Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning to porsche's under warranty!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005 | 09:20 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by SYMA
As a matter of fact I'm forwarding this to my attorney's that I know are hungry for a class action. Beats ambulance chassers anyday.
They'd better get started before the act limiting class actions approved by the Senate yesterday becomes law.
Old 02-11-2005 | 09:48 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

You better believe they can see every shift and over rev etc and even the hour it was done!

Bet the dealer didnt tell you that when he was explaing how the radio worked!
Old 02-11-2005 | 10:31 AM
BD997
Racer

thanks for the heads up Rob....
Old 02-11-2005 | 10:45 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PV
"All DME records of revs"

Please expand on this statement. What do you mean with this?
The DME as read by the Porsche System Tester (PST2 or PIWIS) records two classes of over-revs.
TYPE 1 = When you bump the rev-limiter (7200 rpm)
TYPE 2 = Mechanical over-revs (A missed down shift) you pass 7200 rpm

These recordings stay forever in the DME and to my knowledge can not be erased.
Old 02-11-2005 | 11:33 AM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by MJones
The DME as read by the Porsche System Tester (PST2 or PIWIS) records two classes of over-revs.
TYPE 1 = When you bump the rev-limiter (7200 rpm)
TYPE 2 = Mechanical over-revs (A missed down shift) you pass 7200 rpm
Type 2 overrev I could understand dealer assigning culpability to owner and denying coverage of collateral damage caused, since a type 2 mechanical overrev could conceivably force the revs to 7.5 or 8.0K (back-pressure may limit at some point?), but for the sake of argument what is the punishment for bouncing off rev limiter at 7200 while accelerating? not that I plan to do it (much) but seems like that should be permissible.
Old 02-11-2005 | 12:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The whole thing that SUCKS with this issue is that the:
A) 2nd RMS
B) Billowing smoke issue.
Niether issue has to do with, nor a result of Type 1 or 2 DME readings.

The Smoke issue is more to do with the fact that the M96 engines "intigrated dry sump" oiling system, under high "G" loading in corners and possibly somthing to do with the oil separator.
Old 02-11-2005 | 12:29 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

One more reason which dealer you buy your car from, and maintaining a good relationship with the service guys there...should the sh*t hit the fan on your car one day these guys can pretty much make it/or not make it happen for you. 'Know what I mean?...
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I feel like I'm going to be sick. I trusted her, I protected her, I paid her way, and it turns out that she has been recording all my FLAWS for someone else's defense in any possible future court case! So the two of them can bend me over, tell me to put my elbows on the table, and... and... stick CANCELED on MY WARRANTY?

I'm so flippin' dissappointed in Porsche. I'm gonna puke.
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:20 PM
mamoroso
Racer

With all due respect I think it is a little unreasonable to expect PAG to pay for anyone's mistakes.
I do not think the intended use for any car is to be over revved or redlined constantly for 1h.
I think when we take the cars to the track we should be aware of the consequences.
I see missing a downshift in the same league as missing an apex and hitting the wall. I would have to pay for hitting the wall...
I am sure that an arbitrator would understand if you miss your shift points 1-2-5 times... but if you combine that with long sessions at redline then maybe a little doubt that the car has been abused could be justified.
Ask yourself if you'd sincerely buy a car knowing it has been used on the track for its intended purpose.
I think PAG has the right to provide with those records. The arbitrator will decide whether that means that the car was just fulfilling its purpose.
Just my .02
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:21 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by MJones
The whole thing that SUCKS with this issue is that the:
A) 2nd RMS
B) Billowing smoke issue.
Niether issue has to do with, nor a result of Type 1 or 2 DME readings.

The Smoke issue is more to do with the fact that the M96 engines "intigrated dry sump" oiling system, under high "G" loading in corners and possibly somthing to do with the oil separator.
Sorry didn't mean to blur the issue with post on overrev, it is different issue than billowing smoke and RMS failure....as others have said, how nice it would be if a true dry sump engine had been adapted to the 997
Old 02-11-2005 | 01:56 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
This is becoming a common practice among all manufacturers these days - Not just Porsche.

It's scary because it makes a statement of "We do not stand by our product for its intended use" by some of the major manufacturers.
You're right, although I have heard it claimed recently that a Corvette's warranty is NOT voided by track use. If true, that makes the Corvette an even better value.

Regardless, I agree completely that Porsche is falling down my taking this stance. Even if I never had any intention of tracking or DE'ing my car I would be disappointed in them not backing their cars better than this.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:15 PM
MMD
Banned

It seems to prove that it is nonsense to think "the engine is built to be driven hard." You know, guys who drive with a heavy foot routinely justify it by saying the engine was built to take it.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:40 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I thought the whole car could handle being driven hard. What does " a winning endurance race heritage " add the the car? Seriously is there really something overbuilt, or properly built, about a GT3 that allows it to be driven hard with Porsche's blessing? If so, I'm going to sell this Carrera S now while the market is still demand high and wait for the 997 GT3.

After I work out the frustration on the heavy bag, that is.
Old 02-11-2005 | 02:55 PM
OH997
Pro

Let me see if I gotthis right. I buy a car made to drive fast. I drive it fast. The company I buy it from gets mad and screws me.

I bought a car that cost $90+K. The stock market went up without that money, the value of my car went down the second I drove it off the lot. The car company screws me again.

Tell me Porsche, when do you get yours? Is it when I dump $90K on a Mercedes CLS? I can see the tag line now, “Porsche, there is no substitute….for a good attorney”.

I am not advocatin hours or abuse but who's to say that 2 seconds overrev won't be thrown at you at court. The more disturbing issue is looking at the race record of the car. What if you raced but never exceded rev limits. It's a joke.
Old 02-11-2005 | 03:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

this is an outrage. now if you took your car club racing, sure i understand that warranty is voided. but auto crossing and DE??? give me a break. this is not ABUSING the freaking car. driving a car hard is not abusing a car. now if i missed a downshift and blew the motor, i will eat it. but you CAN'T overrev these car, there's a fuel cut off. it cuts in before you have a chance to blow up your engine. if it didn't cut in, then it's clearly mal functioning and needs warranty repair (not inc money shifts of course) so if i drove my car at 8000rpm all day, that's abuse????? non sense, i am not hitting the rev limiter..

Quick Reply: Warning to porsche's under warranty!!!