997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning to porsche's under warranty!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005 | 11:54 PM
Jim H.
Pro

I find the DME readout ability very interesting. After hearing about how the factory test drives these cars and revs them hard to the limit before they ship them, I was concerned about over revs prior to my purchase. I think it would be interesting to see the DME data from before I took delivery of my GT3. What if Porsche didn't follow the engine break in recommendations they themselves publish (4k rpm limit for first 1,000 miles, or something like that)? If that were the case, it would seem that could form the basis for a good counter-argument down the road should things become acrimonius. Just food for thought. I think I'll ask for a print out next time I'm in the shop and see what's on the log file.

Seems like there will be a market for a DME log file eraser in the future, Huh?
Old 02-12-2005 | 12:20 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I'd buy it as a stand alone or as a module for a SnapOn MT2400. Better yet a modifier. Access it, view it, remake it anything you like. If there was market availability for anyone then the usefulness of the data would be eliminated even without owning one. How would they know what is real?

Then again, I could just get a 997 GT3 like yours and put the log file module dough into fun stuff... like the next set of tires.
Old 02-12-2005 | 09:20 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim H.
After hearing about how the factory test drives these cars and revs them hard to the limit before they ship them
Not just Porsche...all factories does this,it seems...they "apply cylinder pressure to bed the pistons rings properly" ...I've heard it firsthand from mechanics at Ducati,Ford,Suzuki,Yamaha and Honda factories. Neither of these manufacturers have gone away from the "written,2000+mile easy break-in." But they still dyno every piece they make,for several minutes,at high load/high rpm.

Seems like there will be a market for a DME log file eraser in the future, Huh?
You can bet anything on such a tool already existing...I guess that's the last Porsche tool to touch the car before it leaves the grounds.
Old 02-12-2005 | 10:30 AM
baboou
Instructor

Porsche dynos every engine for more than a few minutes and after warmup the engine is redlined while data is recorded. Engines are rejected if minimum HP is not reached. Indeed, most engines produce more than the advertised HP.
Further, the Porsche drivers run the cars through the gears well above 4000 RPM for the duration of the test drive. That's why I believe the 2000 mile breakin is nothing more than overkill. Although to cover my *** I am following the breakin period or at least staying as close to it as I can.

Although it was a number of years ago I witnessed the above on two factory tours.
Old 02-12-2005 | 03:55 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

i find it interesting to note that Ferrari does(did) the exact opposite.

when the F50 (maybe the Enzo) came out, you had to be a previous owner of at least two Ferrari's and you had to track the car. if they checked the car's computer and saw that you were not driving the car as intended, they would void your lease and take the car back...
Old 02-12-2005 | 04:27 PM
alin330
Instructor

when the F50 (maybe the Enzo) came out, you had to be a previous owner of at least two Ferrari's and you had to track the car. if they checked the car's computer and saw that you were not driving the car as intended, they would void your lease and take the car back...

WOW! Now that’s a Real Sports Car Maker.
Old 02-12-2005 | 05:23 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Originally Posted by baboou
Porsche dynos every engine for more than a few minutes and after warmup the engine is redlined while data is recorded. Engines are rejected if minimum HP is not reached. Indeed, most engines produce more than the advertised HP.
Further, the Porsche drivers run the cars through the gears well above 4000 RPM for the duration of the test drive. That's why I believe the 2000 mile breakin is nothing more than overkill. Although to cover my *** I am following the breakin period or at least staying as close to it as I can.

Although it was a number of years ago I witnessed the above on two factory tours.

Maybe it is just to keep new owners from killing themselves in the first few days of ownership?
Old 02-12-2005 | 05:39 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SYMA
This coming from a company that offers track events like the Porsche Driving Experience and pays top retired race drivers to lure us to the possibilities of these cars.
and then sells those improperly broken in cars which are tracked 100% of the time in PDE possession through porsche dealers with the balance of the factory warranty. if mere autocrossing (dicking around in a stadium parking lot full of cones in the case of the car which is the basis for this thread) is grounds for warranty denial since presumably it producing life reducing stress, what kind of fraud is it to sell 100% tracked cars?

Last edited by ben in lj; 02-12-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2005 | 06:17 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
Maybe it is just to keep new owners from killing themselves in the first few days of ownership?
at the very least a couple hundred miles is needed to break in the tires and bed the brake pads. additionally, while the engine is dynoed, the rest of the drivetrain is not which is partially why the recommended break in.

btw, nice to hear porsche has finally figured out how to handle the defective RMS design present since the inception of the Boxster and 99X - just deny claims any way possible.
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:09 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

My friend said that the cars he drove at Porsche Driving Experience had 800-1000 miles on them!

What Break In?
Old 02-12-2005 | 08:15 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
My friend said that the cars he drove at Porsche Driving Experience had 800-1000 miles on them!

What Break In?
exactly my point!
Old 02-13-2005 | 12:35 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by ben in lj
at the very least a couple hundred miles is needed to break in the tires and bed the brake pads..
Strangely...I usually do so in less than a mile on the nearest racetrack...or 3-4 miles on the road... There's no need for scrubbing off the first 1/8" of the tires to make them work...they do so within the first half hour of normal driving,all you need to do is make them hot once,then the "lubes" from the moulds are gone... Same for brake pads,a few gentle stops to get the "solid" feel to the pedal,and you're set.
Old 02-13-2005 | 12:59 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The DME will record all over revs. But there are different types, one is simply hitting the rev limiter (no big deal), another would be a missed shift type. With a missed shift, 5 to 2 for example the driveline will continue spinning the crankshaft rgardless of the fuel cut off from the rev limiter.
My PDE car had 1400 miles.
Old 02-13-2005 | 12:33 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Some of this stuffing coming from Porsche lately doesn't make sense! They encourage performance driving through their own sponsored schools and the multitude of PCA offerings. I couldn't imagine an AutoX being grounds for this case unless someone was really trashing the car around the course.
Old 02-13-2005 | 12:38 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

It is a mystery to me too! If I had not sat there and seen with my own 2 eyes I would be skeptical.

He should have the arbitrators decion by tues the 14th!

Wild!

Quick Reply: Warning to porsche's under warranty!!!