phone vs standard...what kind do you have?
Have you tried a card from someone elses phone yet?
MJones,

I haven't had a chance to try another SIM card yet. I am not sure if the SIM cards are different for a triband phone. I just got a "free" phone from Cingular since I never intend to take the SIM card out of my 997...if I can get it to work...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Weissy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry just want to get this straight. You have the GSM module installed????? Mine has the face plate and the card slot but not the actual module that makes it all work. Did you get this retrofitted or did you get it this way from Germany, or do you actually have the module at all? Any info would be great because I have been trying to get this option for months now.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weissy
I am sorry just want to get this straight. You have the GSM module installed????? Mine has the face plate and the card slot but not the actual module that makes it all work. Did you get this retrofitted or did you get it this way from Germany, or do you actually have the module at all? Any info would be great because I have been trying to get this option for months now.
Thanks
Hi Weissy:

I have the telephone module for PCM (option 666...the irony...) factory installed. Right now it's a $960 emergency phone to 911 as the SIM card is not being read correctly by the module. I'm hoping it's the SIM card and not the module...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Hi Weissy:

I have the telephone module for PCM (option 666...the irony...) factory installed. Right now it's a $960 emergency phone to 911 as the SIM card is not being read correctly by the module. I'm hoping it's the SIM card and not the module...
It was a $960 option? As all(?) the equipment seems to be installed in my car I wonder what it will cost (and what ELSE I need to buy) for it to work.. Don't know that its worth much to me, especially since I have to either dedicate a phone number to the car (and leave the SIM in it) or dismantle my phone every time I get in.. I suppose I could have a second SIM card programmed to the same number also, has anyone done that?

Maybe i'll take a spin down to Danbury Porsche today and see what they have to say..
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It was a $960 option? As all(?) the equipment seems to be installed in my car I wonder what it will cost (and what ELSE I need to buy) for it to work.. Don't know that its worth much to me, especially since I have to either dedicate a phone number to the car (and leave the SIM in it) or dismantle my phone every time I get in..
Yeah...I added it last minute becuase I figured I'd try it out and that $1k in a $100k car wasn't that much more. Plus, my dealer gave me a bigger discount than I expected...gave the majority of it right back to him after adding the option...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Gary,

Cingular and T-mobile (only GSM carriers in Chicago worth a darn) will not allow cloning a SIM card with the same telephone number. Sucks...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Cingular and T-mobile (only GSM carriers in Chicago worth a darn) will not allow cloning a SIM card with the same telephone number. Sucks...
Wonder what happens with a lost/destroyed phone replacement if I want the same number?

Could be moot anyway. I agree, adding $1K to my sale wouldn't have made any difference then, but now i'm more into spending on a Fabspeed exhaust, Cool Air, custom wheels, etc. etc. etc...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:40 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Wonder what happens with a lost/destroyed phone replacement if I want the same number?

Could be moot anyway. I agree, adding $1K to my sale wouldn't have made any difference then, but now i'm more into spending on a Fabspeed exhaust, Cool Air, custom wheels, etc. etc. etc...
I highly agree that aftermarket mods like new wheels, etc are going to provide more pleasure than a handsfree telephone.

I think if you lose or destroy the SIM, the network will make you purchase a new one ($25!) and reprogram your number to that SIM. Your old SIM will then not log onto the network properly.

Be sure to let us know what mods you choose. Me, I'm going to install a short shifter as soon as I get some extra $$$...

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I highly agree that aftermarket mods like new wheels, etc are going to provide more pleasure than a handsfree telephone.

I think if you lose or destroy the SIM, the network will make you purchase a new one ($25!) and reprogram your number to that SIM. Your old SIM will then not log onto the network properly.

Be sure to let us know what mods you choose. Me, I'm going to install a short shifter as soon as I get some extra $$$...

Cheers!
Funny you say that, a short shifter will be my next addition, just waiting to see which one is best. The B&M that was shown before was a 996 item, not sure if the 997 witll be the same or not. If so, I may get the OEM model. I like the idea of metal parts but WTH. So far I tossed clear sides on and installed th 4 piece Canewal pedal set (inc. footrest). The pedals make an amazing difference when you look into the cockpit..

Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Okay an update...
1. My SIM card works fine in my Cingular phone and 2 other Cingular phones.

2. I programmed a PIN for my SIM card. When I install the SIM card the Cingular phones ask for the PIN and then it connects to the network in about 5 seconds.

3. An AT&T Wireless phone (although owned by Cingular!) will accept the SIM, ask for the PIN, but then displaies "wrong card" as the AT&T Wireless network is still not the same as the Cingular network.

4. My Porsche phone module still displays "checking card" and won't even ask for a PIN.

Therefore, it's not the SIM card, it's the Porsche phone module. Back to the dealer!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:02 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw in one more possibility...

"Standard" GSM tri-band phones run on EGSM 900 (USA), GSM 1800 (Europe) and GSM 1900 (Asia). I would imagine that the Porsche GSM phone works on the standard frequencies.

Cingular's GSM network (at least here in Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia) operates on GSM 850 (default), GSM 1800 and GSM 1900. (Note: GSM 850 is not a standard frequency and this is why there are Cingular-specific models of "tri-band" phones.) Depending on your geographic area, it is more than likely that only GSM 850 is available.

It is possible that when you insert your Cingular SIM card the Porsche phone is unable to connect to a network because EGSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900 are unavailable in your area.

I routinely travel to Europe which is why I went with T-Mobile since they use the standard frequencies. Yeah, it sucks that my cell reception overseas is much better than in my office but for the most part I am happy with T-Mobile's service.

Try installing a T-Mobile SIM card to see if that makes a difference. You may also try (if possible) to set the "preferred network" in your Cingular SIM card to either GSM 1800 or GSM 1900 (this may not be possible since you don't have a tri-band Cingular phone.)

Good luck,
Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay an update...
1. My SIM card works fine in my Cingular phone and 2 other Cingular phones.

2. I programmed a PIN for my SIM card. When I install the SIM card the Cingular phones ask for the PIN and then it connects to the network in about 5 seconds.

3. An AT&T Wireless phone (although owned by Cingular!) will accept the SIM, ask for the PIN, but then displaies "wrong card" as the AT&T Wireless network is still not the same as the Cingular network.

4. My Porsche phone module still displays "checking card" and won't even ask for a PIN.

Therefore, it's not the SIM card, it's the Porsche phone module. Back to the dealer!!!
As an experiment:
Did you try any of the other phones SIM cards in your car besides your own?
Just to see if no other SIM cards work
Old 02-14-2005, 11:49 PM
meridian911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cars build date is 10/04 and has the newer face with sos and phone options.It must have just made the new update.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:51 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Angry

Originally Posted by programmatore
Let me throw in one more possibility...

"Standard" GSM tri-band phones run on EGSM 900 (USA), GSM 1800 (Europe) and GSM 1900 (Asia). I would imagine that the Porsche GSM phone works on the standard frequencies.

Cingular's GSM network (at least here in Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia) operates on GSM 850 (default), GSM 1800 and GSM 1900. (Note: GSM 850 is not a standard frequency and this is why there are Cingular-specific models of "tri-band" phones.) Depending on your geographic area, it is more than likely that only GSM 850 is available.

It is possible that when you insert your Cingular SIM card the Porsche phone is unable to connect to a network because EGSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900 are unavailable in your area.

I routinely travel to Europe which is why I went with T-Mobile since they use the standard frequencies. Yeah, it sucks that my cell reception overseas is much better than in my office but for the most part I am happy with T-Mobile's service.

Try installing a T-Mobile SIM card to see if that makes a difference. You may also try (if possible) to set the "preferred network" in your Cingular SIM card to either GSM 1800 or GSM 1900 (this may not be possible since you don't have a tri-band Cingular phone.)

Good luck,
Thanks for the thoughts. But, PCM doesn't even let me put in a PIN. It just keeps giving the message "checking card" When I try to turn on the phone, it gives the message "SIM card not ready." I think that it's not reading the card properly...
Old 02-14-2005, 11:54 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
As an experiment:
Did you try any of the other phones SIM cards in your car besides your own?
Just to see if no other SIM cards work
No, I haven't had the chance to put another SIM card in, but I figure I'll try to let the dealer sort it out. I figure if my SIM card works in multiple Cingular phones with one almost 3 years old, it can't be the SIM card as every phone at least gets to the point where I'm inputing a PIN. Even the AT&T Wireless phone let me put in a PIN before giving me the message that it could not log in the network.

Quick Reply: Okay, anyone using the GSM phone???